Pets at Home survey

the_ruffian

Re: Pets at Home survey

Post by the_ruffian » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:14 am

I bought 2 young rats from petsathome over 5 years ago. I went back a 2 weeks lator to add to the brood ( I wanted two more males to go with Linus and Ripley). They told me I could not purchase any more rats from them as any new rats i introduced would be attacked and killed. I assured them id done this before, about introductions being on neutral ground, putting the cages along side eachother, letting them get to know eachother and gradually being allowed in together, disguising smells, etcetc. The staff refused saying that none of that mattered, the rats would not get along( Linus and Ripley were 4 months old and the new bucks would have been 8 weeks). I was quite disgusted and went to another shop to get 2 males, and ofcourse all four boys lator lived together from then on. I sometimes think they employ staff who are ignorant and likely to remain that way. :angryrat:
Is soon to be ratless.:'(

izimcflizz

Post by izimcflizz » Tue May 05, 2009 1:15 pm

My first girls were from p@h

we were told dumbos outlive top ears which is why they are more expensive

and that wood shavings were fine to use, my girls were on it for a week before I decided I didnt like the smell or the feel and they were swapped to paper/ tissue/ cardboard/ yesterdays newspaper

But when I found Nirrti in the rehome section ( i know) she had originally been missexed when she was put in the tank and was all alone next to 4 girls- the staff got her out and rolled their eyes at the missex and let me have her for half the 'rehoming fee' as I had looked for boys. I had allready spotted she was naddless and could go in with my girls - being a nadless boy or not but I made out I had originally come for a boy anyway- it was something to do with not as advertised or something :lol:
Gogglebox mischief JD Lucy Dali Emma Russell Gandalf Merlin Queenie Sparrow Nova
:rainbow: Theo Puddle-Duck Boomer Adam Bella Hetty Pepper Little-Dorrit Ginger Horus Maia Boo Cleo Kirra Freya Faith River Treacle Honey Star Geordie Pudding Willow

CovetKaty

Post by CovetKaty » Mon May 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Going by a thread I made in the Chitchat part of the forum.

I called PAH today asking about their dumbos (was curious) and was told that they're more expensive because they live longer (which I swiftly told the girl was a load of rubbish). I then asked about whether they had female top ears and she replied "We only sell Fancy Rats and Dumbo rats".

I asked about cages a few months back (before I found this forum) and was taken to what was actually a hamster cage was suitable. If I'd not found this forum I would have probably believed everything they said. Also I found it quite amusing that it says in their care leaflet not to keep them on wood shavings but the ones in the tanks were kept on it.
Run free at the bridge my two beautiful girls.
Maisy and Lola.

Lor x

Post by Lor x » Mon May 18, 2009 5:49 pm

Dory - sold as a lone rat with a hamster cage, but the guy did say he kept rats himself at to use Carefresh and that if I could get a bigger cage and get her a friend it would be best for her.

Squeak - Sold as a lone rat. Got told she had a clean bill of health but had mites and gave them to Dory. Lady also told me that you can't introduce rats from a different "batch" as they'd kill each other.

Mischief, Munchkin, Misty and Boomer were all sold as lone rats but the people did make sure I had a big enough cage but they were all taken out the cages by their tails.

Edward and Emmett - From adoption centre. Guy was quite confident at handling them even though he said he didn't really like rats very much. He was just scared in case he trapped a paw in the carrier I had brought along. Didn't push for a donation. Asked what cage I had, if I'd kept them before. When I got to the till though another member of staff said "oh is that the girls sold then?" and the colour drained from his face. She had just mistaken them for another 2 rats they'd had in.

All PAHs are different in regards to staff. Some are very good and some are terrible. But you have to remember PAH as a company is out to make money and so if a member of staff can push the sale of animals that's great. If another member of staff cares about the animals and would stop them being sold on their own, only allowed a sale if they'd buy a bigger cage, etc they will be out and someone else with no problems with their ethics will be in. It's just the way it works.
Owned by the girls; Starbuck and Racetrack. The boys; Emmett, Edward, Husker and Apollo. The Cats; Jasper and Charlie. And the Hamster; Gnasher.
Mourns Dory, Squeak, Misty, Mischief, Boomer and Munchkin.

sjmanfa

Post by sjmanfa » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:42 pm

I got my two new boys from Pets at Home adoption centre (Doctor Sweets amd Mister Squeeks) about a month ago. (I disagree with pet shops selling animals but they looked so depressed and we had had three rats die over Nov - Feb so we had a spare cage and enough space that I just couldn't leave them) They were in there because they were too big to sell. The girl who got them out for me seemed quite confident handling them, and they were obviously boys as they were old enough to have big testicles so no worry about sexing them wrong :lol: She asked if we already had a cage, and I said yes, but she didn't ask what cage we had or whether it was a suitable size - maybe she just assumed as we had told her we have had rats before.

I like my pets at home becuase they have a great selection of toys and treats for me to get for my rats but the cages they keep the animals in are horrible - all glass with nothing for them to do but sleep, and only nuggets to eat. When I got the boys home it took them a good fortnight to decide to try out the hammock, they just slept at the bottom of the cage. It also took them ages to try any other food than the nuggets - even brocolli! It's taken this whole month to get them confident around people and they are still a little jumpy but I'm glad that I got them.
Doctor Sweets, Mister Squeeks, Dumbledore and Gandalf

RIP Koko, Pippin, Megatron, Buffy

Cadwedig

Post by Cadwedig » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:56 pm

We got our second & third from P@H. When we got our second we were advised to introduce them by putting our small cage inside the big one & swapping the rats on a daily basis between the 2 cages. This resulted in Rocky being petrified & aggressive towards Rambo, especially when he was in the smaller cage. Rambo, on the other hand, was used to being around other rats & took to curling up on top of the small cage. Rocky got scared & bit his toe - we were woken up at 3am by insane squeaking & lots of blood! Poor Rambo's nail was pulled out, the wound got infected & his nail grew back & still looks odd now, over a year later!
Other than that we've not had any problems!
Jo

:hearts: Rambo :oldbuck: & Lizzie :girly: & Bella :girly:
Rocky :halo: & Nutty :halo: :hearts:

pierced_lady

Post by pierced_lady » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:32 pm

There is a new Pets at Home in my local area, Port Talbot. The rats they have there are in teeny tiny tanks with nothing in to stimulate them apart from one little thing to hide under. I had no intention of buying but asked a couple of questions and just left feeling so sad. I was basically told that they have a constant stream of them so if I wanted one I'd not have to wait long. I asked about where they had come from and was told they were from a local-ish breeder. I asked about the breeder and he said he didn't really know about them, as the rats were always sent to the Swansea branch first. I asked since there was such a steady supply were they from a feeder breeder and he just mumbled, went red and walked off. I wasn't harassing or anything, just making conversation. It was so sad seeing them there like that, there was about 5 stories of glass tanks and theirs was at the top. At first I thought that the tank was at small but at least not really tiny until I saw it was sectioned off in half :cry:
Rats ~ little pets with big pet personality :-) My furs are not in storage or draped across the bed, they're hanging from the cage door waiting to be fed :-)

Nielle

Post by Nielle » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:47 am

I was in my local one just the other day. The rats seemed in pretty good condition, and they'd separated does and bucks which is a good start. However, there were selling top-ears as dumbos, and as you may know, they sell dumbos for a couple of £s more than top-ears. Easy way to make a few extra pounds each sale, no? The lady there actually specifically told me they were dumbos. I'm still waiting for my first ratties, but even I know what a dumbo and a top-ear look like!
Proud mummy to Mayli, Nixie, Millie, Evie and Maisie

Lloy-D2788

Post by Lloy-D2788 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:10 pm

I adopted Bill and Ben... they turned out to be Elphie and Esmie! Took us all of 5 minutes to realise when we got them home and we had never had rats in our lives!! I've never seen does and bucks mixed though and they do tell people that they require large cages! All the suitable ones are marked with a tag too which I think is pretty good! :)
Lloyd x

Eximius Rats - 'Excellence is a fine pursuit'
North of England Rat Society - Promoting excellence in the care and breeding of fancy rats

xoffender

Post by xoffender » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:14 pm

I've never got any rats from pets at home but when i was younger I had a hamster that my parents got from p@h for me.. the guy dropped it when he took it out the cage!! The little thing was so timid :( she didn't live to a long age unfortunately
hmm bout time i got a signature!!
owned by the 2 girls .. Daisy (aka.. oi! stop it!) & Dorothy (RIP)
and the new boy Hamish :)

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:58 am

No chance of my P@H getting it wrong with a certain member of FR working there. Not ideal the way they are kept in small tanks, gives a false impression of how much space they actually need but if it's shop policy then you can't change it. They definitely make the most of what they have to work with and definitely get the sex correct.

I would never buy rats from there because of the whole pet shop rat thing but if that was excluded and there were no rats in recues i would definitely consider getting rats from my local p@h.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Sugar-Mouse

Post by Sugar-Mouse » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:08 pm

Sorry I don't have any rats yet is it okay to post about my experience of buying a hamster from Pets At Home?

So we got Gizmo from our local p@h (gloucester) and as you do we asked the sex, to which the guy replied 'oh yeah its definatly a boy' after having a quick peek of his backend. So to complete our new boy we then bought him a nice blue hamster cage with all blue things to match.

We got him home and lo and behold he is actually a she. We had a look on google for pics for comparison and she definatly had a line of nipples and no furry teabags.

We have since returned to the shop and looked at the other hamsters for sale and I must say how can you not tell the difference? Okay so i'm no genious in sexing but the males in there I have seen have huuuuge furry teabags just sticking out. :roll:

Although I have noticed the rats are the same. Is it really that difficult to sex hamsters and rats? Maybe when then are babies but the ones that are in store are always pretty well noticable to me.

The staff in the Gloucester one don't seem particularly helpful. 9 times out of 10 they prefer to carry on their own conversations than pack our purchases into a bag, and give us dirty looks when we ask for one. Some of them really need to buck up their ideas
Bunny Mum To ~ Tinkerbell, Tiger, Tilly, Tia, Bluebell, Button, Basil, Archie & Shelby
Also Mum To ~ Louie The Chihuahua & Twiglet The African Pygmy Hedgehog <3
Friendly Rabbit Forum: http://www.rabbitretreat.com/

Poppyhal

Post by Poppyhal » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:02 pm

I obtained a rat from the adoption section who was a 'five month old boy'. She could only have been three months old, if that! After I signed the adoption documents, she (the manager) said " you have got a cage and that?"

This is the only and last time I went into a pets at home.
:love: Fraggle, Dusty, Pootle, Lennie, Scamp, Biscuit, Pickle, Cinders and Norman-Stanley-Fletcher :love:
Missing you all

sumi

Post by sumi » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:23 pm

i haven't had any problems other than perhaps the rats were sold at a bit too young age - i think they should have stayed with their mother for a bit longer. but the attendents were really helpful and one lovely girl told me all about the rats she has herself :)

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:05 am

My god, I can't believe some of the stuff I read but at the same time i'm not surprised.

First rat I bought, Tonks was sold to me on her own i didn't know they needed company. Luckily my housemate decided she wanted one too so went to get another female. Luckily both were female.

In 2007 I went to buy 2 males and came out with 1 definate female, Chino, and one we never knew the sex of, we called him Mr Socks he was a lovely berkshire dumbo but he died 2 weeks after we bought him home, no idea why. They then let me choose a replacement but they only had red eyed's and i wasn't too keen but I chose the cutest and liveliest female and the staff said it was female then when the vet sexed her she said it was a boy!! I mean for heavens sake! We called her Luna, she died early this year very suddenly, don't know why. Chino died after a long battle with a ear infection/abcess in June.

We now have 2 girls, Scout and Bellatrix, they were sold to us as females 11/12 weeks old and looked so confident in the cage but you could tell they had been teased and handled very rarely. It was end of June we got them and Scout still doesn't trust us fully - I gave her a kiss last night and she freaked and ran and hid under my leg! Bella was also a nasty biter when we got her home, she now only ever bites if she gets a finger through the cage so I have to make sure i keep an eye on any kids that are near :roll:

Maybe this thread should be sent to some authority or something. I am appalled at how their animals have been sold and with such little and false info.
Owned by Does: Bella, Scout, Puck and Mouse, and bucks: Atticus, Chali and Dill
Rest In Peace my beautiful girls Tonks, Socks, Luna and Chino