Pets at Home survey

Locked
User avatar
Becca:)
Member
Member
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:29 am

Re: Pets at Home survey

Post by Becca:) » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:56 am

Yes I agree they did tell me all vet bills would be payed if I had any problems. Luckily for my two, Mhaya wasn't pregnant and my veterinary nurse friend reckons she had a phantom pregnancy which would explain her changes in behavior and sudden nipple grooming! She is now back to her normal self just with bald nips! :-)

When I bought my two the girl serving us grabbed a random rat (not the one I had asked for) and dropped her into my hands for me to 'hold'. Then when getting the ones I wanted, she just grabbed them, vaguely health 'checked' them (Sugar had some sores on her nose when I got her home that kept recurring :|) and popped them in a box. Meanwhile one of them shouted across the store to her colleague 'We got rid of the bald rat!' I was also told the same about rat nuggets. I also nearly laughed when told they would both get a lot bigger... Mhaya is practically full grown! They seemed to think they were tiny babies but it's obvious they weren't. Sugar has a bit of growing up to do but Mhaya for some reason looked older than all of the others, it remains a mystery. Perhaps she had even had babies before I bought her!

I have to also agree with the fact that they are not sweet and licky like other rats on this forum, Sugar jumps and hides when I hold her and when out on me she just looks for somewhere to be hidden! Mhaya isn't so bad to pick up and will have a wander but I can tell she would still rather be off doing other things than sat on me! At least the nipping stage is over anyway.

Anyway I could go on for days about that store, but at least I know I can now give them a better life :love:
Mhaya :smileyrat: Sugar :smileyrat: Fen :baby: Fae :baby:

User avatar
Rose's Mischief
Member
Member
Posts: 3031
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:05 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire
Contact:

Re: Pets at Home survey

Post by Rose's Mischief » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:22 pm

Our first two boys were from PAH, and came home with respiratory infections, but apart from that were fine. Lovely, calm lads.

I also took in a lone ratty from a different store, and he was fine too, very gentle and loving, and no health problems obvious as yet.
:dumbo:Puck(16m) :dumbo:Hugo(13m) :dumbo:Troy(14m)
RIP Franco, Gareth, Fantoosh, Stuart, Mr Quin, Chestnut, Mincemeat, Jonah, Barnaby, and Harvey :dumbohalo:
Rats aren't for everyone ... they're very picky.

User avatar
Hannah&Lee
Member
Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Pets at Home survey

Post by Hannah&Lee » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Becca:) wrote:I have to also agree with the fact that they are not sweet and licky like other rats on this forum, Sugar jumps and hides when I hold her and when out on me she just looks for somewhere to be hidden! Mhaya isn't so bad to pick up and will have a wander but I can tell she would still rather be off doing other things than sat on me! At least the nipping stage is over anyway.
How long have you had them for?
Ive had my boys for over 3 months now and although there confidence has massively improved they aren’t 'squishes', they like going down my top and making nests but defiantly aren’t as interested in spending time with me as other peoples rats.
I have them out 5hrs plus a day and always use treats etc
Im considering posting something under behaviour, but i think it’s just because breeder rats are handled from such a young age and treated so well that they are noticeably different. I think P@H neglect really effects their behaviour.
Do people agree? Are P@H rats more timid/ take longer to socialize?

redrach
Member
Member
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:27 pm
Location: Newtownards, Northern Ireland

Re: Pets at Home survey

Post by redrach » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:23 pm

I was sold two males who turned out to be females. It was confirmed twice in the store. I thought their male parts just hadn't shown yet. My vet confirmed they were males. They wern't. I put them in with my two lads and had two litters three weeks later.
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

User avatar
Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team
Posts: 7989
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:36 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re: Pets at Home survey

Post by Cyber Ratty » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:35 pm

Hannah&Lee wrote:Im considering posting something under behaviour, but i think it’s just because breeder rats are handled from such a young age and treated so well that they are noticeably different. I think P@H neglect really effects their behaviour.
It's not just the handling, most breeders have rats from lines where temperament has been one of the selection criteria over many generations and that makes a big difference. However, handling and socialisation are also very important - but the rodent farms are just as much if not more to blame than the outlets like PAH.
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

User avatar
Becca:)
Member
Member
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:29 am

Re: Pets at Home survey

Post by Becca:) » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Hannah&Lee wrote: How long have you had them for?
Ive had my boys for over 3 months now and although there confidence has massively improved they aren’t 'squishes', they like going down my top and making nests but defiantly aren’t as interested in spending time with me as other peoples rats.
I have them out 5hrs plus a day and always use treats etc
Im considering posting something under behaviour, but i think it’s just because breeder rats are handled from such a young age and treated so well that they are noticeably different. I think P@H neglect really effects their behaviour.
Do people agree? Are P@H rats more timid/ take longer to socialize?
I have had mine for just 3 weeks and taking that into consideration, Mhaya has tamed up quite well. I couldn't get her out of my dressing gown today but like you say I think she is more interested in exploring it rather than me, I have had no licks yet! Sugar is my hairless rat and she squirms like crazy if I pick her up, she also nips/nibbles at my fingers a lot, especially if I'm stroking her, although this seems to be a rarer thing as each week passes :roll:

I think it is to do with the fact that they have had no human socialisation yet and that breeders rats are maybe that bit more 'squishy' because they are bred for it :hearts:

I love them all the same and they are worth all the nips, I can sit and watch them for ages :-) I would say they will probably be that bit more timid their whole lives, but I wouldn't know as these two are my first! Good luck with your boys I hope you get some licks soon! Persistance is key hehe :love:
Mhaya :smileyrat: Sugar :smileyrat: Fen :baby: Fae :baby:

User avatar
Hannah&Lee
Member
Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Pets at Home survey

Post by Hannah&Lee » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Cyber Ratty wrote:
Hannah&Lee wrote:Im considering posting something under behaviour, but i think it’s just because breeder rats are handled from such a young age and treated so well that they are noticeably different. I think P@H neglect really effects their behaviour.
It's not just the handling, most breeders have rats from lines where temperament has been one of the selection criteria over many generations and that makes a big difference. However, handling and socialisation are also very important - but the rodent farms are just as much if not more to blame than the outlets like PAH.
Yes I’ve learnt my lesson its was distressing for the rats and for me. Is there anything me and Becca:) can do to boost our rats confidence and love for us?
I know it sound terribly selfish but i got rats as i know they are very affectionate (i need a bit of love :oops: )
and im very very jealous of peoples cute snuggly rat pics. I love my boys and wouldnt change them for the world but is there anything i can do to help them?
Sorry this thread went off on a tangent....

User avatar
Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team
Posts: 7989
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:36 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re: Pets at Home survey

Post by Cyber Ratty » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:56 pm

Hannah&Lee wrote:Sorry this thread went off on a tangent....
To get it back on track, please start a thread in Behaviour for help. :wink:
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

User avatar
HannahJ82
Member
Member
Posts: 1185
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:49 am
Location: Cirencester, Glos.

Re: Pets at Home survey

Post by HannahJ82 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:04 pm

Two years ago I had to fetch a member of staff to show them one of their rats had a giant throat abscess.

My first 3 boys were of a litter from my friend's p@h doe (one of a pair) which was pregnant when he got her. He noticed a few days after bringing her home and luckily her labour was fine.

I often see rats overheating in my local p@h store and have to ask a member of staff to remedy this.

I adopted a rat from them which had terrible diarrhea and was PTS with CK, after their vet had allegedly treated and cured the rat.

Their vet was going to pts two of my bucks just because they had a myco flare-up and told me it was Pasteurella and there was nothing she could do.
Hannah J

Tiny "Tots", Poe, Seth, Trumpet, Bugle, Sweep, Aniseed, Templeton, Mr Gosh, Vega, Pie, Zero, Pan, Aether, Raggamuffin.
RIP Rocky, Devy, Lump, Aleister, Loki, Jester, Flay, Sooty, Baby.

User avatar
Thorn
Member
Member
Posts: 682
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:21 pm
Location: South Hampshire

Re: Pets at Home survey

Post by Thorn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:26 am

Cyber Ratty wrote:
Hannah&Lee wrote:Im considering posting something under behaviour, but i think it’s just because breeder rats are handled from such a young age and treated so well that they are noticeably different. I think P@H neglect really effects their behaviour.
It's not just the handling, most breeders have rats from lines where temperament has been one of the selection criteria over many generations and that makes a big difference. However, handling and socialisation are also very important - but the rodent farms are just as much if not more to blame than the outlets like PAH.
Personally I believe the pet shops have more to blame as they provide the market for rodent farms to exist..if the stopped selling animals then rodents farms would soon run out of business and then only be able to farm rodents for feed which goes onto another matter :(
Owned by Does: Bella, Scout, Puck and Mouse, and bucks: Atticus, Chali and Dill
Rest In Peace my beautiful girls Tonks, Socks, Luna and Chino

User avatar
Lizzie47
Member
Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:40 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Pets at Home survey

Post by Lizzie47 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:21 pm

I went to pets at home when they were doing this workshop thing for children and went round the small pets and talked about them, it said on the leaflet about it that you would be able to hold the small pets and learn how to care for them. Yeah right :roll: The lady talked like she couldn't be bothered and had no interest in the pet she was talking about and none of the pets were got out of the tanks because they all ran and hid when she put her hand in, she said she's not going to try to hard to get a rat out because they bite and don't like to be handled, she said they don't need any human food just their rat mix, red eyed ones have really good eyesight, they don't need big cages, tanks are good and bascially gave out all the worng information :angry: :(
:hearts: xxx Honey and Treasure xxx :dumbogirly:

User avatar
Thorn
Member
Member
Posts: 682
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:21 pm
Location: South Hampshire

Re: Pets at Home survey

Post by Thorn » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:30 am

Lizzie47 wrote:I went to pets at home when they were doing this workshop thing for children and went round the small pets and talked about them, it said on the leaflet about it that you would be able to hold the small pets and learn how to care for them. Yeah right :roll: The lady talked like she couldn't be bothered and had no interest in the pet she was talking about and none of the pets were got out of the tanks because they all ran and hid when she put her hand in, she said she's not going to try to hard to get a rat out because they bite and don't like to be handled, she said they don't need any human food just their rat mix, red eyed ones have really good eyesight, they don't need big cages, tanks are good and bascially gave out all the worng information :angry: :(
Thats awful Lizzie, did you complain?
Owned by Does: Bella, Scout, Puck and Mouse, and bucks: Atticus, Chali and Dill
Rest In Peace my beautiful girls Tonks, Socks, Luna and Chino

User avatar
Lizzie47
Member
Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:40 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Pets at Home survey

Post by Lizzie47 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:20 pm

Thorn wrote:
Lizzie47 wrote:I went to pets at home when they were doing this workshop thing for children and went round the small pets and talked about them, it said on the leaflet about it that you would be able to hold the small pets and learn how to care for them. Yeah right :roll: The lady talked like she couldn't be bothered and had no interest in the pet she was talking about and none of the pets were got out of the tanks because they all ran and hid when she put her hand in, she said she's not going to try to hard to get a rat out because they bite and don't like to be handled, she said they don't need any human food just their rat mix, red eyed ones have really good eyesight, they don't need big cages, tanks are good and bascially gave out all the worng information :angry: :(
Thats awful Lizzie, did you complain?
As I am a child I have been to one of the pets at home workshops, a different one to the one I wrote about above, and although it didn't give out exactly the right information it was far better than the one I watched and I said this to a member of staff, I said politely the lady was informing children the wrong things. The man said the person who was meant to be doing the workshop wasn't here yet so it was a different lady who was just a store staff member. I said I didn't think they should be doing the workshop then but didn't get an answer, as I am a child I don't think I get listened to when I complain in situations like these :(
:hearts: xxx Honey and Treasure xxx :dumbogirly:

User avatar
Thorn
Member
Member
Posts: 682
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:21 pm
Location: South Hampshire

Re: Pets at Home survey

Post by Thorn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:39 am

I'm 25 hun and I don't get listened to. You can write and complain, I find that is the best way as I don't like confrontation.
Owned by Does: Bella, Scout, Puck and Mouse, and bucks: Atticus, Chali and Dill
Rest In Peace my beautiful girls Tonks, Socks, Luna and Chino

User avatar
Ceslater
Member
Member
Posts: 1540
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:18 pm
Location: uk
Contact:

Re: Pets at Home survey

Post by Ceslater » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:04 pm

i've had 6 petshop rats. the last 2 were desisions after i had decided to never buy petshop rats, both were bought months apart from each other. obe was 4 months old and had been alone in a tank for about 8 weeks. bean was 3 and a half months and was alone. both had terrible health problems. Obe had a permanant head tilt after an infection. he also had chronic resp problems and was on and off anti-b's for his short life. he died at just over a year. Bean had bad health too and died suddenly in my arms at 9 months old, both died too suddenly to get them too the vet to be pts. Bean died within a minute of me coming into my flat. like i said they were rats that i knew faced terrible health but i chose to let them live with me knowing i had experience with introductions, knowing they'd go from living alone to living in a group and knowing that i would be able to care for them however they needed it, i couldn't know whether someone buying a lone rat from a petshop was going to do that.

the first 4
Alfie was from the same petshop as Obe and Bean. he too had awful health and died of resp problems, he was PTS.
Petal, Bali and Jack were all from PAH. all had good health throughout their lives until the final thing that killed them. all died of tumours. jack had a PT, petal and bali both died of facial tumours (all were PTS).

as far as temprement i have never had rats with anything but lovely temprements, all very different but i've never had a problem temprement. all my petshop rats have not been handled really before i got them, some were more scared than others but all quickly came out of their shells.

the local petshop i would not touch with a bargepole (where alfie, bean and obe came from) but the local PAH was very good and i can't say i have compleaints with the.
deimos...kale...rowan...elvis
jack, alfie, obe, bean, bali and petal. love you all always. x
http://outfitappropriate.blogspot.com

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest