Post neuter intro - opinions (is it too soon?)

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
rattypetrolhead

Post neuter intro - opinions (is it too soon?)

Post by rattypetrolhead » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:53 am

Spike was neutered on 11 July and I was planning to introduce him to the rest of the group tomorrow as I've got a 3 day weekend... that would mean it was 2 weeks and 4 days since his neuter. There are a few schools of thought about how soon it is safe to intro post neuter - 2 weeks or 3... thoughts on the back of a postcard please?!

Spike wasn't neutered for behavioural reasons, he just needed a home :hearts:

Ta muchly x
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

louisealex

Re: Post neuter intro - opinions (is it too soon?)

Post by louisealex » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:28 pm

I've just had Gary neutered,he'll be going in with his sisters 2 weeks to the day after his op.
I;ve donethis with several other boys and they have been fine. x

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:08 pm

That's fine - I always try and time intros for a bit of time when I'm around too :)

10 days is average for infertility, so people tend to push it up to ~2 weeks just in case/ for extra security.
3 weeks is more with rats neutered for behavioural reasons and new groups (as I understand it). Because that's about the length of time it takes for testosterone levels to properly drop off and changes become obvious. Although given that's hormone based, it's more down to the individual, and there's no clear-cut definitive answer.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

rattypetrolhead

Post by rattypetrolhead » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:46 am

He's in and it's relatively quiet in there (the bottom half of a brio as my other cages are in use with unexpected rescues), although Spike is refusing to snuggle up to anyone just yet :-? He is grooming some of the girls, albeit quite forcefully, and Alfie has been a very gentle enforcer when needed, which hasn't been very often :luck: Pickle has been trying to wind him up, but Spike has been quite controlled and hasn't been rising to it every time she tries :lol:
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

louisealex

Post by louisealex » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Good luck.
Mine's scheduled for the weekend. x

rattypetrolhead

Post by rattypetrolhead » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:30 pm

Checked on them all at lunch - Pickle is still trying to wind Spike up :roll:

Gave them all some frozen pineapple as it's quite warm - they just settled to eat it, no scrapping. I'm clinging to that as a good sign!

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:38 pm

Not fighting over food is good :D Pickle sounds like she'd be at home with my lot LOL
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

rattypetrolhead

Post by rattypetrolhead » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Pickle by name, pickle by nature :lol: . Twinny (RIP :( ) would be very proud - Pickle looks almost identical and is as completely incorrigible (spelling?!) as the Twinster :hearts:

rattypetrolhead

Post by rattypetrolhead » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:33 am

Moved them into the Freddy last night as the bottom half of the Brio was getting a bit :sickrat: , plus it's easier to put hammocks in the freddy, should we get to that stage :lol: It's actually going quite well, Spike seems to be more relaxed around his 13 new friends, so I'll risk a hammock this evening and see what happens...