Rat used in Cinema advert

rhw

Rat used in Cinema advert

Post by rhw » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:07 pm

If you visit one of 600 cinemas in the UK between now and 5 March 2009 to see a film with certificate 15 or over, you are likely to be subjected to the following advertisement. It is shocking and graphic:

http://www.realdanger.co.uk

This advert highlights the dangers of buying counterfeit drugs and is a collaboration between: Pfizer, Men’s Health Forum, H.E.A.R.T. UK, MHRA and The Patients Association.

The website reference for this advert quotes the following: 'All the rats used were sourced from a zoological supplier who provides pre-frozen animal food. None of the rats were killed for the making of the advert. The person who supplied the rats is a trained animal handler and is a founder member of the Animal Welfare Filming Federation.'
‘In order to create maximum impact, the rat coming from the actor’s mouth needed to look as realistic as possible. There were two stages that needed to be considered. Firstly a model rat was built out of sponge and had a realistic tail made, the actor put all of this into his mouth and pulled it out thereby producing one part.’
‘Secondly, the rat was filmed coming through a model mouth on the set. Once the two things were complete, special effects were utilised. The actor’s realistic performance and the realistic footage of the rat enabled the final screen shots depicting the actor actually pulling the rat out of his mouth.’

Despite this claim, this is not made clear during the advert. No statement is made on the website about what happened to these rats after filming ended.

The use of an animal in such a way is disrespectful. Despite the fact that many people often regard rats as vermin, we all know they are intelligent creatures and make wonderful pets. To see them being used in this manner is abhorrent.

Many other people in the cinema were clearly shocked and I was particularly disturbed that an animal can have been used in such a way to send out a 'health' message about the risks of counterfeit drugs. The advert clearly has the impact of horrifying its viewers and detracts from the original aim.

The fact the advert can only be shown at cinemas before films with certificates 15 and over, clearly demonstrates the impact the advert was anticipated to have on its audience. Portraying an animal in this way is completely unacceptable. Such material should not have been created for public viewing.

Please help to stop this advert being shown by:

Email an official complaint to the Advertising Standards Agency at:
http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_compla ... ints_form/

This will only take a couple of minutes. It is vital that as many people as possible do this so that it will be taken seriously.

Also you can join the Facebook Group I have set up to spread awareness and find to out about other ways you can complain about this:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=53307416956

Or search for this in groups: Ban ‘Get Real. Get a prescription.’ Advert at cinemas!

Thank you!

MarieM

Re: Rat used in Cinema advert - please complain!

Post by MarieM » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:17 pm

I have added my comments about the campaign as follows:-

I am offended by this ad as it unnecessarily uses a rat in a negative way. You could have just had the guy collapse on the floor or something and then mentioned about the poison. With the increase of fancy rat owners, this advert is a violation of mutual respect for other life forms. Please consider an alternative. I will be complaining to my MP.

I hope others take action too.
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

Miss K1

Post by Miss K1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:26 pm

that advert is very disturbing i hope somthing is done about it. im glad i dont go to the pics anymore, and i hope my step kids dont see that as they care very deeply about my rats.
x

Dinky

Post by Dinky » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:39 pm

I almost threw up when I saw that advert! Its is absolutely disguisting! I am glad someone is taking action I completely forgot about the advert :oops: I have a very poor attention span and memory - I am emailing them as soon as I finish this!

Its obviously not that memorable even though its disgusting! I thought adverts were meant to be memorable not blocked out via defense mechanism...
Lisa is owned by Harry, Travis and Spencer
:rainbow: Little Husk, Ninja-man; Kes, beautiful blue; Alfie; Big boy Rex; Fussy boy; Wilson - always with me

Miss K1

Post by Miss K1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:41 pm

i have wrote a very extensive complaint about the advert hope it helps
x

Steffi_B

Post by Steffi_B » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:47 pm

How bad is the advert to watch?

Is the rat harmed/killed?

If so, I can't watch it but will complain anyway as it sounds horrid.

Dinky

Post by Dinky » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:55 pm

Steffi_B wrote:How bad is the advert to watch?

How will you know what your complaining about? Its is very nasty I wouldn't watch it is you have a weak stomach - I cringe at it, its vile!
:rainbow: Little Husk, Ninja-man; Kes, beautiful blue; Alfie; Big boy Rex; Fussy boy; Wilson - always with me

Steffi_B

Post by Steffi_B » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:00 pm

Dinky wrote:

How will you know what your complaining about? Its is very nasty I wouldn't watch it is you have a weak stomach - I cringe at it, its vile!
I'll just complain generally about the disrespectful use of an animal in advertising.

I won't watch it then - I've learnt not to watch things like this anymore. I have the sort of mind that won't let me forget about it ever and horrible images will just pop into my head out of nowhere when I'm just doing the washing up or something and I'll start crying.

So yeah, for my own sanity I won't watch it, but will keep an eye on what people are saying about it and complain accordingly. I trust that if you guys say it's bad then it is.

Dinky

Post by Dinky » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:05 pm

Steffi_B wrote:
Dinky wrote:

I'll just complain generally about the disrespectful use of an animal in advertising.

I won't watch it then - I've learnt not to watch things like this anymore. I have the sort of mind that won't let me forget about it ever and horrible images will just pop into my head out of nowhere when I'm just doing the washing up or something and I'll start crying.

So yeah, for my own sanity I won't watch it, but will keep an eye on what people are saying about it and complain accordingly. I trust that if you guys say it's bad then it is.
Thats awful :( I get weird things like that, but for me its probably due to studies of forensic science. I hope they stop the advert it is all of the above really...

Silma

Post by Silma » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:38 pm

I watched it.. it's quite offensive to animals lovers and VERY offensive to Rat lovers. Why a dead rat is comparable to mis-use of prescription drugs I have no idea..

I have put in my complaint accordingly.
Anna - who belongs to girlies - Andromache and Cassandra and the new wee ones - Kalliope, Derae, Krylla, Miriel and Karis. :girly:
Member of the EC (Explorer Club)

Cava5

Post by Cava5 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:20 pm

Surely it would be more relevant for him to pull a box of rat poison out of his mouth? Another bum deal for rats :angryrat:
Anne
Amalie, Freya, Beatrice :girly: Ulrika :dumbogirly:
Twister, Oliver :smileyrat:
Ant, Keeper, Dec,Tirani, Myroy, Loon, Fitlike, DRat, Geordie Hinny, Blanche, Rose @ :rainbow:

caz07

Post by caz07 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:21 pm

Just saw this and was truely sickend have made a strongly worded complaint hope they ban it
Owned By My girls Holly,Roxy and (miss Rat) and Barney,Boris and Huxley
Never forgetting my Ginger (28/12/08), Cookie,Chess (02/05/09) Rata-Chewy(18/8/09) Domino,Whiskas,Basil. Ratimus, Paws, Queenie,Noel
Rest in peace my babies you are sadly missed

mort182

Post by mort182 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:18 pm

Complaint made :angryrat:
Caz - EC member
My girlies :girly: Poppy, Holly and Petal
Never forgetting :halo: Jessie, Gemma, Ellie, Molly, Willow, Charlie, Daisy, Betty and Jay

Miss K1

Re: Rat used in Cinema advert

Post by Miss K1 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:41 am

hi i got a letter back this morning from ASA they have explained that they only deal with certain material on websites and there code does not apply to cinemas. i have a lengthy letter but basicly says there is nothing wrong with the advert and there s nothing tey can do.

MarieM

Re: Rat used in Cinema advert

Post by MarieM » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:49 am

Yep, got my letter too this morning. Because there was no harm to the animal it is above board according to their laws. However, the pschological responsibility in my opinion is ignored. It is still not a good image for our children to see and makes them associate the 'yuck' factor with rats. Might write back to them. They shouldn't get let off this easily.
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats