Curled up tail

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
Alijane

Curled up tail

Post by Alijane » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:21 am

One of my baby/young rats (Munchkin, from Secretpennell) is absolutely obsessed with running on the wheel (they have got a big Silent Spinner). She loves it. She's a very active little rat and, when she is out, belts around - up and down the stairs is her favourite. When she runs on the wheel, she kind of arches her tail across her back. Now she's taken to doing that when she runs around other than on her wheel. She doesn't do it when she's walking or just pottering, but always when she is running. Her tail doesn't seem to be hurting her and, when I stroke it, she puts it down like a normal rat tail.

Is this a worrying thing and, if so, what should I do about it? I could take the wheel out, but she loves it - and so do the others in the cage.

Helzie

Re: Curled up tail

Post by Helzie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:22 am

Not worrying at all - it's very common in rats who love wheelrunning (hence I've never seen it in any of mine! :-? ) It just means the muscles in her tail that hold it up out of the way are a bit overdeveloped, and that she's got used to holding it out of the way when she runs.

Let her enjoy her wheel!
Besotted owner of Lundy, Malin, Hebridy and Faeroe :love: Easterly backing southeasterly 2 to 4, squally showers, moderate, good.
Sailing By: Cromarty. I miss you, little man. Fitzroy. O Captain, my Captain.
Member of the Savic Royal Family

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:21 am

What Helzie said :) I used to be of the popular belief that only rats who didn't have big enough wheels developed curly tails, but my 250g tiny doe who uses the wobust WW does sometimes too lol. I find that some rats are more prone than others, but just because she has a curly tail now, doesn't mean she always will do. Which fits in with the use of muscles thing re. how much the wheel is being used at any point in time.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

yuuki_forever

Post by yuuki_forever » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:26 am

My Rukia holds her tail up (like a meerkat), but it's more of a balance thing as she's missing half her tail. She never even saw a wheel until a month ago and is now running like a pro, and I've never seen such a muscular tail on a rat. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as they're getting exercise and doing other things too it shouldn't cause any problems.
Rukia, Misaki and Mai

Forever in my heart; Rose, Buffy, Willow, Lucius, Malachi, Morrigan, Merrick, Yuuki and Shirou

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:28 am

Yay, muscley tail! Although that's more likely to be due to her having an active life where she uses the tail for balance than running in a wheel - which in itself won't increase tail muscle tone.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

yuuki_forever

Post by yuuki_forever » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:46 am

Yeah, she's always used the tail as a fifth leg when she's standing upright, feels very odd on my arm. She's building up her shoulders on the wheel, though, ever since the Eximius girl showed her how to use it.
Rukia, Misaki and Mai

Forever in my heart; Rose, Buffy, Willow, Lucius, Malachi, Morrigan, Merrick, Yuuki and Shirou

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:00 am

Oh thank you so much, guys. I must say that she does look funny when she whizzes along with her tail curled over her back. Very like a meerkat! :lol: