Biting

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
LindaLakota

Biting

Post by LindaLakota » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:03 am

I have had my four boys for about ten months now and after introducing two younger rats to my dumbos about six months ago they have all gotten on fine and introduction was a breeze. But now for the last couple of months i have come home to find one of them with a little blood on his fur where he has been bitten by another.
They have a bit of a pinning match every now and then and have a pop when one jumps all over the other when hes asleep but otherwise dont tend to fight and never hurt each other.
I will always find them piled up asleep and cuddling but then will always find another one in a couple of days with a small bite.

Does anyone have any advice or insight into what its all about and why they are doing it?

Jemma

Re: Biting

Post by Jemma » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:36 am

How old are they. It’s quite likely that your youngest are reaching the age where there hormones are kicking in a little, meaning that sudden;y they want to be alpha rat. Hence a little more serious fighting. It is likely that they will pass through this stage in the next month or two, but if it gets serious and rats get bitten badly or the cage becomes unhappy for a while then you can consider castrating the offending rats.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June