I Think I Might've Found The Ultimate Intro Method.....

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
a_wee_one
Location: From Scunthorpe, now living in Rawcliffe, near Goole

I Think I Might've Found The Ultimate Intro Method.....

Post by a_wee_one » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:39 pm

So today i mushed 2 avocados to split between 19 rats. This should be enough, well, turned out to be a little too much, there are some squidgy poo's flying about and i'm in the middle of introing my big girls to rustys lot.

Someone had poo on their back when the OH brought them through for the bath tub stage - then someone else did a squidgy one and so i decided to bath them all while doing the intro.

They were in the tub 10 minutes while i bathed them and laughed at chubbo for trying to jump up (she's too portly) then i scooped them up and dumped them in the clean jenny. They've been in there 20 minutes now to half an hour and chubbo who is a tyranasaur when it comes to other rats, as done nothing. Not a squeak, not a scuffle......nothing. They're all just eating their dry mix now. :o

They will be in the hall way tonight so i can plsit any fights, but i think when i put my problem 2 in, this will be the method again. Turns out bathtime was a brilliant idea! :lol:
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

RattyRenton

Re: I Think I Might've Found The Ultimate Intro Method.....

Post by RattyRenton » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:54 pm

I posted about this method a long time ago and I got told off by other members saying bathing them at the same time only adds to the stress of intros, because my boys hate getting bathed. I knew it worked and no-one believed me! *humph*. Well done on successful, and soggy, intros!
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:59 pm

Yeah they weren't impressed with it, but i don't mind if it makes intros run smoothly! They can put their pitchforks back in the shed while i have a cage of happy ratties! (they're STILL not rolling about or squeaking!)

The only reason i'm so shocked is Chubbo has been terrible with every intro we've done. She's a cowbag when it comes to other rats and rules her group in a no nonsense sumo manner. I have 2 problem girls who were kicking off when i tried to intro them to the babies group before. I'm going straight for bathtime method with them next weekend - i'd bath them and add them tonight but i don't want to upset the mojo!
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

pinkfearie

Post by pinkfearie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:31 pm

Knowing Chubbo, this has been successful :D W00t.
Once you add the petshop perils, its gonna be one super group.

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:42 pm

i've used the bath method before and it always made the initial intro go very smooth indeed :D but later when they all calmed down from the bath....they eventually notice the strangers in the camp.....and the squabbling starts.....but if they get through the next 24 hours without blood shed......though your not totally out of the woods i'd say chances are good

good luck :luck:
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:26 pm

They'll be sleeping int he halway in the jenny and we will have the bedroom door open. This means any scuffles and i can shoot out of bed and break it up. Chubbo is currently being used as a pillow anyway. :lol: (well she is rather large and comfortable!)

flash-gordonette

Post by flash-gordonette » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:43 pm

I have to say, I was re-introing mine for the FOURTH time today (first attempt resulted in Jeremy being neutered, 2nd resulted in bear being neutered, got them together and Bear, the alpha, died and Willy went off his rocker and had to be neutered...) and I decided to bathe them all (something I normally only do when ones had a dodgey tummy and rolled in it!) and they all seemed to have settled down much more easily than usual, and 4/5 seem to love being towel dried afterwards :hearts: I thought that if the cage needed to be "descented" that it might also help if my boys smelt neutral...
Michelle- aka Mommy to: Ivory Coast :dumbo: Jeremy Ruffles :smileyrat: Rodney Hood :dumbo: Willy Whiskers and :dumbo: Barry Role :smileyrat:

:hearts: Mr Gregory Bread :dumbohalo: Billy Bear :dumbohalo: :hearts:

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:06 am

Well last night there was only one scuffle and absolutely no fighting. NO squeaking nothing. I got up this morning to find them all huddled and snuggled - which frankly, what more do you want? I'm very happy with how this has turned out and i only did it cause of the squishy poo. It would seem when you ahve problem rats who won't behave, this is future. Best nights sleep i've had dure in an intro, and i'd even set my lego man lantern up ready so i can see who would be fighting. I love that i didn't need it.

THis will be the method i will use when we attempt Bo Diddly and Bo Derek being added in. :love: :hearts: :love: