Rattie bully?!?

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
Aimzee16

Rattie bully?!?

Post by Aimzee16 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi. I have 5 female rats that live together, one of which is the Mother of the other 4. I have noticed in the last 24 hours that mummy rat (Lilly) has lost the fur on her belly and is patchy in other places. Also she has teeth marks all up her back and neck. I'm concerned that the 3 of the younger rats have been bullying her, the other one is very timid and doesn't like to be touched and always hides in the cage. Would it help Lilly if I put her separate from the other 3 in another cage with the timid one to give her chance to heal, and she will have some company still with the timid one? Any other ideas?

KatieJ

Re: Rattie bully?!?

Post by KatieJ » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:19 pm

I have had two rats with baldy bellies.

Number one was stressed by the other hormonal rats in the cage and made his own belly bald barbering it. This could be what has happened to your girl if there is upset in the cage, have you actually seen them bullying or becoming more stroppy with one another?

The second to my eternal shame I thought was also barbering, turned out he had lice and was just really itchy. It might be worth giving your girl a treatment with spot on just in case, could the marks on her back be from scratching?
::Katie::
~Wisdom~Bounty~Sparrow~Sunshine~Arfur~Wilson~Deeks~Oakie~

Jimi+Milo

Re: Rattie bully?!?

Post by Jimi+Milo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:47 pm

I get the impression from what you've said you've not actually witnessed fighting, so my first thought would be mites. I dont know about the bald patches but its likely what your seeing is little scabs rather than teeth marks and with them being on the back and neck that does sound typical of mites.
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts: