Yes
13%
I'm a rescue and I neuter all routinely
No votes
I'm a rescue and I neuter male rescues routinely
1%
I'm a rescue and I neuter female rescues routinely
No votes
No - and I won't for the forseeable future. It's not worth the surgery risk.
17%
No - but I'm considering it
20%
No - I breed and need to know my lines
7%
I won't neuter rats at all
No votes
I would only neuter for existing conditions
41%

Total votes: 70

izimcflizz

Re: Routine neutering survey

Post by izimcflizz » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:18 pm

I have had my first girl neutered and have decided now to have any girl neutered if they have lumps at less than 18 months of age as they are at high risk of getting more and more.
I would have a boy in here only of he was allready neutered, I wouldnt neuter him just to join my girls, unless he needed it for agression
Gogglebox mischief JD Lucy Dali Emma Russell Gandalf Merlin Queenie Sparrow Nova
:rainbow: Theo Puddle-Duck Boomer Adam Bella Hetty Pepper Little-Dorrit Ginger Horus Maia Boo Cleo Kirra Freya Faith River Treacle Honey Star Geordie Pudding Willow

tagalong

Post by tagalong » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:19 pm

Yes -because I believe the bucks enjoy happier lives without hormonal stresses which in turn can trigger illness-you only have to read the number of posts about male aggression between former cage mates to realise this is true -also allows them to live with does.
As someone who takes in rescues from all backgrounds it also allows me to help out more rats.
Does I do not spey I feel it is invasive op for a small animal and not many vets like to perform it -the risks of post op complications are much greater than in a buck.
My boys: Sooty ,Sweep, Cookie, Muffin ,Fugles
My girls: Roxy,Millie,Isabel ,Polly
and all my little ones past and present

CovetKaty

Post by CovetKaty » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:22 pm

Having spoken to my new vet today I have to say that I'd now consider getting males and having them neutered to go in with my two. I wasn't considering males at all at first but now hearing they're tempraments are a lot more laid back and that the "Smell" everyone goes on about really isn't that bad (jeebus my girls honk sometimes but I put up with it) so I would consider castrated males now.

So yeah, No but considering it :)
Run free at the bridge my two beautiful girls.
Maisy and Lola.

nikki123

Post by nikki123 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:55 pm

I would only neutered if they need to be done i.e aggression. I would also consider spaying if i was having lump removed on a doe.
Nikki x
Girls Poppy Peggy Kitty Mouse Ceres Hattie Savannah Elena Eve Daisy Rosie Paige Saffy Charlotte Delia Isis Blossom Petal Rio Riley

Boys Zippy Lucas Gobo Boots Harley Jack Ash Baldrick Flynn Maximus

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:58 am

I wouldn't ever routinely neuter without a good health or temprement reason. To me if a rat is happy and healthy as it is then there's no point putting it through surgery and potentially adding in problems. I've not yet had any serious hormonal issues with any bucks i've had and have had several very settled happy groups so feel routinely castrating bucks would be unfair to them, especially if that rat came from a breeder. However if some sort of temprement or health issue came up i would deffinitley consider it. Castrations in other animals seem very quick and straight forward. There is still an anesthetic risk but it is far less invasive than most ops done. I understand it's a bit more complicated in rats but still quite a doable.

As for spaying girls, i can't say i like it, as much as it can be neccesary, i had a rabbit spayed once and watched an awful lot of cats getting spayed whilst doing my work experience many years ago, it is a very invasive and painful op for those animals and does seem to be for rats too. This being the case there would have to be a significant health risk for me to consider spaying. Something like Pyo, where the rat could get very sick or potentially die from the illness for me to consider spaying and i would be very unlikley to get a rat spayed at the same time as a relatively minor lumpectomy. If a rat came from a line where lumps were popping up all over the place or she'd had a couple removed before and was otherwise healthy i would consider it
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

tabirat
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by tabirat » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:59 am

tabirat wrote:I voted for the obviouse - no - I am a breeder and I need to know my lines... but actually I have a few points I would mention. I will have to come back though - I don't have time now... :lol:

Well finally... 7 months later... :lol:

I do resuce and would routinely neuter any male who arrived here on his own. I would also neuter quickly any male who needed to be separated out of his group (for bullying, aggression etc). Finally I would home male kittens to a home who wanted to routinely neuter so long as I had full confidence in their vet. I have also recently agreed to a local owner routinely spaying her rats from me (2 rescues and one of mine) so long as she uses my vet. This person has a long history of owning females and sees spaying as a preventitive measure for female illnesses in later life (both uterine and mammary).

So far I have been asked to agree to routine neutering of my kittens so infrequently that I have not had a problem with it. I do wonder how this might change if routine neutering became more common place. As a breeder neutering removes rats form the information pool, becuase potentially it changes outcome (both in terms of illness and temperament).
Love Alison
"Laughter should be life's default setting."
http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk
http://www.neratsociety.co.uk

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:17 am

Ummm I don't know which one applies to me.
I'm not a rescue but do take on rescue rats. At the moment I have 5 rescues: 3 girls and 2 boys. I castrate the boys as I think the risk is quite low with a good vet and the benefit of living with me and having friends I think outweighs it.
I also think the mix of girls and castrated boys makes a calmer cage.

I don't know whether I would routinly spay girls as its quite invasive.
I am tempted to routinely castrate boys though as I think it makes not only them but also the girls calmer.
I would like some boys from a breeder but I'm afraid of asking in case they have a go due to the castration thing. I'm a chicken really and don't want to upset the apple cart.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

Duracell

Post by Duracell » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:18 am

I would like to routinly neuter all the males that come through rescue (health and age being ok) but the funds are not all ways available for this and so I only do this if tempriment is a problem.

I am not convinced for females. I see the health benefits as being greater but on the other hand the risks are higher too. I am undecided and would like more evidence.

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:57 pm

All my boys see the hairy plum fairy. Partly because they are all rescues and in most cases come in as lone boys often with aggression issues, so the question doesn't really arise - gaining friends means losing testicles. But I've also had the odd kitten or non-aggressive boy done once they reach an appropriate age because having a central core of neutered squishiness makes mixing the new boys in much much easier and quicker. Which means they get friends quicker, and when you're dealing with lone rescue lads who are often already showing signs of psychological problems due to isolation, I think the quality of life increase from getting company asap by far outweighs the risk of surgery (I have only lost one boy under anaesthetic out of 15 - and that was before my current super brilliant vet turned up, and I've never had a serious post-op complication).

I also have a hunch that neutering is having a positive effect on both life-span (my average boy life span is a good few months higher than my average girl lifespan, despite the fact that environmental factors would tip it the other way), and on length of healthy life - I've never had a case of kidney disease, I very rarely get HLD, and they genreally pootle in a highly energetic manner well into old age before fading suddenly with whatever the terminal problem is. I have had a couple of mammary tumours, which I guess might be an increased risk of neutering, but both of them have been onset very late in life, have been very slow growing, not required surgical intervention, and in the only case where the boy is dead, something else (chest problems) got him before the tumour did.

I have no experience of neutering girls - so on that one, since it's a much more invasive op, I'd probably stick with only if there was a medical / behvaioural issue.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat: