Yes
13%
I'm a rescue and I neuter all routinely
No votes
I'm a rescue and I neuter male rescues routinely
1%
I'm a rescue and I neuter female rescues routinely
No votes
No - and I won't for the forseeable future. It's not worth the surgery risk.
17%
No - but I'm considering it
20%
No - I breed and need to know my lines
7%
I won't neuter rats at all
No votes
I would only neuter for existing conditions
41%

Total votes: 70

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Routine neutering survey

Post by Midnight Rose » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:52 pm

I know there have been topics on this before but I wondered what peoples views were.

If you could vote and maybe post to explain your vote that would be great.

I'm thinking of routinely neutering at least the males, it's such a quick nothing of an operation with my vet. With the females I'm still thinking of it, as it protects against mammary tumours and, obviously, pyo. I've never had an accidental litter, but it would prevent this and give health benefits.

ETA: Each of you have a maximum of 3 votes, so you can cover all bases if you breed, rescue and are a pet owner!
Valiance Rats - London based rattery breeding to extend average lifespan and improve health in the variety American dove and dove agouti.

North of England Rat Society - Pet Initiative

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Re: Routine neutering survey

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:51 am

I haven't voted, because I never like to say never ... but at the moment, no, I don't routinely neuter.

So many reasons! :lol:

In no particular order:

I have lost rats to surgeries involving neutering (one of them just a castration), so although the surgeries themselves are fairly quick and low risk on the whole, there is still a chance any individual rat won't make it.

I see a lot of heart failure in rescue rats here, potentially every rat who arrives here has an underlying heart weakness, GA's and heart problems don't mix well ... if surgery is elective, I'd rather avoid it.

I have had entire males and females reach a good age without developing the problems which neutering helps ... any individual rat won't necessarily gain anything from a routine neuter.

I've never seen a case of pyo ... so I'm not sure exactly how much risk there is of a female rat developing it.

I have seen uterine tumours (and weird stuff), but not many times really in the scheme of things.

I've only seen one case of a testicular tumour, so the risk of that in boys seems low ... castration does help to prevent kidney disease, but this can also be prevented and slowed down if care is taken with diet (throughout the rats life) and appropriate supplements are used.

To be most effective at preventing mammary tumours routine spaying should be done when the girl is very young ... I did have one girl spayed secondary to another procedure at the age of 16 weeks ... she didn't develop mammary tumours, but she quickly became morbidly obese (for a young girly I feel this is just unfair).

I have had great success with my current 'policy' of:
Aggressive boys will be castrated if/when they get testosteroney.
Castration secondary to a non-elective procedure will be considered if the need arises for a non-elective surgery.
Girls will be spayed at first lumpectomy whenever possible.
Spaying secondary to a non-elective procedure will be considered if the need arises for a non-elective surgery, but not at a very young age.

/thoughts
Vic - Rat Ritz Ringleader!
Contact - vic @ rathealth.co.uk
Rat Ritz - info & resident photos
Rat Health - The no-nonsense resource for rat health issues!

Kitkat

Post by Kitkat » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:01 am

I've not voted either, sorry, cos I'm somewhere between the options.

As a rescue I don't routinely neuter all the rats which come through here. However, I have no issue with elective neuters being undertaken on rats I home if they're suitably healthy and the adopter has access to an experienced vet. I will neuter any single males which arrive to make homing and intros easier and of course anyone who is aggressive or looks like they would benefit from the snip behaviour wise.

For my own rats I do tend to routinely neuter the boys. Not so much for a health reason since I've not had any boys with testicular cancer but just because I tend to find it makes them so much happier and calmer, plus it means they can mix easily. That said I didn't do this with my current two boys, Quest and Tim, as the whole reason I kept them is that they're a bit rubbish physically so it wouldn't seem right to put them through that. So each case is looked at individually.

I've never had a girl spayed oddly enough. My current vet is unconvinced that it helps prevent mammary tumours unless done at a very young age. I'd certainly consider it though if there was a likely benefit and the vet was willing. Most likely just as the time of lumpectomy rather than routinely though.

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:22 pm

If there were an option to say 'No - but I'm happy to if the need arises', then I'd vote. :D

For me, the need would either be problematical behaviour, or to enable a lone rescue to find a home. I don't have any worries about sending a healthy rat to be neutered, but I would never routinely neuter rats that I've bred, as I wouldn't know how the line was going in terms of any hormone related issues.

As my vets don't have experience of spaying, it would have to be a life or death situation for me to consider the first. If that went well, then I might opt for it in future if I had a girl with an early lump.
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Midnight Rose » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:50 pm

Cyber Ratty wrote:If there were an option to say 'No - but I'm happy to if the need arises', then I'd vote. :D

It's more a survey to see if people neuter rats routinely, like dogs for example. So every rat they have is neutered.

I've edited the poll, so please vote again if you already voted :D
Valiance Rats - London based rattery breeding to extend average lifespan and improve health in the variety American dove and dove agouti.

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:27 am

I has voted now! ... No - and I won't for the forseeable future. It's not worth the surgery risk. ... is closest I think for me.

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:29 am

Kitkat wrote: My current vet is unconvinced that it helps prevent mammary tumours unless done at a very young age.

Your Vet needs convincing otherwise :wink: ... I've had girls spayed to prevent mammary tumours as late as 21 months with very good results.

Kitkat

Post by Kitkat » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:20 am

I agree Vic. We're having a change of vets at our surgery actually so I'll have to sound out the new one. I think she'll be more open to suggestion as she's new :lol: Do you have a link to anything I can show her to help convince?

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:03 pm

Kitkat wrote:I agree Vic. We're having a change of vets at our surgery actually so I'll have to sound out the new one. I think she'll be more open to suggestion as she's new :lol: Do you have a link to anything I can show her to help convince?

You are welcome to my stats ... compare the rate of development of further mammary tumours between 'lumpectomy only' girls with girls who had a 'first lumpectomy+spay' ... not a scientific study, but it's the best I have so far, since there aren't any lab studies on spaying at an older age :lol:

http://www.rathealth.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ?f=9&t=500

Sorry MR, I have hijacked your poll :oops:

tabirat
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by tabirat » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:43 pm

I voted for the obviouse - no - I am a breeder and I need to know my lines... but actually I have a few points I would mention. I will have to come back though - I don't have time now... :lol:
Love Alison
"Laughter should be life's default setting."
http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk
http://www.neratsociety.co.uk

shellbell

Post by shellbell » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:04 pm

i voted no- only for an existing problem but iv never had any hormone problems or anything thankly and the vets in ireland are a bit behind when it comes to exotics, i know only 2 vets id be happy to have a consultation about neuturing my boys, both are a distance and expensive..

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Midnight Rose » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:51 am

Kitkat wrote:I agree Vic. We're having a change of vets at our surgery actually so I'll have to sound out the new one. I think she'll be more open to suggestion as she's new :lol: Do you have a link to anything I can show her to help convince?

Do you use villiage animal hospital? I just went in for a chat with them about Nessie, well, the OH did and he doesn't know which vet he saw :lol: They said that I was right saying it would prevent or slow anymore lumps and they lump removed and spayed her that day.

Ratgirl@RatRitz wrote:Sorry MR, I have hijacked your poll :oops:

Goodness me I don't mind, it's all relevant to the topic! I was going to put this in health, because I wanted all the opinions and thoughts, then I thought a poll would be easiest to see what the consus was.

Oh, you all have a maximum of three votes (so you can pick 'I breed' and 'I would neuter for an exisitng' and 'I rescue and would neuter males routinely' for example)

laa

Post by laa » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:13 pm

i dont think i would neuter routinely as i've had experience for a young, very healthy buck dying post surgery due to a complication...i'd rather not risk surgery unless it is definately needed. unfortunately its been definately needed for most of my boys...little hormonal wotsits!

so i voted no - only for existing conditions.
:hearts: Monster, Monkey, Jareth & Ludo :hearts:
:rainbow: Loki, Shake, Dahl, 'Olly', Vac, Bishop, Shakespeare, Burton, Gomaz, Harley, Greebo, Cobway, Ichabod, Marmite, Moran, Iago, Carlos, Oliver, George, Squishee, Sable, Bailey :rainbow:

Betterstar

Post by Betterstar » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:16 pm

I voted "No - and I won't for the forseeable future. It's not worth the surgery risk." but could have also voted"no - only for existing conditions" I won't neuter routinely not just because of the surgery risk, but also because ethically I don't think I'd feel right having healthy, happy boys neutered.

Having said that we're currently considering having two more of our boys "done". They're healthy, they don't have behaviour problems and they're not aggressive towards anyone but they are obviously hormonal I don't think they're enjoying life as much as they could be. With these cases I think I'd much rather neuter them while they're young and healthy than wait and hope for their hormones to die down when they're older and potentially less neuterable.

So no, we won't neuter routinely but the option is always very much there.
Sian & Boojum, Minnow, Poot, Esme, Oak, Burdock, Ptarmigan, Blunder and Jacques.
Missing Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs.

Giz

Post by Giz » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:08 pm

I neuter my girls because of the health benefits involved.
We did have an accidental litter and when it came time for neutering I asked my vet what she reckoned I should do, neuter everyone (6 boys & 2 girls) or only neuter one sex.
She said that there was no health benefits to neutering the boys. It was only really required if aggression was an issue. She said males seem to have less health issues in general. The girls on the other hand she said benefited from the op and so it would make more sense to get them done.
In fairness to her-she would have made much more money saying I should get all 8 done, but thankfully she was very straight up about it all and said not to worry about the boys.. Which was a relief for me at the time, as my savings would have taken a massive knock had they all needed doing!
Currently owned by; MooMoo, Monster, Badger and Dewey
And gone but not forgotten; Pixie, Hammo, Lakitu, Kamek, Hiro, Merry, Legolas, ChimChim, Koopa, Pippin, Wonky, Faerie, Mih-Ko, BooBoo, Sniffe, Chim Chim and Peepee :hearts: