Playing games with rats

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
StormySkye

Playing games with rats

Post by StormySkye » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:52 am

Anyone got any games they play with their ratties? I want to make free-range a bit more interesting :) One of my girls enjoys chasing and wrestling with my hand, but the others just look at me like a I'm a fool when I try it with them :roll:
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

CatherineP

Re: Playing games with rats

Post by CatherineP » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:04 pm

Hmm, my youngsters Roly and Bramble like to play "Run at Mummy for a hand-wrestle, run away in a big circle and then run back for more wrestling" or "Try to get past Mummy to the other side of the room".

They also love a good game of "Jump on the Sofa, be put back on the floor by Mummy and jump up again and try to evade capture".
Catherine

Proudly owned by Marmite, BabyBear, Hamish, Haggis, Jeemy, Bramble, Roly and Willow but missing Ozzy, Lemmy, Yoshi, Jelly, Chutney, Honey, Daisy, Peanut Butter, Cocopops, Murphy and Pickle always x

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:52 pm

CatherineP wrote:Hmm, my youngsters Roly and Bramble like to play "Run at Mummy for a hand-wrestle, run away in a big circle and then run back for more wrestling"
Fizz and Inga do this but if I do it to the others they look at me like I've gone mad.

Chasing feather wands is always fun too.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

lamb

Post by lamb » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:45 pm

Put a blanket over your head and make lots of silly noises. Mine love it. I bought one of them wooden jigsaw things for kids with little nobs on the pieces. I put tiny bits of treats under them and let them sniff them out. (£2 Asda)Another one I pinched from 'It's me or the dog' place a treat under a plastic cup and mix it up with another 2. Its fun watching them try and tip the cup over,especially when one is sitting on top of it :lol: Thought of another one, blow at them with a straw when they are not looking. Their face is a picture :o

daffee

Post by daffee » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:21 pm

Playing race up and down the stairs (with several rats and a person at the top and bottom of the stairs to call/ rattle yoggie pot) is usually fun for a fair while.

A treat ball on the floor usually keeps them occupied once they've figured it out. The carrot patch rabbit toys are also good - hide treats under the carrots.

Leaving them things they can 'steal' eg food or paper scraps can keep them happy and stop them raiding your bins and fruit bowls as much :lol:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

CatherineP

Post by CatherineP » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:36 pm

I love that jigsaw idea!
Catherine

Proudly owned by Marmite, BabyBear, Hamish, Haggis, Jeemy, Bramble, Roly and Willow but missing Ozzy, Lemmy, Yoshi, Jelly, Chutney, Honey, Daisy, Peanut Butter, Cocopops, Murphy and Pickle always x

lauren23

Post by lauren23 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:26 am

i
daffee wrote:
A treat ball on the floor usually keeps them occupied once they've figured it out. The carrot patch rabbit toys are also good - hide treats under the carrots.
my girls have never managed to figure a treat ball out (now it's just a chew toy)... I look at one of them and start to question the whole 'rats are intelligent idea' :lol:

LucyLou84

Post by LucyLou84 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:46 pm

I have a piece of string which the girls love to run after I pull it up an down the room, be warned your arm aches after a while making them run back and forth after it they never seem to want to quit when they start.
x
Proud Mam to girls Bailey and Berry
Owned by rats since 1996

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:38 pm

I once did the little paper basket on the end of string with a treat in it with Mitts, one of my first 2 rats. she pulled it up instantly and then refused to do it ever again!
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

Angela38

Post by Angela38 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:00 pm

Hiya, my rats love pea fishing. You get a container, fill the bottom of the container with frozen peas ( you don't have to cook them) then fill the container as close to the top as you can with boiling water, wait for the water to cool down then let the rats go pea fishing. I use a small/medium dog bowl for this or sometimes one of those plastic takeaway containers, i put the bowl on a old bath towel on the floor and just watch them. Some of them grab the peas with their feet, some dunk their whole head in the water to catch a pea.
Another thing i do is i fill a cat litter tray with compose and plant grass seeds or cress, wait for the seeds to just be sprouting, put the tray on a old towel and let the rats go digging, this one can get very messy, it is another one thats fascinating to watch, it's strange how they dig in different ways. Some do it just with the nose, some with front legs and some with all their legs. You can put other treats deep down in the compose.
You can use the centre of the toilet rolls for putting treats in then fill both ends with shredded paper or what you use for bedding for the rats, then watch.Some figure it out by pulling out the bedding/shredded paper, some just rip the toilet roll apart. Best to use strong smelling treats for this one, if you make little holes in the side of the tube, they know something is in there then.
You could introduce them to swimming in your bath. I've never had any luck with this one, but i only take in older rescued rats and i think swimming has to be introduced when they are very young. Don't fill the bath at first, put just enough water in the bath to touch their bellies, to see if they like it, if they do, you can add more water each time they go swimming. You must have something for them to climb onto, 1.so they got somewhere to go if they not quite sure about the water and 2. so they got somewhere to go if they get tired, so somewhere to rest basically.
HAVE FUN
R.I.P My special girls, hope you've all found each other. Love you and miss you always, Vanilla, Biscuit, Cookie, Truffles and Treacle.....
Now a new mum to 2 gorgeous boys Cracker and Rocket.....