First intro's - need advice

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
Rach210

First intro's - need advice

Post by Rach210 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:36 pm

I lost one of my 2 year old boys, jack' on thursday leaving his brother charlie alone. I immediately started looking for some friends for him and thankfully my boyfriend was mad enough to volunteer to drive me 350 miles to get these guys:
http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/v ... 1&t=156036
They are lovely boys but kamina is quite hormonal and is off to the vets to be neutered asap since he took a chunk out of the OH's finger today and tried to beat charlie up during intro's.

Trouble is charlie is terrified of all 3 of them, even viral who does nothing but sleep. trying to introduce him and charlie went something like this:
VIral: *dozing*
Charlie: *terrified squealing*
Viral: ???

So I could do with some advice on how to proceed. I was thinking of trying charlie and viral together in the Ruffy cage and if that goes ok adding simon then introducing kamina in when he's neutered. Is that a good way to go about it?
Owned by Jack and Charlie my two fatty ratties

Werepuppy

Re: First intro's - need advice

Post by Werepuppy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:44 pm

Oh dear, naughty Kamina! Sorry your OH had to be on the receiving end. :oops: Hope he's alright!

I've had squealing rat issues before, but if it were me, I would leave Viral and Charlie together in the Ruffy with no hidey holes or hammocks, make sure you have 2 food bowls and 2 water bottles (if possible) and leave them be. Viral will hopefully calm Charlie down, it must be so confusing for him and I bet he's freaked out after Kamina beat him up. Take it slowly. It might take a few weeks to get things sorted.
My rats: Possum, Tasmania, Henna, & Trinity!
And lastly my kitties; Neko & Oliver.
RIP Toffee, Inky, Boota, Balthazar, Lady Serenity & Rosetta :dumbohalo:

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:52 pm

p.s. it might take a week or 2 for Kamina to calm down after his castration, and make sure he goes on some antibiotics after the operation, as i've had my fair share of castration site abscesses....

Btw, if Charlie just keeps avoiding Viral in the Ruffy after a day or two, I would advise putting them in one of your carriers together and go for a short 30 min drive. This should make Charlie forget about screeching at Viral and cuddle up with him and hopefully realize new company isn't always bad. I would advise this when you first introduce Kamina back to the group too.

Rach210

Post by Rach210 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:02 pm

Thanks that was pretty much what I was planning to do, I'm glad you agree.

Also, Simon was really confused by Charlie's lack of testicles, he went for a sniff, had a look further under, used his paw to try and lift the base of charlie's tail for a good look, then turned to me and Ben as if to say 'but where are they?'

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:06 am

It sounds like you shouldn't have much problem with Simon, bless him. Hope things have gone alright tonight.
I remember when I first got Tasmania she spent the first night screaming her head off at any rat that came near her, in the end I had to put her in a carrier on her own so I could sleep as I was sharing the same room. I redid intros in the bath on a towel and things went a lot smoother after then. Did you do the initial intro on neutral grounds?

dibble

Post by dibble » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:54 pm

I remember when Tasmania was first here.... she screeched her head off in the cage and the
other rats didn't know what to do cos she was just randomly screeching.. :o

but, it turns out, she was really still a baby... :baby:

so it must all have been really scary for her. :-?

Lol to Simon looking for Charlies testicles. :lol:

Rach210

Post by Rach210 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:09 pm

It appears to be going well. Charlie is now tolerating viral and making slightly less fuss when simon approaches him despite being scared. Simon is still frantically searching for charlies testicles every time they meet :lol: