What have I done wrong??? :(

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
BearHugger

What have I done wrong??? :(

Post by BearHugger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:13 am

My gorgeous 2 boys are 6 months now. I have had them since they were babies. They are fed a healthy balanced diet, fresh water every day, cleaned out once a week religiously and handled every day. I have even bought them an explorer - just for the 2 of them!
In the evening i have them out on the sofa. For the first 5-10 minutes they are all over me but after this they wander off to the opposite end don't move again. Obviously if i have treats they show more interest but they don't play games or really stay still to be stroked or cuddled.
About 6 weeks ago they started fighting, nothing serious and no blood has been drawn, it seems worse than it is beacuse Bear squeels blue murder but Jingles never makes a peep, (nor does he scent mark - ever, unlike Bear who leaves a constant trail). I know this isn't unusual so i'm not overly worried.

On Sunday night I went to get them out as usual and Bear flipped! I went to pick him up and he squeeled worse than ever, squirmed out of my hand and hid in his igloo. I offered him treats to come out again and all of his movements were in slow motion, he took the treat but sooooo slowley and if I moved it away from the igloo to coax him out he retreated. I left him there for an hour and tried again but still he wouldn't come out.
He has never done this before and i accepted this could just be a bad day but he did it again last night and scratced me really badly. He isn't trying to bite and never has done which i know is a blessing but i am so heartbroken, i feel that we are loosing any bond we may have had! I was in floods last night and i can't bear to look at him hiding in his house looking so scared! He still seems skittish this morning aswell.

Please someone! Any help or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!
Hopelessly devoted to Bear and Mr Jingles

Kim N

Re: What have I done wrong??? :(

Post by Kim N » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:24 am

Is it possible he's been hurt or isn't feeling well? Mine aren't to that age yet but I think that's about the time people say they are in their teenage phase? I wonder if that plays a part? I did also find that when I just had my first two they came out of their shell and were more confident and happy after we added the other 3, not sure if that's something that would help?

I'm sure others will be more helpful! :wink:

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:14 am

I'd check him for any health issues, and also check for anything that could be scaring him (new ultrasonic noises, or new smells are the most likely).

But it could be that you have hormones - they don't always go down the aggressive route, it can also manifest as nerves or fear.

For now, if he's shown to be healthy, I'd do all the usual trust training things (there is a guide knocking about on here somewhere) and give it a bit of time. But don't beat yourself up - it's vanishingly unlikely to be the result of anything you've done.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

BearHugger

Post by BearHugger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:26 am

Thank you very much for the advice - I know I'm probably worrying too much but i don't want this to become a regular thing.

He seems healthy apart from these episodes and i cannot think of any changes to the house or their surroundings, noise, smells etc that could have triggered it. :-?

BearHugger

Post by BearHugger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:12 pm

Would it help to think about getting them some friends? Like I say i have a whole explorer and just the 2 at the moment.

Mulberry (Jane)

Post by Mulberry (Jane) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:32 pm

If you have ruled out that Bear is unwell & in pain (which isn't always easy to tell), then having more rats may be a good idea. It may be better to get kittens as introductions will be easier and young rats will accept one of yours as alpha. My first 2 unrelated pair of bucks ended up so unhappy together that I separated them & personally I'd avoid keeping just 2 bucks together in future unless they were brothers.
Mulberry rats are: Tuck, Islay, Mull & Treshnish
Guinevere, Excaliber, Nymwai, Muddy, Lightnin' , BB, Monty , Brownie, Koko, Etta, Jensen, Fernando, Felipe, Vanilla, Tiffin & Matilda.

Remembered with love: Little Jon and my other sweethearts x

Jird

Post by Jird » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:35 pm

I expect you'd already considered this, but just in case, you haven't been stroking a neighbour's cat have you? My boys behave in exactly the same way if I have even the faintest whiff of cat on my hands or clothes.
Emily and the boys - Jamie, Bailey, Finn and Tumnus
Love you Bond, Liam, George, Blaze. See you at the bridge little guys.

BearHugger

Post by BearHugger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:53 pm

Yes they are brothers ands no i haven't been near a cat but thank you for the tip as my mum has one and i'll keep an eye out in future.

He is still very wary this evening but let me pick him up by cupping him in 2 hands. He's roaming the sofa but seems more interested in me than normal....

I think i will speak to the OH about getting a couple more. Is it always best to get babies? I got these 2 from a rescue and i know there are a couple of older boys looking for a home at the moment.

Thanks again everyone :)

Flox

Post by Flox » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:24 pm

This isn't very 'responsible' advice, but since others suggested it and you're considering it, I'll offer it anyway :D My first pair were about 6 months when I got two breeder babies to live with them. Before that, they had very little energy or interest in much at all - though I tried all I could think of, often I'd get them out and they'd just wander as far from me as they could get and settle down to wait til hometime again. The babies brought them such a new lease of life, it was unreal. They became more active ("is there food I need to get before they get it?", more interested in things "Is there something I need to investigate before they find it?", more adventurous with eating (see point 1!) - and although they've never really been 'people' rats, they did get a lot more tolerant and just generally seemed more contented.

(Of course 6 months later one of the babies turned into a demon and I had to split them into two groups again, but it was nice while it lasted!) :D

Polka

Post by Polka » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:29 am

Hey I am new at this but my rats did the same thing :)

I have two girls :) both are 6 months old

Jessie is the dominant female and Dobbie is the shy one ;)
Jessie used to over play with Dobbie who used to scream so badly, and it used to worry me
Whenever I came up to the cage jessie would come but Dobbie would always cower

But now after a few holds Dobbie is much more confident than Jessie when it come to treats and hugs :)

HOpe this was in someway helpful
Jessie
Dobby ...... Grow up well :)

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:26 pm

It could well be hormonal - and please don't blame yourself. :hearts:

He could be being upset by being bullied making him nervous with you. The bottom ranking girly of my group - Lila - (also the runt in a litter of 16) is a squeaky girl. She's ok and loves being around us but just squeaky and when she's a bit hormonal (in season!) she's worse and can be very jumpy - she's squeaky with her sisters not just us lol. But being the bottom girl has definitely made her squeakier than her sisters!

Perhaps move them into half the Explorer and keep a close eye on their in-cage behaviour. I just wonder if having less space for a while might make Bear less jumpy. It could be that you end up neutering Jingles if things don't calm down. This happened to me when I had a trio of boys once - Albert, Arthur and Henry. Arthur starting beating up his cage-mates and making them squeak and pretty soon Albert and Henry were jumpy and unhappy. I had Arthur neutered and everything did calm down. He outlived his cage-mates and ended his days with two young girlies tending to his every whim, lol. :wink:

Hope you get things sorted anyway. xx
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

BearHugger

Post by BearHugger » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:07 am

Thank you again everyone for you kind words and advice.

Me and Bear had some quality one on one time on Saturday and i got my first boggle! Wohoo! :D

Nichmerry

Post by Nichmerry » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:23 pm

This is such a relief! My girls are getting to this stage too - the past couple of days they've been a bit wary of me and not very interested in anything at all. I was just putting it down to the fact is has been quite hot lately (my boys used to flake out if it was too warm) Thankfully I've been thinking of getting them some cage mates (they are in a Jenny, just the two of them) and my breeder has some girls ready now :)

I'm glad that the general advice has been to get more rats, since this was the road I was heading down anyway! Also glad it's not me :D

Good luck with your boys, let us all know if you get any new additions! :luck:
Nichola and her girls: Scout and Gwen

Still missing her boys: Ally and Logan

BearHugger

Post by BearHugger » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:09 pm

Took both boys back to the lovely Jackie @ ROHR who checked them over declared them healthy and happy and suggested some "man-handling" :)

After only a few days of squishy cuddles and belly kisses i am pleased to say me and Bear are getting on better than ever! :love:

Thankyou Jackie!! xxx

secretpennell

Post by secretpennell » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:07 am

Good news! I'm glad you're all happier. :D
Rat Out of Hell Rescue