At my wits end

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
majeekarevel

At my wits end

Post by majeekarevel » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:05 am

I don't know what to do about Maisy. She is continually chewing through wires. I've tried time out in the hamster cage for a few hours. That worked for a short time but it could also have been because she wasn't feeling up to it after the op. I got some plastic wrap stuff that I wrapped round the smaller wires as she chewed through the last telephone cable and nearly chewed through the laptop cable. Today I found that she chewed through my dad's usb mouse> I've had to splice the wires together to get it working. I wrapped it in the same plastic and had a small piece left so decided to wrap the bottom of the phone wire that I hadn't wrapped when I wrapped it originally. I unplugged it and realised that she had chewed through the plastic and the coating covering the wire including 3 of the internal wires and at a different point she had chewed through the plastic the wire covering and the remaining wire that she didn't chew through at the other point. So I had to splice that together to get it working again. Most of my cables have more black tape on them than anything else. Then tonight I found she had chewed the telephone wire again :angryrat: I've just cut up a 2 litre plastic bottle and wrapped bits of it round the telephone wire in the hope that she won't chew through the bottle plastic. Though there is still parts of the cable exposed that I can't cover with the bottle plastic so I just hope that the are going to be safe.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to stop her chewing my wires or what I can use to protect my wires :???: I don't want to start caging them as Majeeka is used to being freeranged 24/7 and caging her now would just be cruel and it would be like punishing her and she's not done anything wrong. I can't really keep putting Maisy in the hamster cage every time I catch her chewing the wires because It's not really big enough (though I'd rather stick her in the hamster cage than see her electrocute herself or even worse set the flat on fire as it would kill a lot of people) HELP!!!!!!
Out of my mind . . . . . . . back in 5 minutes!!

Goodbye for now my angel Revel, love you lots and lots :hearts: :dumbohalo: :dumborainbow:

daffee

Re: At my wits end

Post by daffee » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:50 am

Some rats will chew wires, some won't. Unfortunatly the only sure-fire way to stop her is to prevent her from getting to the wires anymore. Our Sheri was a terrible wire chewer. She chewed through our phone line and through a multi-plug adaptor (no idea how she didn't electrocute herself on that one!) as well as nibbling our expensive stereo cables (thamkfully notall the way through or OH would not have been happy).we ended up blocking off all the places where the cables ran with bits of hardboard. She still saw it as a challenge and was often found trying to dig her way through the barriers :roll: but it did work. :luck:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:57 am

I've never let my rats free range near wires as I just assumed they would chew them. Can't you free range them somewhere that doesn't have any? I use my landing and hallway as i never have any wires there but if not I could use my dining room which only has my sewing machine which can easily be moved.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Ceslater

Post by Ceslater » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:29 am

i free-range my rats in the hallway so there are no wires for them to chew. one of my rats (no longer alive) was a terrible wire chewer... he managed to get through two pairs of headphones in short succession... now they don't have any access to wires!
deimos...kale...rowan...elvis
jack, alfie, obe, bean, bali and petal. love you all always. x
http://outfitappropriate.blogspot.com

Hannah&Lee

Post by Hannah&Lee » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:07 pm

Hey, my boy Dave was exactly the same, I posted a while ago about the same wire chewing problem and someone suggested chilli powder on the wires.
Worked a treat, I put chilli powder in a cup and added Tabasco to make a paste and then used a paintbrush and painted in onto the wires!
I watched him go straight to the wires have a little chew go 'ahh blegh blegh' he licked his balls a bit??? and hasn’t touched them since!
Good Luck
xxx

EmmaVH

Post by EmmaVH » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:30 pm

We bought a bitter apple spray from amazon to stop Hera chewing the back of the sofa and we sprayed/painted all our wires with it too. So far so good but I'm never sure whether the bitter apple put her off or she just got bored :-?

We have covered the Playstation cable (one of their favourite wires to nibble) with a layer of duct tape followed by a layer of packing tape and nobody has tried nibbling it since. It doesn't look very nice but it does put them off.
:hearts: Athena, Aphrodite, Hera, Fitz, Darwin, Roxy, Lola and Billie
:halo: Persephone

myzoo

Post by myzoo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:00 pm

:D somthing similar to this may work to prtect the wires you can get one with metal in it not sure if this one dose but it gives you the idea http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=meta ... 86.c0.m359 or you could get a different type that had metal in it but is cheaper i cant remember what it was called but iam sure with a quick ebay search you could find some :luck:

majeekarevel

Post by majeekarevel » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys. I can't freerange anywhaere without wires, my flat is teeny. I never had this problem till Maisy arrived. I've bought the curry powder and some hot sauce stuff, so I'll try that. Also P@H has a chew deterrant spray (but I wasn't sure about getting that, though it says it's suitable for using with small animals) While there the girl that showed me the spray let me play with the rescue ratties. They were so cute and adorable and so friendly as she plays with them as much as she can and handles them regularly, and the guy tought they were really cool also. So I had a fun afternoo :D

I might go and have a look in B&Q to see if they have any of the metal tape. Which shops would likely sell the bitter apple?

Goodbye for now my angel Revel, love you lots and lots :hearts: :dumbohalo: :dumborainbow:

EmmaVH

Post by EmmaVH » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:21 pm

This is the one I got http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bitter-Spray/dp/B001A2X4H8, I'm sure you can buy it from other places though. Good luck putting Maisy off nibbling!
:hearts: Athena, Aphrodite, Hera, Fitz, Darwin, Roxy, Lola and Billie
:halo: Persephone

majeekarevel

Post by majeekarevel » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:02 pm

Well I put a mixture of hot curry powder and hot chilli sauce on the exposed part of the telephone wire and Maisy was way too interseted in it so I held out my finger and she grabbed a mouthfull of the mixture off my finger. I think she regretted that move afterwards. She wouldn't go near my finger again after that. So I think next day off I'll coat most of the wires (the ones she has chewed most and see what happens.