Rat used in Cinema advert

Dinky

Re: Rat used in Cinema advert

Post by Dinky » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:17 pm

Has anyone got a letter yet? I am been put in touch with someone for feeling physically ill :-?
Lisa is owned by Harry, Travis and Spencer
:rainbow: Little Husk, Ninja-man; Kes, beautiful blue; Alfie; Big boy Rex; Fussy boy; Wilson - always with me

mort182

Post by mort182 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:38 pm

I got my letter this morning too, basically saying the same things as others'. They also said that they felt that most people would understand the adverts intentions and that it would not cause widespread offence.
Caz - EC member
My girlies :girly: Poppy, Holly and Petal
Never forgetting :halo: Jessie, Gemma, Ellie, Molly, Willow, Charlie, Daisy, Betty and Jay

Luinecu

Post by Luinecu » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:20 pm

I'm actually not as horrified as I thought I'd be having read everyone's posts first. I don't think it aims to portray rats in a bad light, rather that 'you could be putting the stuff people kill vermin with in your mouth'. I guess I'm one of those people who has never been freaked out by dead things (too much time working at vets), but I feel really bad (considering all the other reactions here) saying I don't feel disgusted at all.

I've seen scarier ones about drink driving, or driving over the speed limit imo.

Feel free to stand up against these guys though! Well done for voicing your opinions to them :)
- Sophie x x o

:hearts: Jayne, Doyle, Alex, Johnathan, Wash, Eric & Bill :love:

mort182

Post by mort182 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:41 pm

Luinecu wrote:I'm actually not as horrified as I thought I'd be having read everyone's posts first. I don't think it aims to portray rats in a bad light, rather that 'you could be putting the stuff people kill vermin with in your mouth'. I guess I'm one of those people who has never been freaked out by dead things (too much time working at vets), but I feel really bad (considering all the other reactions here) saying I don't feel disgusted at all.

I've seen scarier ones about drink driving, or driving over the speed limit imo.

Feel free to stand up against these guys though! Well done for voicing your opinions to them :)

I do agree in a way - there are much more shocking ads. It's not that I'm digusted by it, more that I don't see the point. I think it would be better if rat poison actually came out of his mouth and he started chocking and bleeding. But maybe the message wouldn't be clear? I do think it's an offensive use of an animal though.
Caz - EC member
My girlies :girly: Poppy, Holly and Petal
Never forgetting :halo: Jessie, Gemma, Ellie, Molly, Willow, Charlie, Daisy, Betty and Jay

rhw

Post by rhw » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:36 pm

I got my letter today too. It says the following:

'I understand from your complaint that you object to the advertiser's use of a rat in the filming of the advertisement.

I am sorry but the Code does not prohibit the use of animals in advertising and advertisers are not required to state that animals were not harmed in the making of their advertisements. Of course, we would expect advertisers to adhere to RSPCA guidelines and if you have concerns about animal cruelty I would suggest you contact the RSPCA. As you point out, however, in this case, "All the rats used were sourced from a zoological supplier who provides pre-frozen animal food. None of the rats were killed for the making of this advert. The person who supplied the rats is a trained animal handler and is a founder member of the Animal Welfare Filming Federation."

We did not feel that this advertising was likely to be viewed as condoning or encouraging cruelty to animals and therefore will not be taking your complaint about this issue any further.

We are however already investigating complaints that is advertisement is offensive and distressing; I have therefore asked that the Investigations Executive send you a copy of the final adjudication once their investigation is complete.'

I think that they missed my point that NO ANIMAL should be USED in advertising in such a way as to be disrespectful. The subject matter itself didn't shock me or the need to send a hard-hitting message about counterfeit drugs. It would be acceptable to see that guy fall onto the floor and haemorrhage to death (although somewhat unrealistic in a 50 second advert, but then so is a rat coming out of your mouth). I didn't mention once anything about animal CRUELTY, this is irrelevant in this case.

But on the plus side, they are looking into complains that the advertisement is offensive and distressing to some people!

Silma

Post by Silma » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Hmm.. I got my letter too.. It read mostly the same but as far as they were concerned "the advert was unlikely to cause serious or widespread offence"

At least they aren't sending out a mass mailing. :roll:
Anna - who belongs to girlies - Andromache and Cassandra and the new wee ones - Kalliope, Derae, Krylla, Miriel and Karis. :girly:
Member of the EC (Explorer Club)

Jaynie99

Post by Jaynie99 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:28 pm

A few years ago there was an advert for tictacs/gum/mints & it was basically a scruffy, wet dog crawling out of a guys mouth & it was supposed to symbolise dog breath.. (im sure you could find it on youtube) & that was banned because it was scary/disturbing/horrible etc so I don't see why its any different to this ad..

I don't get why he has the rat coming out of his mouth - as if he had the rat living in his stomach & then swallowing an illegal tablet containing warfarin made the rat die & then he pulled it out :-? But that's just me being picky.

I wouldn't say I was offended by it but it wouldn't be something I would like to see when I've just paid 7 odd quid for a cinema ticket & just sat down with my bucket of pop corn :roll:
:dumbogirly: Bridget, Skipper, Fizzle, Itcy (Fatso) Bitcy (Notso) Nooby & Crunch :dumbogirly:
:rainbow: Dizzy, Pixie, Flake, Lucky, Dolly, Emili, Remi, Ellen, Leela, Rainy & Ruby :rainbow:
:love: Wherever I lay my Rat, that's my home :love:

Lloy-D2788

Post by Lloy-D2788 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:35 pm

I think I would have to agree that I don't find this advertisement offensive or disrespectful to rats, however the 'dog breath' advertisement didn't either so maybe its just me! If you compare the two though, Im sure few people felt that the advert was disrespectful to dogs nor was there any intenmtion to do so. In the same way I am sure this advert was not intentionally disrespectful to rats, especially not fancy rats. I think there is a clear difference between fancy rats and wild rats, the latter carrying disease and being a general health hazard to us. This to me is what this advert is trying to say... the pills are a health hazard just as much as wild rats are. A man dropping dead wouldn't have been nearly as hard hitting or poignant, this advert is out to shock and that is what it has done. I am unsure as to why this would cause anyone stress any more than watching programmes such as a life of grime which depict the capture or killing of wild rats, and this is shown before water shed hours. I don't see the ASA taking any action against it as no rules have been violated so I think your fighting a losing battle in all honesty and I study advertising at university so I'm not just chatting rubbish. Sorry!

These are just my thoughts and I encourage you all to express you opinions and stand for what you feel is right, or wrong in this case. I haven't intended to offend or quash peoples opinions, just presenting another side to the issue! :)
Lloyd x

Eximius Rats - 'Excellence is a fine pursuit'
North of England Rat Society - Promoting excellence in the care and breeding of fancy rats

hamgammon

Post by hamgammon » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:57 pm

I saw this when i went to the pictures and i wasn't shocked by the image but i was shocked by everyone elses reaction and i just heard people sitting around about me saying how they hate rats, Made me really sad... i wanted to stand up and correct them :( :cry:
Brrrrt! - The sound made when a raspberry is blown on a rat's tummy.
No! - A word not present in the vocabulary of rats, even when shouted.

Boon

Post by Boon » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:23 pm

i want to know what that drug is it changes rats gender!
Bam (Agouti Berkie) Watson (Black Masked) Holmes (Black Berkie) Mr T (Blazed Siamese) Bill Murray (Agouti Hooded) Chester (Champagne Berkie) Gonzo (Russian Blue) Bear (Burmese)
Missing those that are chewing up hammocks over the bridge.

KateHelen

Post by KateHelen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:43 pm

I seen this on a tv advert accually, on the real-life channel. It really made me cringe. Its sick to use a animal like that, its giving them a bad reputation of something to gag at. Its very offensive, especially to rat lovers such as most of you lot. :cry: They could have used something different to describe the poisioning, maybe a wrapper with rat posining on then he collapses after reading it or something... Im writing a complaint if it is not to late, the more the better. :angryrat:
Cheese :dumbogirly: And Crackers :dumbogirly: :love:

People think Rats are Vermin, Because they spread diseases, Destroy things, and Breed.
Dont call them vermin. We are exactly the same. We spread diseases. We destroy stuff. We breed.

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:21 pm

I have emailed the ad company
I am offended by this ad as it unnecessarily uses a rat in a negative way. Why not just have the man pull a box of rat poison out of his mouth. With the increase of fancy rat owners, this advert is a violation of mutual respect for other life forms. Please consider an alternative. This advert makes no sense and disgusts me - I don't care whether the rat was humanely killed, the ad is revolting and the use of a dead rat unneccessary.
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry: