Rats in heat?

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
deano87
Location: Maidenhead, Berkshire "OR" Colchester, Essex (University)

Rats in heat?

Post by deano87 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:25 pm

So around spring 2011 say March time my two started humping each other, one week it was one and then one week it was another. There was constant chasing about the cage and 'the humper' always had the look on her face of "what have i done?" when being kicked in the face etc by the other.

It is now August and they are at it again, there was one occasion around June time also i think where they started it then.

Is this normal for 2 females? What should i do when it occurs?

Is it a good idea to isolate 'the humper' away from the humped in a seperate cage? and upon doing this should i keep her there indefinetely or just overnight to allow them to sleep seperately?

I have not long just put Malibu or 'the humper' (on this occasion) in a seperate (smaller) cage overnight for tonight, this is the first time i have done this but i feel it will benefit them with a nice sleep, instead of a constant fight/squeeking session till they both tire out and sleep.. seperately in the cage? of course on a normal average day when they are not 'in heat', they both sleep happily together all the time :)

In general, they are both lovely and ocassionaly have a squable over food with a little tussle which is normally just funny and interesting to watch. I am also aware of the 'its only natural approach' where i just leave them too it and let nature take its cause. But this recent (current) episode seems to involve alot of squeeking, or maybe it is just be noticing more being home from university. I would just like advice, as i do not want my ratties overstressed, falling out, or injured.

Thanks for opinions in advanced,
Dean
:hearts: Malibu & Coke :smileyrat: :smileyrat: 20/09/2010 :hearts:

"Rats are soft and fuzzy, they love to be adored and when you scratch behind their ears... you will not be ignored!"

ErnieG!

Re: Rats in heat?

Post by ErnieG! » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:27 am

Well, females come into heat every 5 days or so, it may be that they are trying to establish who the boss is.
It is nothing to worry about, it's a natural thing for them to do and I would see no need to even think about keeping them apart, but to be aware of the no blood no foul rule :D
Depending on how old they are, if they are young, it will settle down as the hormone levels drop!
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:46 am

I have six girls and they are always humping each other :roll: Every few days one will go into heat, set the others off and they'll just be loads of scuffling and humping and squeaking for a bit and then it will all die down. It's totally normal and doesn't harm or distress them at all so I just let them get on with it. To be honest, I don't think separating them is necessary, it's possible that the distress of being on their own is worse than the stress of being humped a bit :wink:
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

deano87
Location: Maidenhead, Berkshire "OR" Colchester, Essex (University)

Post by deano87 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:03 pm

Oh really? Every 5 days...really ... wow! And i thought heat was a once-a-year thing lol! I had a single rat before, having a pair is so much different

They are 10 months old :)

Thankyou for the input so far, i think they each appreciated the seperation last night as they got a quiet night sleep each :lol: The squeeking beforehand was really intense, i woke up in the morning (aswell as through the night) to find too rats who distanced themselves and were both dosing off in perculiar locations with the look of sleepless nights..
:hearts: Malibu & Coke :smileyrat: :smileyrat: 20/09/2010 :hearts:

"Rats are soft and fuzzy, they love to be adored and when you scratch behind their ears... you will not be ignored!"

yuuki_forever

Post by yuuki_forever » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:21 pm

I've never had humpers, personally. Mine just chase and sniff each others bits! But I wouldn't worry about it unless there is a serious fight and blood is drawn
Rukia, Misaki and Mai

Forever in my heart; Rose, Buffy, Willow, Lucius, Malachi, Morrigan, Merrick, Yuuki and Shirou