Had to seperate - reintro advice

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
Anthony

Had to seperate - reintro advice

Post by Anthony » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:14 pm

Hey,

for months I've had problems with Joey (he is mentally damaged!) anyway, last month we eventually made a huge breakthrough with him, he just stopped being agressive. He stopped bullying everyone bar one rat, Rupert who he just doesn't get on with. He is the alpha of the group and he isn't an eligible candidate for castration due to having scared lungs.

Today, I've found all 9 other boys are terrified of him and won't go near him. I mean seriously terrified, they were squeaking whenever Joey went near them. None of them have any battle wounds, so I don't think a fight has happened but I don't know what. I've put Joey alone for the moment but I don't know what to do. I don't want to damage his confidence even more. I'm thinking of leaving him 24 hours and seeing if he calms down, but I'm worried if he doesn't and he has bit Rupert's tail twice (or atleast Rupert has bite marks, but we aren't really sure who else could have done it - we only assume it was Joey). I was thinking of just leaving him for a week or so and do some heavy bonding and try to get him friendlier (well, we are always trying, but I mean like hardcore bonding, like spending 90% of his time with me) and then trying to reintro them and hope he calms down, but then I don't wanna keep him alone... but then I don't feel it's fair to take the two boys he gets on with out of the group :(

he is now sitting where the tube was to get to the upper cage (it's a furet plus) and he is making a weird squeak sound ;s

What to do? Any advice would be amazing!
Ollie :dumbo:, Oskar :dumbo:, Riley :smileyrat:, Joey :smileyrat:, Rupert :smileyrat: Eska :teen: , Erik :teen: and The baby :dumboteen:, Miles :baby:, Axel :baby:

RIP Louis, Minnie & Ginger <3

Jemma

Re: Had to seperate - reintro advice

Post by Jemma » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:03 am

I wouldn’t separate a semi bonded group unless there were actually some injuries there, or you risk reinforcing the idea that if he plays up he gets to be fussed by you lots. I would probably (and have done in the past) do the opposite, and put them all back into a smaller cage / carrier. If he is actually biting and wounding it’s a different matter, or if he is driving them away from there food.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June