Tea Diving

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
Hexi

Tea Diving

Post by Hexi » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:28 pm

So, today while we were free roaming on the sofa, i was sitting there and Tokyo took a big interest in my (luke warm by that point) cup of tea. He then proceeded to balance on the edge of my mug and stick his whole head in and paddle around a bit before jumping off and washing his face clean.

I laughed very very hard cause he looked adorable all wet but i dunno if that is a normal thing to do. Maybe he just likes liquids, he padles in the puddle made by the water bottle too.

Does anyone else's rats enjoy tea? very english.
First time mum to my little men, Tokyo and Ezio.

seekee

Re: Tea Diving

Post by seekee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:44 pm

Yep, my girls have lapped at the dregs left behind in mugs! We don't tend to leave glasses/mugs near them unattended though, they have a predictable but unfortunate track record of spilling anything and everything at the earliest opportunity. I once had a mug of fresh tea when I was them, and the warmth both fascinated them and put them off! Bit too hot for the whiskers methinks.
Nurgle & Slaanesh <3

rattycorner

Post by rattycorner » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:38 pm

Yes, mine like a taste of tea. I don't mind them drinking a little, but I do object to having my cuppa sneezed in or used as a wash basin.

rat_mummy

Post by rat_mummy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:52 am

When my rats stayed with my mum she gave them tea and toast for breakfast every morning, it was their holiday treat :)

Hexi

Post by Hexi » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:55 am

yeah i'd never leave them unattended with a fresh cup. they were both fascinated by the hot mugs but thankfully decided not to dive right in.
My mug was in my hand resting on my tummy when Tokyo dove in. have to say it put me off drinking the rest. XD

there were a lot of "Excuse me sir, do you know there's a rat in my tea? You hum it I'll play it" type jokes afterwards. XD
First time mum to my little men, Tokyo and Ezio.

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:16 am

Yes, they like it and it's harmless as long as it's not too hot and not in excess.

if he likes dipping his head / paws in water it would be worth giving them a coop cup or similar sort of bowl of water in the cage - mine love it and use it in preference to their bottles. Some of them also dip their paws in it for grooming.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat: