Bad introductions for new rat.

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
dom100281

Bad introductions for new rat.

Post by dom100281 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:02 pm

We have recently introduced our new male Bertie into a group of 5 others (1 male and 4 females).

Both Bertie and the existing male, Jack, have been neutered.

The problem seems to be that Bertie is being picked on by most of the others and, because of this, seems to be getting more and more nervous around the them. We have one girl in particular who seems to stalk both the males and spends a lot of time fighting with them. She goes out of her way to stalk both of them and bight them, Bertie more than Jack but she's not fussy!

Poor little Bertie's tail has been mauled and he has cuts on his paws where they have been getting nipped at.

Since being put in the cage Bertie has been looking more and more miserable and I don't wanna put him on his own, but I'm wondering whether all this stress is good for him.

I've never really had any bad experiences introducing other rats before, but it's been over two weeks and things don't seem to be getting any better.

Any suggestions?

purple_vixen

Re: Bad introductions for new rat.

Post by purple_vixen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:25 pm

Sorry for your worries :(

Is there a pattern as to how and when your little madam bites the boys? Persistent tail biting and drawing blood is something that I have separated boys from a group for before - and then had successful re-intros for after neutering. 

In this case, I might be tempted to move the boys out to another cage for now and start introductions again slowly, on neutral ground.

Vix.
'There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.' - The Smiths, 'Handsome Devil'.

Animal Pics * Pixel Juice the LoLRat * Twitter