Next ratty family

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
cookiemistress

Next ratty family

Post by cookiemistress » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:50 pm

I currently own one male rat, he's out whenever im home and he seems perfectly happy.
He lives in a 4 ft 9 cage, lots of levels and is out ever mornign and night for at least 1 hour am and 2-3 hours pm, sometimes during the day to. He has a wooden bedding box my sister made for her ferret years back that he adores, lazing in it resting his chin on the lip at the front :lol:

I'm thinking about getting a small group next time round probably males as the females ive had have been evil whereas the males have been "perfect", i'm also thinking about making a cage to :D

How easy is it to introduce new males together that are from different litters and different ages?
How do you litter train them? Ive tried moving his poops into the litter tray but that doesnt work and he doesnt use just one place to poop either.

myzoo

Re: Next ratty family

Post by myzoo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:20 pm

:D hi when introducing i would recomend introing younger boys before their horemones kick in its supposed to be a bit easier that way as introing rats at adult age theres more of a chance of dominant behaiviour and fights for alfa ect.
why not get a couple of young lads to go with the one you have now rats should ideally be kept in groups of 2 or idealy more they are social creatures that thrive of compny from their own kind.
usually no amount of free range human comany can replace rattie company.having had lone rats myself i have seen the benefits hving them in groups they seem so much happier with a couple of freinds.i think most people will agree they shouldnt be kept alone unless for very good reasons .anyway gonna stop with the lecture and welcome you to the forum.
iam sure sombody with more experience of intros will be along soon :luck:

myzoo

Post by myzoo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:50 pm

:D fogot to add if you do get any more ratties how about considering rescues or a good reccomendable breeder you can get advice on here for breeders and rescues :wink: :luck: :luck:

cookiemistress

Post by cookiemistress » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:25 pm

Yep thanx will have a think about it.

cookiemistress

Post by cookiemistress » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:27 pm

On another note, if i do get some more ratty's:
How would i go about introducing them?
How many ideally?
Having previously had a female i would be leaning towards male, any problem with males together?

toyah

Post by toyah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:31 pm

You would be best off starting this as a new thread on our new forum - www.fancyratsforum.co.uk - there is also a link at the top of this forum.
Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough.

Hawthorn Rats - http://www.hawthorn.smugmug.com