Will she be ok on her own??

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
fiverats

Will she be ok on her own??

Post by fiverats » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:44 am

Do you think Autumn will be ok on her own for the rest of her days, or should we definitely look into getting a couple more rats to keep her company? She's 18 months old and her cage mate Ember is very ill and we don't think she has very long to go. :(

After keeping rats constantly for almost seven years, we have decided to have a break from rats after our last ones go. So, if we did get more rats, we would probably just get a pair and then re-home the pair again when Autumn passes.

Do you think that would be unfair to the two rats, as obviously they would have already been re-homed once. :(
Rory,Poppy,Jack-Bear,Badger,Ember,Autumn

:rainbow: Biggy,Tempest,Electra,Rupert,Delphina,Blues,Jazz,Lola,Ruby,Rosie,Shadow,Star,Blue,Willow,Titch,Pagan,Sylva,Lilly,
Alorah,Lucy,Raven, Dysis,Brenna,Alanah,Bracken,Bramble,Katy,Kelowna,Willow, :rainbow:

aimlessdesire

Re: Will she be ok on her own??

Post by aimlessdesire » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:52 am

I'd be tempted to try and home another girl of a similar age, either from a rescue or some breeders will home out older does. i've homed older rats to keep others company in similar situations with the view that if they are then left on their own they can come back to me, maybe you could try your local breeders / rescues and see if anyone has a suitable doe.
Caledonian Rattery breeding for Russian Blue Point Siamese, Black Eyed Siamese, Black and Russian Blue.

squeakrat

Post by squeakrat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:11 pm

You could either try and find a lone girl somewhere to pair with her and then rehome her after Autumn passes, or take on a pair, who could then be rehomed together when the time comes.

If she's only 18 months, she could have quite a long time left, so I don't think it would be fair to her to keep her by herself.
Jenny x
Vandal :rainbow: Bandit :rainbow: Squeak :rainbow:

fiverats

Post by fiverats » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks for the replies.

Ember was found dead in her igloo this morning. :( So, now it's quite urgent to get some more friends for Autumn, so I have just contacted both breeders, who we got them from originally.
Rory,Poppy,Jack-Bear,Badger,Ember,Autumn

:rainbow: Biggy,Tempest,Electra,Rupert,Delphina,Blues,Jazz,Lola,Ruby,Rosie,Shadow,Star,Blue,Willow,Titch,Pagan,Sylva,Lilly,
Alorah,Lucy,Raven, Dysis,Brenna,Alanah,Bracken,Bramble,Katy,Kelowna,Willow, :rainbow:

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:26 am

Sorry to hear about Ember. There's some 18 month old ladies in Stroud http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/v ... m.php?f=41
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!