new owner , one rat really friendly, other a bit less so

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
elsoss180

new owner , one rat really friendly, other a bit less so

Post by elsoss180 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi all,

We got 2 young bucks from pets at home ( not ideal i know), one (jack) is really friendly, comes to see me every time i open the door, and has no problems being handled and stroked, has never bitten or even nibbled..... the other (victor) is much more reserved, sits back and watches a lot, he has walked along my arm a few times, so i dont think he is afraid of me, but has given me a couple of bites,he seems to think my fingertips are lunch!! i understand all rats have different personalities, just wondering if anyone with a bit more experience of rats can give me any advice? thanks very much.....Scott :lol: Jack :dumbohalo: and victor :dumbo:

Ceslater

Re: new owner , one rat really friendly, other a bit less so

Post by Ceslater » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:33 pm

my experience is that even rats who are related can be compleatly the opposite (like human siblings). kale and rowan are both from a breeder and so were handled since birth, however right from the start rowan has always been compleatly in your face...kale has always been a little more retiscent and if something is going to make them scared, first one under something is going to be kale.
as long as he isn't biting hard, a little eep sound should be fine to stop it. just keep doing what you are doing, it just takes some a little longer than others to figure out that there isn't anything to worry about. x
deimos...kale...rowan...elvis
jack, alfie, obe, bean, bali and petal. love you all always. x
http://outfitappropriate.blogspot.com

elsoss180

Post by elsoss180 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:15 pm

hi, thanks for posting, have just cleaned the cage and had to get victor out, so stroked him then picked him up... after a brief resistance he seemed very happy for me to hold and stroke him so hopefully its progress! had to put him in the carry case while we cleaned cage, jack was in his giant ball and seemed happy exploring. after about 10 mins they were both fast asleep!! picked victor up and placed him back in cage with no problems at all, very happy with that! being new to rat ownership we figured this was all we could do while cleaning cage, all suggestions and advice would be gratefully received. as i type this, they are snuggled up in the hammock so i reckon they dont have any issues with their brief imprisonment lol....

Scott :-o
Jack :dumbo:
Victor :dumbo:

Nichmerry

Post by Nichmerry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:27 pm

My two girls are the same. Scout is full of beans and into everything but Gwen is quite happy to stay in the cage most of the time. I think with Gwen it might be because of her eyesight (she has ruby eyes) and so feels safer when she knows where she is. When I do pick her up (after a bit of chasing!) she is fine once she realises where she is and that she is safe.

The more you interact with your rat, the easier it will get. It sounds like you are making excellent progress already!
Nichola and her girls: Scout and Gwen

Still missing her boys: Ally and Logan

HannahJ82

Post by HannahJ82 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:28 pm

Sounds quite normal to me :) don't worry about it, just give them time, be patient and calm. When you feel more confident you could try carrying the wary rat around in your hoody or jumper so he learns you are a nice safe place and gets used to you. Plenty of gentle handling and positive reinforcement with tasty treats should help.
Hannah J

Tiny "Tots", Poe, Seth, Trumpet, Bugle, Sweep, Aniseed, Templeton, Mr Gosh, Vega, Pie, Zero, Pan, Aether, Raggamuffin.
RIP Rocky, Devy, Lump, Aleister, Loki, Jester, Flay, Sooty, Baby.

TheBall

Post by TheBall » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:16 pm

Oh that sounds like Ronnie and Reggie we had from P@H. When first settling in, Ronnie showed himself as the adventourous one, coming to cage door and exploring the living room and such quite boldly, where as Reggie would come to cage door sniff fingers and run off. Just got to be patient, Reggie comes to the door and comes out to play but is still more reserved then Ronnie which is how his personality is pretty much.

If Victor is nibbling your fingers and not biting then he's learning about you, my Reggie did (and still does) nibble where as Ronnie just leaps out and goes nuts, licking and racing around on the floor/me etc.. and has now taken to leaving his 'mark' on me too :roll: :lol:

elsoss180

Post by elsoss180 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks for replying folks, looks like its quite common to have 2 differing characters! just a little question, is it a dominance thing in any way, as Jack appears to have become the dominant one of the pair? Have handled Victor a bit more today and he seems fine with me, not as lively as Jack who just wants to explore and run around like a madman!

Thanks again :)

kingbuxton13

Post by kingbuxton13 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:27 am

elsoss180 wrote:Thanks for replying folks, looks like its quite common to have 2 differing characters! just a little question, is it a dominance thing in any way, as Jack appears to have become the dominant one of the pair? Have handled Victor a bit more today and he seems fine with me, not as lively as Jack who just wants to explore and run around like a madman!

Thanks again :)
Sounds exactly the same as my too. ish.

I have one really reserved and yet friendly one. The other is a bit shy but overly curious runs everywhere.