Urgently need advice - agressive rat

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
Rach210

Urgently need advice - agressive rat

Post by Rach210 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:42 pm

I brought home 3 boys from Werepuppy at the weekend. 2 have settled in really well but one is being very agressive, he's bitten the OH quite badly, he's attempted to bite me but thankfully only got a mouthful of my jeans, and he has been foofing and jumping and biting at the bars of the cage the bars of the cage as if to bite us.

Does anyone have any advice? He's one year old, is neutering likely to help at this age? The vet thinks it is unlikely.

He wasn't like this at Werepuppy's when we went to collect him, he was fine being handled by us. Now he's impossible to handle. I'd love for him to calm down but at the moment he's bullying his cagemates and introductions to my other rat would be impossible.
Owned by Jack and Charlie my two fatty ratties

ErnieG!

Re: Urgently need advice - agressive rat

Post by ErnieG! » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Maybe it's the stress of moving?
Do you have any other animals in the house at all?

Neutering helps at any age given they are in good health :D
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

Vicki Pickle

Post by Vicki Pickle » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:02 pm

Sorry if this is obvious, but have you asked Werepuppy for advice? Might be polite/ a good idea to do so, plus she'll know the personalities involved. Good luck.
A cage full of aging ladies: Gentle alpha Sally Cinnamon, chubster black berkie dumbo Zillah, roan alpha wannabe Bobbie and dear tilty runty Princess Wobble Buttons.

Rach210

Post by Rach210 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:07 pm

I have asked Werepuppy for advice, she says he's basically overly dominant. I'm wondering if the agression towards me and the OH is because we are new to him but currently we cann't handle him because after about 2 mins he floofs up his fur and tries to bite us. I'm going to give neutering a try because it'ss the only thing i can do. I really hope it works.

Vicki Pickle

Post by Vicki Pickle » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Fingers crossed. As ErnieG says, the age thing shouldn't affect things. I hope he chills out once he's been to the nad fairy. :luck:
A cage full of aging ladies: Gentle alpha Sally Cinnamon, chubster black berkie dumbo Zillah, roan alpha wannabe Bobbie and dear tilty runty Princess Wobble Buttons.

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:18 pm

Fingers crossed for you both. I'm sorry that he seems to be misbehaving so much. He's only bitten me once, though he has foofed at me occasionally but if i approached him slowly he would then switch to grooming my hand. I think all the big change for him has probably been too much, and his hormones seem to be getting worse. I really do think it is still his hormones that are causing this and castration should help calm him down a lot. Just keep him on his own for now, give him space to calm down. I would recommend waiting at least a week after the castration before trying introductions again, not only because risk of ripping his stitches open, but also to allow his hormone level to drop down.

Btw, did you thoroughly clean out the cage that you're keeping him in before you put him in? He might be able to smell Charlie and that could be what is setting his aggression off?
Is he foofing just in the cage or when you've got him out? He's never puffed up at me before outside the cage, only inside after he's been scrapping and all worked up...
My rats: Possum, Tasmania, Henna, & Trinity!
And lastly my kitties; Neko & Oliver.
RIP Toffee, Inky, Boota, Balthazar, Lady Serenity & Rosetta :dumbohalo:

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:15 pm

BTW, sometimes when Kamina is acting all off, i'll make clicking and clacking noises to him to mimic bruxing, this usually settles him down. I'll make this noise before approaching him in the cage and make sure he see's my hand coming towards him. Dunno if that'll help at all, he might be too wound up to listen at this stage n_n;
My rats: Possum, Tasmania, Henna, & Trinity!
And lastly my kitties; Neko & Oliver.
RIP Toffee, Inky, Boota, Balthazar, Lady Serenity & Rosetta :dumbohalo:

dibble

Post by dibble » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:36 pm

When Puppy moved back in with me, I was nervous around the rats, but gradually got
to know them, and spent time, especially when Puppy was out, of popping in to say
hello and sit near the bars.

As time passed I have begun getting a relationship with them all..
but for me it started with sitting on the floor with the bars between me and Puppy's
rats.

Gradually I am building up confidence with them all... and did like the interaction
with the boys.

The point I am making is,... the relationship can be between the bars, whilst Kamina
is getting used to you.

I sit and tell them how cute they are etc... but that is just me..

I've had to take it slowly, because I needed to.

Perhaps, the talking through the bars and for Kamina to get more used to everything new could be an option?
He maybe feels out of control and will feel better as he begins to get used to everything new?

Just posting as a complete beginner.... and trying to get more used to everything-rats. I hope it is alright to have shared...

Rach210

Post by Rach210 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks I'm pretty sure I'll have a lovely squish of a boy when castration has taken effect, he was certainly happy to be cuddled at Werepupy's when we picked him up. Unfortunately I've had to separate him from viral and simon cos he was beating them up a bit, I did wonder if that was because of being able to smell charlie in the same room, Simon, Viral and Charlie are all in the same cage and getting on fine, hopefully kamina will be able to join them soon. He is currently ok for a few minutes when out of the cage then foofing up and looking stroppy. I'm talking to him lots though and i'll try and handle him as much as he'll let me.