Progress!!!!

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
kingbuxton13

Progress!!!!

Post by kingbuxton13 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Had my ratties just coming up 2 weeks, and had best free range session thus far yesterday.

Based on alot of advise on here, I took a different approach. The cage is next to my daughters bed, so I stripped all the bedding off, and plonked them on there with me and Molly (my daughter btw.)

They did their usual ie got all exited and did their business everywhere, but once they calmed down it was all good.

Dave, the lively skitty one just ran off and got back in the cage. No matter how many times I got him out he just ran back into there, bless him. He never bites, he is just a bit of a nervous hypo thing.

Ian on the other hand was an angel. He was happy to roam a bit, but just liked coming close to both me and Mol. Just for a bit of a cuddle. He was happy to clamber all over us and just generally be close. Molly loved it, which was a main reason to get rats in the first place. The intention was/is for them to go in the shed, but she cant live without them in her room at night. She goes to bed grand now. The only problem was the smell....until I bought that tap a drop.

If the rats dont progress beyond what they are now (new cage Saturday woo hoo!) then I am perfectly satisfied with that, but im hoping we can get them to come to you on command, stop pooing AROUND the litter tray, and try and instil some confidence in Dave. Again, even if that doesnt happen, rats where a brilliant choice.

rattypetrolhead

Re: Progress!!!!

Post by rattypetrolhead » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Yay, they sound like they're settling in well. The more you put into them the more you get back, so they will improve with more handling, attention, free range time etc.

Might be worth investing in a ratty throw or something to cover Molly's bed - saves you having to strip the bed everytime :wink: You could also use it to cover the sofa if you fancy letting the boys have an explore elsewhere.

Good news though! :luck:
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

kingbuxton13

Post by kingbuxton13 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:11 pm

Sorry,

When I say strip the bed I just mean take pillows and duvet off so there is nowhere to hide. Saying that Ian just went up my bloody trouser leg instead.

rattypetrolhead

Post by rattypetrolhead » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:07 pm

:lol: He he! I get it now :oops:
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

littlebabyribbon

Post by littlebabyribbon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:26 am

I got a piece of the wipe down table covering fabric from the fabric store and put a fleece blanket over the top for when I free range my litters.
Glad to hear they are settling in

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:34 am

Picnic blankets are great for that too, water proof backing.

In terms of them pooing in the litter tray, try moving all there droppings into the tray, it sometimes works. Thy will naturally learn to not poo outside the cage unless there outside for a really long time, or just after they’ve woken up. Even then they generally try and go in one place, I find putting a bit of kitchen roll or tissue out and putting any I find on there soon leads to them actually going to that place to poo. There’s not much you can do about them marking but they will stop leaving massive puddles (unless again they’ve been out for a while or just woken up – my lads even start to get jiggly when they need it whilst trying to not wee all over me and will choose to go somewhere else if it’s an option).

With Dave I would recommend keeping up what your doing, get him out and keep handling him, as much as possible, when he’s out and about block his cage off if you can and keep picking him up and putting him down. He will try and get back in the cage but if you can move it whilst there out then this will help him learn to confront his fears rather than hiding from them. Keep it up for a good 30 minutes plus a day and he will improve in leaps and bounds. This helps speed up the settling in process, though he will probably come out of his shell over time anyway. I must say when I'm playing with my new babies they don't get anywhere to hide in the cage or out of it for the first few weeks, only when there happy to sit out in the open do i start introducing it. This leads to pretty confident and bombproof rats (along with various other things like taking them to shows and to meet pleanty of people). In fact i had my new babies out last night and they were perfectly content to fall asleep on there sides (exposing most of there bellys) on my knee in the open, it was lovely. Admittedly these are breeder lads and from 2 of the best in my opinion but i do normally get to this stage fairly quickly with all my rats.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

kingbuxton13

Post by kingbuxton13 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:32 pm

THanks for that.

Took the cage away and Dave was forced to play with me, Molly and my neice. He was coming over and climbing all over us. Still dead skitty though, but a friendly enough guy none the less.

Ian again, is a hero. Not bothered by any of it.

Re litter training, I always put the poo in the tray in the corner, they seem to poo around it, and there is litter around it as if they have scooped some out.