Your thoughts and comments please.....

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
newby

Your thoughts and comments please.....

Post by newby » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:20 pm

Having had the great pleasure of sharing my life with 7 ratty boys, I am now down to one. I had already decided that I couldnt keep rats in the future as I just cant cope with the short life span. Apart from my original heart rat (an unplanned rescue who did live alone) the other boys have come to me in pairs. Unfortunately, of my youngest two, Moss lost his brother unexpectedly and way too young. He's about 18 months old now.
The dilemma is - do I keep him or let him go now?
Options:
* Adopt another of his brothers. This boy does have some chesty issues and he'll be better looked after if he stays with his breeder although my initial thought was to have him. But if I have him, he may go ahead of Moss and I'm back in the same situation as well as suffering another loss
* Let Moss go back to his breeder. He'll be part of a gang and never alone as well as receiving excellent loving care. I will then say goodbye while he is still alive and avoid some of the grief when he goes to the bridge.
I'm so torn. Moss is such a gorgeous little guy but he's had a hard time of it losing all his friends. I feel he lost confidence when his brother died in March and then his last cage mate was pts a couple of weeks ago. I'd say he's been depressed but he is just starting to want to interact with me again and use the hammock and 'outdoor' areas of the cage rather than staying indoors. He's getting just a little more adventurous free ranging as well, having always been the less bold member of the gang.
Can I be selfless enough to let him go, especially as he'll be my last ratty - I'll be giving up one of my family. Or can I take on the added grief of another boy who may be with me for 6 months if I'm lucky.
I know I'm not alone in this as I see others say they dont keep rats any more for the same reason and I so admire those that share their lives with these beautiful creatures despite the inevitable grief.
Even as I write this, I'm in tears and swinging from one decision to the other. Only I can make the decision but I would appreciate your thoughts. :cry:

Neotoma

Re: Your thoughts and comments please.....

Post by Neotoma » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:03 pm

It's a tricky one, but if you are definitely not wanting to keep more rats after this lad, I would let him go back to his breeder to join a gang. The problem with adopting another boy is that you'll just be in this situation again one way or another in the next year or so. It sounds like you are on good terms with the breeder, so you could ask to be updated with pictures etc, and maybe even visit if you wanted to soften the separation. You're obviously considering rehoming in the best interests of the lad, and in a responsible manner, so she probably won't mind keeping you involved
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

acapae_wolf

Re: Your thoughts and comments please.....

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:08 pm

If you're in good contact with the breeder (or a rescue), depending on the individual they might be willing to lend you a couple of their rats as company for him until he goes.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on