Jumpy rat, dominance issues or something else?

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
CrazyBadger

Jumpy rat, dominance issues or something else?

Post by CrazyBadger » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:55 pm

I've never really been sure of who is who in the group in terms of dominance. Now I have 6 I have even less idea! Whisper has always been very sensitive whenever you touch his rump area, or when other rats generally go near him, and this seems more pronounced now he is in a larger group. Just having him out and about he kind of twitchily frog hops, as if something has made him jump. lol. He spends most of his time in the circus house at the top of the cage, on his own, occassionally with one of the girls for company but rarely. And he gets all moody if others try to join him, silly boy. We are convinced he is just the grumpy old man :lol: and even though he will snuggle with others, and there are never proper fights he just seems to spend more time lone wolf lately. Anyone else have these outsider rats?
Is this kind of behaviour because he is the bottom rat? He is very touchy about dominance, and doesn't like to be held much, simply because again, he seems not to want to be dominated, as opposed to actual fear of handling or nervousness around people. Thoughts?
^^^ Owned by Spyro :smileyrat: Skittle :smileyrat: Badger :dumbo: Shadow :dumbo: Whisper :smileyrat: and Smudge :smileyrat: ^^^^