Bonding advice needed

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
Rach210

Bonding advice needed

Post by Rach210 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:19 pm

One of my new boys is very stressy and foofs up and sidles at my hand and tries to bite me regularly. He's just been neutered but I think its a combination of nervousness as well as hormones. Any advice for gaining his trust and friendship? He's a gorgeous boy and was fine with us at his old home so I think I just need to win him over.
Owned by Jack and Charlie my two fatty ratties

purple_vixen

Re: Bonding advice needed

Post by purple_vixen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:44 am

Time, patience and lots of love :) Just take everything very slowly with cuddles little and often, and lots of nice food offered by hand :) Be confident when you pick him up, showing him your hands first and speaking to him to flag up what you're doing, get him used to the idea that foofing, sidling and general stropping won't make you go away or quake in fear...

Hopefully he'll settle quite quickly as his hormones dissipate :)

Give him a fuss from me.

Vix.
'There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.' - The Smiths, 'Handsome Devil'.

Animal Pics * Pixel Juice the LoLRat * Twitter

Rach210

Re: Bonding advice needed

Post by Rach210 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:21 pm

He's like a changed rat a week after neutering, No foofing, allows me to pick him up, inquisitive and even had a little shoulder ride round the house yesterday. And this is a rat I couldn't even touch a week ago :) I've never had to deal with an aggressive rat before so the change seems amazing
Owned by Jack and Charlie my two fatty ratties