Intros - progression into larger cage?

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
MrsSetters

Intros - progression into larger cage?

Post by MrsSetters » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi there!

I picked up three babies yesterday and introed them to a lone rescue doe. Intros went startlingly well, they snuggled up together to sleep almost immediately and we are now into the next day and they have been happy together in one Furet Plus - started off with it stripped down and have been gradually reintroducing cage furniture and toys. As I type the 4 of them are curled up snoozing in a Snoozecube!

My question - we have a second Furet Plus and the plan is to hack the two together to make a Furet Plus Tower type setup. How long do you think we should leave them in the one Plus before making the cage larger? I don't want to rush things but equally I am keen for them to have maximum space to ping about and play, and we can fit much more enrichment into a bigger cage, I have plans for a sandbox and lots of cargo nets...

Thoughts appreciated!
Lola :girly: Paris :baby: Juno :dumbobaby: Cressida :dumbobaby:
Emmy and Ruby, playing forever at the Bridge, run free my gorgeous girls.
Dharma and Morgan, cats extraordinaire.

MistressSadako

Re: Intros - progression into larger cage?

Post by MistressSadako » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:55 pm

If they're fine, I wouldn't hang about really. I've done intros where i've literally came home and plonked a new rat in the cage and no one's batted an eyelid :lol: One of my very first intros was 3 baby does to a neutered buck and they took to him like a duck to water, absolutely loved him, let them meet on the bed for about 15 minutes and that was that!
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:06 pm

Besides which, if things start to get a bit too lively etc you can always go back a step and either reduce furnishings or cage size again until they form a tighter bond.
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:14 pm

Yep, I'd go straight to the big cage too :) If it were me I'd probably stick to a single bed for a couple of days once you've moved them given the numbers of rats involved. But otherwise think positively and go for it - as said you can always change things if there are issues.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Yes - with one of the intros I did, they were on the sofa for about ten minutes and then straight into the SRS and not a squeak out of them. Another intro was a bit more hairy. They started off in the Freddy and then I put them into the top half of the SRS and there was a bit of a ruck, so back into the Freddy they went. I tried again after a week and there was another ruck, so back into the Freddy they all went. Then I swear they twigged that, if there was trouble, they would get "banged up" again and everything calmed down. There was occasional squeaking, but the minute I went over, it stopped .... "Oh no, not the Freddy again ... we're quiet ... we're quiet". :lol:

Nichmerry

Post by Nichmerry » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:00 pm

My girls have all gone into the Jenny cage this afternoon - there have been a few scuffles and squeaks, but nothing major (as yet!). However, my two older girls seem to have taken over the igloo (the only covered bed in the cage) and won't let the others in. Should I remove it and let them all sleep in the hammock? I don't want all the bonding to be undone!

Thanks.
Nichola and her girls: Scout and Gwen

Still missing her boys: Ally and Logan

annc

Post by annc » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:43 pm

I would take the igloo out for a day or two.
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

Nichmerry

Post by Nichmerry » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:50 pm

All is well - came down this morning to find everyone crammed in there together :)
Nichola and her girls: Scout and Gwen

Still missing her boys: Ally and Logan