Not For the faint hearted!!

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
nikdakoolchick

Not For the faint hearted!!

Post by nikdakoolchick » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:29 pm

oky This is totally gross ( I wasent sure wether to post or not) but...I was cleaning my rats room- two bucks ( they have there own bedroom which I Free range them in, most of the time supervised but sometimes I leave them to run about and play.Anyway I noticed something small and furry in the corner of the room and on closer inspection I was horrified to discover a dead mouse! But there is worse..Im assuming they ate part of the mouse as its leg looked chewed off and bone sticking out which looked chewed too ugh!
The thing thats got me wondering is I was planning on eventually introducing a few more babas to my boys but Im now worried due to whats happened....
any thoughts or advice ???

indigoj

Re: Not For the faint hearted!!

Post by indigoj » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:41 am

The mouse probably died naturally and they may just have been trying to tidy up the remains as animals do. Or some other mice could have done the chewing, or even wild rats you never know.

There should be no problems introducing more rats to your boys as long as you do it slowly and carefully- have a look for the many threads on intros some are easy some are a bit more testing but it is very possible :)
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture

nikki123

Post by nikki123 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:23 am

Rats will kill mice I'm afraid, they don't see it as there in the same family, They are predators so anything smaller than them they will eat :sickrat:

They wouldn't eat there owned species so getting new babies won't be a problem :)
Nikki x
Girls Poppy Peggy Kitty Mouse Ceres Hattie Savannah Elena Eve Daisy Rosie Paige Saffy Charlotte Delia Isis Blossom Petal Rio Riley

Boys Zippy Lucas Gobo Boots Harley Jack Ash Baldrick Flynn Maximus

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:30 am

If it was your ratty boys - and it might not have been - that is natural behaviour for rats and mice. It doesn't mean that they would do the same with baby rats. In fact, of all my rats, it is two of the (neutered) boys who are best with the babies.

KellyTheCrazyRatLady

Post by KellyTheCrazyRatLady » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:01 pm

rats eat mice. its nature. just like a ferret might eat a rat. i have mice and rats and wouldnt ever let them near each other for the safety of the mice. how did it get in there tho
Owned by Aeris Akkarin Araxis Braxton Briec Brisingr Codeh Deloi Eihbear Eldunari Gwenvael Kirin Kyddin Laisren Leighton Lorlen Martris Micah Osen Phury Qysan Reuben Rhage Riley Rixon Rydan Serin Toffee Torin Tyailan and Wraythe

yuuki_forever

Post by yuuki_forever » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:48 pm

Rats see mice as competition and, unfortunately, dinner. You shouldn't worry about introducing new babies, as long as you take time, do watch out though as some wild rodents carry nasties which could pass on to your rats. Invest in humane traps for the rest of the house, mice don't usually go anywhere near a rat's territory but best to be safe.
Rukia, Misaki and Mai

Forever in my heart; Rose, Buffy, Willow, Lucius, Malachi, Morrigan, Merrick, Yuuki and Shirou

nikdakoolchick

Post by nikdakoolchick » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:31 pm

I live in a flat which is an old victorian building and im right next to a grave yard I noticed they have recently been cutting the grass so maybe thats why the mouse appeared. I'll have to get a few traps set around the rest of the house the boys dont go was looking at the traps that dont kill but catch...they are quite expensive! ( I cant kill a wee animal no matter it its wild )

thanks for replys.

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:50 am

Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry: