Spaying data

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Spaying data

Post by Midnight Rose » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:00 pm

Could you please reply here with your data or email me your data on does that have been spayed, only does that have already died.

Use the email button under my avatar please.

I would like to know -

the origins of the rats (breeder, rescue, accidental litter etc if rescue can you give me as much detail as possible)
what age they were spayed at
why they were spayed
did the surgery solve the problem?
if they had lumps before the spay and if they got any after the spay
if they died in surgery
what health problems they suffered in their life
any behavioural problems they suffered in their life
what age they died at and what from (if they did not die in surgery)
anything else you can think of!

Please also include data of rats that were not spayed.
the origins of the rats (breeder, rescue, accidental litter etc if rescue can you give me as much detail as possible)
what health problems they suffered in their life
any behavioural problems they suffered in their life
what age they died at and what from

Thanks, I will keep this open and running and gather data over several years.
Valiance Rats - London based rattery breeding to extend average lifespan and improve health in the variety American dove and dove agouti.

North of England Rat Society - Pet Initiative

aquajen9

Re: Spaying data

Post by aquajen9 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:06 pm

the origins of the rats: Bred by a friend
what age they were spayed at: 6 months
why they were spayed: Emergency C-section.
did the surgery solve the problem: .. Yes...
if they had lumps before the spay and if they got any after the spay: 5 lumps, 2 lots removed.
if they died in surgery: No
what health problems they suffered in their life: Lumps
any behavioural problems they suffered in their life: None
what age they died at and what from: Approximate 2-21/2 years. Put to sleep due to Lump ulceration. Last 2 lumps not removed and grew too large.
anything else you can think of:

the origins of the rats: Bred by a friend
what age they were spayed at: 8 months
why they were spayed: Pyo
did the surgery solve the problem: Yes
if they had lumps before the spay and if they got any after the spay: No
what health problems they suffered in their life: Respiratory, Mastitis, HLD, and others.
what age they died at and what from: 3 1/2. PTS.

the origins of the rats: Pet shop
what age they were spayed at: 1 year?
why they were spayed: Aggression to other rats
did the surgery solve the problem: No
if they had lumps before the spay and if they got any after the spay: Lump post spay
what health problems they suffered in their life: Lump
any behavioural problems they suffered in their life: Aggression to rats
what age they died at and what from: 15 months, unknown cause
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

rattiechick222

Post by rattiechick222 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:57 pm

the origins of the rats (breeder, rescue, accidental litter etc if rescue can you give me as much detail as possible) Friend bought a pregnant female from pet shop. I took on 3 of these girls.

what age they were spayed at Sophie at 11 months, Ellie at 12 months, Angelica at 23 months

why they were spayed Sophie during a lump removal, vet suggested the spay and I decided to go ahead with it. Ellie had some sort of tumour and vet was forced to spay. Angelica again during lump removals.

did the surgery solve the problem? With Sophie no, she devloped 2 more tumours. Those were removed in the same op, no more after (but passed on not long after the removal)... yes for Ellie.... not for Angelica

if they had lumps before the spay and if they got any after the spay Angelica and Sophie did... Sophie developed 2 more that were removed. Angelica developed 1 but lived her life out with the lump & no problems....

if they died in surgery [b]No but the vet said they almost lost Ellie and just 'brought her out in time'

what health problems they suffered in their life Ellie had a stroke earlier on in life. After the spay Sophie had a respiratory that left her lungs damaged, and would flare up. Angelica nothing, just these lumps and bumps

any behavioural problems they suffered in their life None obvious

what age they died at and what from (if they did not die in surgery) Sophie died at 15 months from a Respiratory, Angelica at 2 years 7 months I believe old age, Ellie died from a PT at 16 months.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:14 am

Replying re other health stuff you might not know.

the origins of the rats: Breeder
what age they were spayed at: 15 and a half months
why they were spayed: Intermittent (hourlyscale) and clear vaginal bloodflow. Looked to be in substantial pain (biting, not returning affections from myself nor cagemates, figetting, hiding in corners, squashing belly on floor, the 'not good' bruxing) and slightly swollen. Later on and the next morning was very subdued. I took her in for an emergency spay as didn't want to faff about and hope ABs would work on their own - vet agreed.
did the surgery solve the problem? n/a
if they had lumps before the spay: No
if they died in surgery: Yes :cry: She stopped breathing (after uterus had been removed) and couldn't be revived. Her left uterine horn was completely stuffed with tumours, and the bleeding was from one which had pushed through her cervix and then ruptured/ the tissues around it. She was out on noticeably less anaesthetic than she should have been for her weight, even accounting for the tumours. It is thus highly likely that they had spread to her lungs/ other places. I didn't ask for a PM to confirm this.
what health problems they suffered in their life:
Inner ear infection aged 6 months and devloped head tilt; gradual but definate improvement of that post-treatment up until death.
Affected by resp. virus aged 8/9 months which most of the other rats suffered from. I wasn't particuarly worried for her, and she responded to treatment fine.
any behavioural problems they suffered in their life:
Very slow given her origins to completely settle down and become comfortable with new home, thus more neophobic than expected and wary in new places/ of new people. Improved massively and was never an issue again (completely the opposite!) after going back to live with breeder for a bit [unrelated circumstances].
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:52 pm

the origins of the rat: rescue from Felix
what age they were spayed at: her age was guessed at about a year when I got her and she was spayed shortly after
why they were spayed: she had a lump suddenly appear next to her lady bits and I decided to ask for a spay at the same time as the lumpectomy
did the surgery solve the problem?: she was lump free for around 6 months, then had one under her arm that stayed very small for a further 6 months
if they had lumps before the spay and if they got any after the spay: yes see above
if they died in surgery: no
what health problems they suffered in their life: she was generally a very healthy girl, towards the end she got a little respy and her kidneys weren't good, HLD
any behavioural problems they suffered in their life: abit food obsessed but apart from that she had a lovely temperament
what age they died at and what from (if they did not die in surgery): 2 years and afew months? Lump eventually started increasing in size considerably, was getting dragged along floor as her back legs weren't working much, kidneys failing, and her health deteriorated to the extent that pts was felt the only option
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser
:rainbow: All those gone before, forever remembered :hearts:

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:04 pm

the origins of the rats (breeder, rescue, accidental litter etc if rescue can you give me as much detail as possible) - Rescue. I think the original owner got her from a pet shop as a freind for a castrated male
what age they were spayed at - 2 years
why they were spayed - severe agression towards humans and any rats who had the misfortune to share a cage with her
did the surgery solve the problem? Yes, more or less. Still a horrendous biter
if they had lumps before the spay and if they got any after the spay - None
if they died in surgery - no
what health problems they suffered in their life - Respiratory issues
any behavioural problems they suffered in their life - Agression as above
what age they died at and what from (if they did not die in surgery) - 2.5 years, just old age I think
anything else you can think of! I know the signs now and will spay every time I see them. I currently have another does currently being bonded with my group. Before surgery this would not have been possible, I tried on 2 occasions which resulted in a blood bath.

the origins of the rats (breeder, rescue, accidental litter etc if rescue can you give me as much detail as possible) Beth - Rescue but I suspect she was a pet shop rat
what health problems they suffered in their life - Respiratory issues, benign lumps
any behavioural problems they suffered in their life - Beth was petirfied when I got her and was a biter. I did not consider spaying as she was lovely with other rats and often the peacemaker in intros
what age they died at and what from - PTS at about 2 years due to generally having nothing left in her. Skinny, respy and back legs had gone.

the origins of the rats (breeder, rescue, accidental litter etc if rescue can you give me as much detail as possible) Dora - Rescue. Hayleystar was given her by the police after finding her and onother of my does Josephine in an empty house after going to arrest someone
what health problems they suffered in their life - 1 lump which was removed
any behavioural problems they suffered in their life - None. Dora was the perfect rat but was a little twitchy with newbies
what age they died at and what from - Approximately 2 years, she died one morning in bed with us. We think her tumour must have been malignant and rapidly spread to her brain.

the origins of the rats (breeder, rescue, accidental litter etc if rescue can you give me as much detail as possible) Mel - Rescue. Again probably from a pet shop
what health problems they suffered in their life - 1 lump which was removed
any behavioural problems they suffered in their life - Mel was very aggressive with peopl ewhen we first got her (with Beth). These 2 are the reason I fell for taking rats with behaviour issues. With lots of treats and handling she came round
what age they died at and what from - Approximately 18 months. Shortly after surgery we think she had a heart attack. It was very unexpected.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:46 pm

Please also include data of rats that were not spayed

The origins of the rats: Rescue
what health problems they suffered in their life: Lumps (one was removed but another 3 developed)
any behavioural problems they suffered in their life: Aggression which decreased with age
what age they died at and what from: Was PTS at 15 months due to lumps

the origins of the rats: Rescue
what health problems they suffered in their life: Lumps
any behavioural problems they suffered in their life: none
what age they died at and what from: PTS at 20ish months due to an inoperable lump

the origins of the rats: P@H
what health problems they suffered in their life: Respiratory issues
what age they died at and what from: PTS at 28 months due to lump
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:34 pm

The origins of the rats (breeder, rescue, accidental litter etc if rescue can you give me as much detail as possible)
- Breeder - (Beltane Rats - no longer breeding)

What age they were spayed at - 1 year. I noticed a small mammary lump on her first birthday.

Why they were spayed- Having lost several rats to multiple lumps I decided that I'd go for a spay at the same time as a lumpectomy to try and prevent any more lumps especially as she was young and healthy. Deciding whether or not to operate on lumpy rats in old age is horrible especially as so many past ratties have had respy problems as well as they got older.

Did the surgery solve the problem? - Yes

If they had lumps before the spay and if they got any after the spay: - She was spayed at the same time as her first lumpectomy. She never had any more lumps post-spay.

If they died in surgery - No

What health problems they suffered in their life - Some mild respiratory problems as she got older (over 2 years) - absolutely nothing else.

Any behavioural problems they suffered in their life - None - she was always more like a buck than a doe - lazy and loved food! Always gentle but not particularly a people-seeking rat. She was a bit of a loner amongst her group and was always the lowest ranking rat group-wise. Intro's were easy with her - she accepted any rat I intro'd to her with no problems even when I intro'd a foster doe who came back for her retirement when she was just over 2 years old.

What age they died at and what from (if they did not die in surgery) - She was about 30 months old. She just slowed right down at the end and we found her in her forever sleep one morning with no obvious cause of death.
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

daffee

Post by daffee » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:23 pm

the origins of the rats born in rescue
what age they were spayed at 19 months
why they were spayed pyo and part of her uterus had collapsed in on itself causing her extreme pain and risk of haemorrhaging
did the surgery solve the problem? yes but the surgery was long and she took a long time to recover
if they had lumps before the spay and if they got any after the spay 1 lumpectomy prior to the spay. 1 lump removed at same time as spay. 1 lump removed 3 months after the spay.
if they died in surgery no
what health problems they suffered in their life some mites and an abscess
any behavioural problems they suffered in their life no
what age they died at and what from (if they did not die in surgery) 24 months. PTS due to severe respiratory distress

the origins of the rats born in rescue
what age they were spayed at 26 months
why they were spayed pyo and a mass on one ovary
did the surgery solve the problem? yes
if they had lumps before the spay and if they got any after the spay had had 2 lumpectomies prior. Had 3 lumps when she went for her spay which we left be and they pretty much stopped growing afterwards with no more appearing
if they died in surgery no
what health problems they suffered in their life an abscess and several strokes later in life
any behavioural problems they suffered in their life none
what age they died at and what from (if they did not die in surgery) 29 months, stroke
anything else you can think of sister to the rat above
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez