Worried about Rocky

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
pumpkinpie83

Worried about Rocky

Post by pumpkinpie83 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:07 pm

I have lost two of my boys this year, both of whom lived with Rocky. I have another pair who live together and always have and Rascal who has from the age of 8 months been on his own (long story but he is happy like this)

When we lost Remy I was determined to try and get him and Rascal back living together. I have been doing intros for almost two months now, they were fine out of the cage, Rocky just wants to lay and snuggle, Rascal is still a bit hyper, there is only a month age difference between them. Anyway this was all going fine but when they had access to a cage things got a bit tense and a couple of fights broke out.

I am just worrying about Rocky lately he seems so quiet and sad. He has lost almost 100g in weight (not such a bad thing as he was 750g but still thats a lot for one rat). He doesn't seem to want to come out and whenever I go in he is laying curled up in the corner of the cage.

Just breaks my heart to see him so sad.
To the world you are a rat, but to me you are my world.
I love to hug a hoody!
Penny - Owned by Rocky, Rascal, Wallace and Gromit.
Waiting at the bridge - Reggie, Ronnie, Rizzo & Remy.

purple_vixen

Re: Worried about Rocky

Post by purple_vixen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:17 am

Sorry to read about your losses. Rats do grieve, but I would hope to see more interaction with new cagemates than that... Are you still seeing squabbles? Do the boys sleep together and groom one another at all?

Poor Rocky. How is he, now? If he still seems subdued, I might take him to the vet for an MOT.

Vix.
'There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.' - The Smiths, 'Handsome Devil'.

Animal Pics * Pixel Juice the LoLRat * Twitter

pumpkinpie83

Re: Worried about Rocky

Post by pumpkinpie83 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:34 am

Sadly we lost Rocky two weeks ago. He was limp and lifeless in his cage, he'd been fine still eating and drinking so not sure what the cause was.
To the world you are a rat, but to me you are my world.
I love to hug a hoody!
Penny - Owned by Rocky, Rascal, Wallace and Gromit.
Waiting at the bridge - Reggie, Ronnie, Rizzo & Remy.