What percentage of bucks need castrating?

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
annc

What percentage of bucks need castrating?

Post by annc » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:59 am

What percentage of your bucks need castrating for aggression?

At what ages?
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

fuschia

Re: What percentage of bucks need castrating?

Post by fuschia » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 am

Out of the 13 boys I've had in the last few years I've had 3 of them castrated. Ages ranged from approx 5 months - 18 months.

Before that I had much smaller numbers and never had to get any castrated apart from one I took on due to his aggression to other rats and people - but he died during surgery :( .
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser
:rainbow: All those gone before, forever remembered :hearts:

Mulberry (Jane)

Post by Mulberry (Jane) » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:08 am

Out of 13 bucks I've had, one (Tuck) has been castrated. At the time I didn't have any buck kittens to introduce him to. Tuck is perfectly happy living with ladies, and his quality of life post castration has seemed better than before, but in hindsight I would have tried him with young rats before castration. His original companion whom he terrified and bullied soon turned out to be terminally ill, so this may have been the reason for his behaviour. I also don't think I'd ever keep just 2 bucks together(except in old age), groups of 3 or 4 seem happier. However all my bucks apart from Tuck are related to each other so that may be a factor too. Tuck was about 15 months (I think) when he was castrated.
Mulberry rats are: Tuck, Islay, Mull & Treshnish
Guinevere, Excaliber, Nymwai, Muddy, Lightnin' , BB, Monty , Brownie, Koko, Etta, Jensen, Fernando, Felipe, Vanilla, Tiffin & Matilda.

Remembered with love: Little Jon and my other sweethearts x

flash-gordonette

Post by flash-gordonette » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:45 pm

3/7

One was roughly 6 months,
The other 2 were rescued at about 1year old, and I had them 2-3 months before they visited the nad fairy as they proved impossible to introduce to my previous lot!
Michelle- aka Mommy to: Ivory Coast :dumbo: Jeremy Ruffles :smileyrat: Rodney Hood :dumbo: Willy Whiskers and :dumbo: Barry Role :smileyrat:

:hearts: Mr Gregory Bread :dumbohalo: Billy Bear :dumbohalo: :hearts:

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:16 pm

Erm, all of mine (actually 2 or 3 were borderline elective, but the vast majority weren't) - but then if you go around deliberately adopting grumpy adult lone males who are known to need neutering, it does tend to skew the stats a bit :wink: . Most were done in the 6 months to 1 year window, with a couple between 12 and 18 months, and a couple at the 4/5 month mark.

I think it depends a lot on line (if talking about breeder rats) and also age and early treatment if talking about rescues - grumpy adults who have been left alone tend to be more obvious candidates than rats who are used to company, although there is no nice clear cut line.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat: