Quick intro question

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
izzerie

Quick intro question

Post by izzerie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:38 am

Last night we introduced our four baby girls to our 5 month old girls for the first time and things went incredibly well :D there wasn't even a squeak as they all ran around happily together- it was like they have always been together! However, I did have a quick question about something that happened.

Hettie (one of the babies) mounted Annie (one of the 5 month olds) ALOT. And when I say a lot I mean about 20 times in half an hour! I know this in itself isn't a problem because I have seen Annie do this to her sister Matilda a lot, it's just about dominance. The difference here was that everytime Hettie mounted Annie, Annie's ears practically vibrated, her eyes boggled and she lifted her rear end up. What does this mean? Is it a positive sign or a sign that Annie isn't happy? I thought ears wiggling like that meant Annie was on heat but Hettie is definitely a girl! Annie didn't seem bothered and once Hettie had finished she just ran off as if nothing had happened.

Other than this the girls got on incredibly well and will be housed tougher within a matter of days me thinks! :D
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

rattypetrolhead

Re: Quick intro question

Post by rattypetrolhead » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:41 am

One rat being in heat is just an opportunity for another rat to try and dominate them some more - they're easy targets :wink:
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:56 am

It also sounds like Annie was on heat (ear vibrating), this happens quite a lot to female rats when meating other strange females and makes intro's go particularly well.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:41 pm

So is that a problem then? We can continue with intros as planned? Just wondering if Annie was on beat and she was an easy target that when she comes off heat all hell will break loose..?
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:45 pm

Continue with intros as normal, should be fine, its an added bonus that you dont always get
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

yuuki_forever

Post by yuuki_forever » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:58 pm

Heats can make the intros go easier, the older girl is more interested in being humped than who's doing the humping and by the time she's off heat they're way past the 'strangers' barrier.
Rukia, Misaki and Mai

Forever in my heart; Rose, Buffy, Willow, Lucius, Malachi, Morrigan, Merrick, Yuuki and Shirou

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks guys :) well we put the girls together again last night and there was a bit more humping but not a lot and the girls still got on really well :) we're currently carrying out some cage maintenance so have moved Annie and Matilda out of their tall chinchilla and into a freddy- we've put the babies in as well as we felt they got on well enough outside of the cage. It's only been 30mins but they absolutely fine :D sharing food and sleeping areas and running around together like little mad things :D