Rat Barbering cagemate near eye

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
pollywigston

Rat Barbering cagemate near eye

Post by pollywigston » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:00 am

Hi there,

I have 2 female fancy rats (they're sisters). They live in a big cage with lots of toys, hideaways and chews. We let them out 5 times and week and we always play games with them. I would describe them as quite hyperactive, particularly the one we're having problems with; Nibbles

Nibbles, has been barbering her cagemate; Blondie. Nibble's barbering behaviour is becoming increasingly aggressive. She bites Blondie and actually cuts her. This area is just under her eye and never allowed to heal as Nibbles is constantly barbering this area.

I am concerned that she may hurt Blondie significantly one day and feel really helpless in this situation. I am very concerned that one day she may damage Blondie's eye.

Any advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

acapae_wolf

Re: Rat Barbering cagemate near eye

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:14 pm

Have you actually seen the barbering, or are you more seeing hairloss /and scabs near the eye?
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

pollywigston

Re: Rat Barbering cagemate near eye

Post by pollywigston » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I've seen it a few times. Whenever there's a squabble/play fight (or anytime really) Nibbles goes straight for that area. The area she's barbering has increased in size recently, although luckily the cuts aren't as bad (but she still is cutting her)- can't be nice for poor Blondie, although otherwise she seems ok.

I'm not sure what to do, is it OK for Blondie to go through this or would it be better for them to be separated?

Thank you