mixi bit me ):

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
drear

mixi bit me ):

Post by drear » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:05 am

i have 2 rats shrodinger and mixi, both female.

shrodinger is playful and lets me hold her an she activly comes to the door to get played with and stroked etc.
but mixi has never let me pick her up, and hides whenever i open the cage. the times ive tried leaving the door open on the cage and waiting for her to come out, she ignores me and tries running off into my room.

this morning they were both in their hammock and there was a squeek, so i opened the cage and was stroking shrodinger, i went to stroke mixi and she lundged at my hand and bit me really hard. it didnt break the skin but it hurt alot, and it scared shrodinger because i yelled , as i wasnt expecting it.

they have both nibbled me before and thats fine, but this was like she really didnt like me ):
am i doing somthing wrong? why wont she let me hold her and why did she bite me?

Rootigger

Re: mixi bit me ):

Post by Rootigger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:36 pm

She probably felt a bit threatened by your hand being in her territory, and perhaps was a bit on edge anyway if there had just been a bit of a scuffle. When I first got my rescue girlies they were practically wild, totally un-catchable and very nippy (and they did break the skin!) It took a lot of time and patience to gain their trust but they turned into the loveliest, friendliest rats. Every rat has its own personality and some are never particularly cuddly, especially if they're young and pingy. But if you give her some more time, I'm sure she'll gain confidence. Try to avoid hands inside the cage, as she'll find this threatening and scary. When you open the door, have something tasty to offer. Let her come to the doorway and offer her a treat by hand and she'll soon start associating the sound of the door opening with something good. Let her see and sniff your hand - just keep it still as sudden movements will scare her. Talk to them lots too, so they get used to the sound of your voice. During free range, try to restrict them to a smaller area so she can't run off and hide and again let her come to you. She will probably sneak up for a quick sniff and dart away again, gradually getting more used to you and your smell, eventually climbing onto your hand or lap. Try not to anticipate a bite - she'll sense fear/tension and it will stress them out. I'm sure she'll come around with time and don't take the bite to heart - it was just a normal ratty reaction. You'll do fine! Good luck :)
:hearts: Owned by Daisy, Sweetpea, Teasel and Willow :girly:
Never forgetting Lily and Clover :rainbow:

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:25 pm

Sounds like you probably frightened her as you know if a rat really bites, she probably realised what she was doing as she didnt break the skin :lol:

Mixi probably just needs more work on getting over her nerves, but then some rats just dont like being held but are happier to crawl over you!
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:56 am

Retrolemons is right. If a rat bites because she wants to hurt you, you really, really know about it. It is a rare thing, though and what your rat did wasn't that at all. One of my pink eyed white girls will nip like your rat did if I put my hand in and she doesn't realise - it's because her eyesight is very poor and she doesn't see my hand coming. If I chirrup to let her know I am there, she is fine.

drear

Post by drear » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:01 pm

thanks for the replies guys, she let me pet her earlier, but is still hiding if i go anywhere near the cage.
her sister shrodinger comes out as soon as i open the door now, she will jump onto the door and clamber on me :D

TheJewelKitten

Post by TheJewelKitten » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:03 am

Gary once bit me. Ouch!
Spongebob :oldbuck: Patrick :oldbuck: Gary :oldbuck:
RIP -