grinding teeth and biting bars

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
emma10

grinding teeth and biting bars

Post by emma10 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:12 am

my little one (ok hes not so little anymore, about 6 months) seems to have developed a bad habit. Theres one little area in the cage and hes obsessed with biting the bars there. He also seems to be grinding his teeth more.

Any ideas? I know somethings up with Bilo but i can't put my finger on it. And the sound is driving me insane!

ETA: this might sound silly or irrelevant, but something i've noticed about his mouth. When i stroke the others under their chins i can quite clearly feel their teeth poking out. However when i do it to little man and then have a look, his mouth is completely closed, cute really, shape of his mouth looks like he has a sad face.
Mummy to Billy, Maxi and Bilo <3

Goodbye Dento, hope you find a forever home my squidgey<3

cantfink

Re: grinding teeth and biting bars

Post by cantfink » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:39 am

Hey,
In the past my girls bitting the cage usually comes down to either wanting to get out or boredom.

If you don't already try scatter feeding or hiding treats in scrunched up tissues around the cage etc. anything to give them a bit more to do when there in the cage... actually a hard boiled egg in its shell is so cute and keeps them entertained for awhile.

Search on here and theres loads of ideas and things you can do, and on google search for drapper rat or dapper rat, theres some well good ideas on there!

Not sure about the teeth, I think thats normal but hopefully some one else will comment. :luck:
Ratty Girls: Ada, Grace, Motorway and Terror.

Dinky

Post by Dinky » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:00 am

Agreed bordem could be the answer, however....when does he do it?
Just before play time?
After play time?
Any time in the cage?

One of my boys, Travis chews the bars in frustration before and after play time.......they have set play times, so know when they are due to come out (his way of screaming 'let me out! Now, woman!'. Most of the time in the cage he is a good boy and does not chew the bars.....now and again he will, be it bordem, or trying to get our attention so we get him out. He has also passed the bad habit on to Harry now, but Harry only does the chewing before play time.

We think Travis is a bit of an attention seeker rather than bored (or we like to think so) as they have a range of activities in their cage :) could your boy be an attention seeker too?
Lisa is owned by Harry, Travis and Spencer
:rainbow: Little Husk, Ninja-man; Kes, beautiful blue; Alfie; Big boy Rex; Fussy boy; Wilson - always with me

emma10

Post by emma10 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:34 am

dinky that sounds about right. He does it whilst im having breakfast or eating near the cage. I used you spoil them with whatever i was having but soon realised that lead to fat rats! Maybe hes doing it for attention.

If not then i don't know. I do scatter feed and give them something more interesting to eat every other day. I've recently bought a wheel too and he adores it!
Mummy to Billy, Maxi and Bilo <3

Goodbye Dento, hope you find a forever home my squidgey<3

Marianimal

Post by Marianimal » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:11 am

I have a couple of girls that bite the bars when they want to come out - the sound drives me up the wall! >< I've noticed that it's always the more active, younger ones and they're fine if they come out for just half an hour - normally they've already been out, but obviously not for long enough! :lol:

Those dangling balls that you can put treats in are a good boredom breaker, I have a square one that I normally put a slice of bread in - that certainly keeps them busy! And I have noticed that most of it stopped when I started scatter feeding them.
FP Girls, Oldies, Pink Wrinklies and Wrinkle Men II.
Sleep tight everyone else.

Bazu

Post by Bazu » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:08 am

I've got one rat who's a little terror for this :angry: I'm certain it's not boredom, because she does it even after a good 1hr+ freerange, with scattered food, plenty of things to do in the cage and even when I've only changed the cage layout a few hours beforehand, so there's still plenty of exploring to do. And just to make it worse, she always waits until ten minutes after I've gone to bed, regardless of whether I go to bed at 10:30pm or 2am (the cage is in my room). It's not even like there's nothing else she could chew in there - there's cardboard, fabric, wood, other metal, cuttlebone, plastic, lava ledge, mineral blocks... It's just the bars, though :angry:

If anyone happens to have a miracle cure, please feel free to let me know - I'm going to end up dosing the bars with cayenne pepper and superglue at this rate!
Orca, Minke, Myst, Nova, Exi and Fye

Never forget you Isis, my little whiskery angel...

Lostgirl08

Post by Lostgirl08 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:28 pm

I have a bar biter but I think shes a little crazy to be honest defi not bored, just in her own world I also think it's habit with her at times of stress as she doesn't have huge rattie social skills. So if someone bugs her she'll run to the bottom of the cage and chew bars for a little bit then she's fine
My girls- Rosie, Tinker, Lyra, Indy, Belle, Pixie, Rain and Neiva
The boys- megaton, Ironhide, optimus prime, barricade, B and starscream
Run Free- Poppy 10.7.11
Plus Oliver toast,peppa,foxy,zeb,bear, Levi and Bruce

RFarrell93

Post by RFarrell93 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:16 pm

I read somewere cant remember were now that when they grind there teeth it means theyre happy by investigating something or sniffing around i always thought this was true because then when i watched my rats when i got them out they did this teeth grinding noise whilst smelling different things like toys and tunnels etc.
:love: Rosie (Agouti) :love: Silvia (Silver Hooded Fawn)