Survey on anyone who has owned hairless - please contribute!

ratoonratz

Survey on anyone who has owned hairless - please contribute!

Post by ratoonratz » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:40 am

Probably quite a few of you have heard about me possibly looking at breeding hairless at some point - because I want to do it properly and give them the best possible chance as a variety - with one exception that I know of, nobody else I know is breeding them responsibly and the rest are bred by petshops/and so it seems irresponsible breeders. I have kept hairless for a few years and spent some time just watching how they cope/what problems they have had etc. I have kept up until now 9. I still have 7 of these. I was just wondering if you could contribute to the questions below so I can gather some information for each of the hairless you own.

Male/Female:
Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!):
Date of death (if applicable!):
Source:
(eg petshop/breeder. Not sparking off a petshop debate just intersted if you got them directly from someone who breeds them or a petshop)
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe:
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc:
Eye colour:
Health issues:
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree):
Cause of death (if applicable and if known):

Thanks for your time guys - looking forward to reading this :)
Lizzi and the Rats at Ratoon Stud - Breeding for russian blue agouti essex and russian siamese
*Love all my ratties more than life itself :hearts:*
~Galaxy~ forever in my heart and dreams - part of me went with you - until we meet again xxx

lynnb

Re: Survey on anyone who has owned hairless - please contribute!

Post by lynnb » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:54 pm

Male.
Date of birth: Approx 11 months ?
Date of death: Not applicable
Source: Rescue, he was dumped with a large no of rats by a feeder breeder.
Do they have any excess hair on face/body: He has a few sparse fine hairs on his body that are barely noticable.
Describe whiskers: Short tight curls
Eye colour: Pink
Health issues: None so far.
Any disadvantages you have noticed: None.

:D
Lynn - http://serenityrats.webs.com/
The boys and girls who live in Serenity.
Always loved and remembered - Dave, Chaz, Dec, Robin, Tone, Squeak, Corby, Freddy, Mark, Alfie, Zak, Kaiser, Dylan, Baxter, Jack, Harry H, Ash, Albert and Layla.

ratoonratz

Post by ratoonratz » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:51 pm

Thanku hun ! I was beggining to think no one was gunna say anything :lol:
Lizzi and the Rats at Ratoon Stud - Breeding for russian blue agouti essex and russian siamese
~Galaxy~ forever in my heart and dreams - part of me went with you - until we meet again xxx

Discordant_Symphony

Post by Discordant_Symphony » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:09 pm

Male/Female: Male
Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!): september 08
Date of death (if applicable!): wabi: july 09 sabi: still living
Source: breeder
(eg petshop/breeder. Not sparking off a petshop debate just intersted if you got them directly from someone who breeds them or a petshop)
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe: small amount of fuzz on muzzle and guard hairs on body
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc: about medium tight
Eye colour: ruby
Health issues: wabi died of a brain tumour, sabi has had a rash but was treated with a cream
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree): none they are just as lovely and cuddly has any other rat
Cause of death (if applicable and if known): brain tumour

KateR

Post by KateR » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:23 pm

Male/Female: female
Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!): 20th July 2009
Date of death (if applicable!): NA
Source: rescued from a feeder breeder
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe: yes, fuzz on her head and very sparse fuzz elsewhere
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc: fairly tight curls
Eye colour: red
Health issues: a few scratches, tend to heal very quickly. Smallest of all our rats. Has had a problem with one of her eyes, possibly infected, celared with chloramphenicol ointment.
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree): NA
Cause of death (if applicable and if known): NA
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

blue92

Post by blue92 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:31 pm

Male/Female: male
Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!):8/7/09
Date of death (if applicable!): not applicable
Source: breeder. jen. last name unknown
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe: he has some fuzz on his bum and a little on his face.
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc: tight curls
Health issues: none yet
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree): not really a dissadvantage, they he eats a lot more than all my furred boys do. and hes quite small. hes not tiny by any means but hes never gonna be a big lad.
Cause of death (if applicable and if known): not applicable.

Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!): 8/7/09
Date of death (if applicable!): not applicable
Source: breeder, jen.
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe: none at all. hes totally hairless.
Eye colour: black
Health issues: none at all.
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree): he gets cold quickly if i have the window open. he eats loads. and again like his brother hes never going to be a big lad.
Cause of death (if applicable and if known):not applicable.

i have another hairless boy but hes just the same as the boy above just dumbo instead of top ear.

Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!):unknown, ive had her since feb 2009 and she was about 9 weeksish
Date of death (if applicable!):not applicable
Source: rescue. was dumped on chester train station platform in a cardbored box with 41 other rats.
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe: she has face fuzz. shes sort of a DR. she grows some hair and then it all falls out. but she only had hair once a month. so shes hairless 3/4 of the time.
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc:tight curls
Eye colour:ruby
Health issues:none at all.
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree): shes small. and she was pregnant when i got her. so with that and maybe her genes shes never put a lot of weight on or gown a huge amount.
Cause of death (if applicable and if known):not applicable.
:rainbow: I'll never forget

ami_j

Post by ami_j » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:11 pm

Milo
Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!): 2nd october 08
Date of death (if applicable!):around the 2/2/09
Source:breeder
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe: fuzz on the face
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc: mixture of tight and wavy
Health issues:none apparentl
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree): tend to get scratched more than haireds
Cause of death (if applicable and if known):found floppy had a several fits in my hands and passed away

Leo
Male/Female:male
Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!):2nd oct 08
Date of death (if applicable!):n/a
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe:fuzzy face
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc: mix
Health issues:none
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree):
Cause of death (if applicable and if known):

addiotional notes on Leo- horribly dominant...was castrated many months ago and intro'ed to girls but has still caused them injurys and will be ok one minute them "flip" out.. too unstable to trust

Venus
Male/Female:female
Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!):9th december
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe:light fuzz all over
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc:curly
Health issues:none
Cause of death (if applicable and if known):n/a

additional notes on Venus
she is also a bossy little madam but not to an extent where she is causing horrible injurys like leo does..also is very small though she eats well

Gizmo
Male/Female:male
Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!):9 december
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe:
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc:
Health issues: has been known to show slight irritation in his right eye this went though with a wipe
Cause of death (if applicable and if known):none

more info on the survey
gizmo and venus are brother and sister...the third member of their litter was a hermaphrodite who stayed with the breeder.
leo and milo were brothers...due to their similarities it was very hard to tell them about , after such a short space of time but im 99% sure it was milo who passed away due to him being slightly less orange with buck grease. he was grumpy with his cage mates so i wonder if it was actually leo who died.
gizmo shows no aggression to the other males , expect when re introed to leo he reacted fiercely so was removed.

hth
My Ratty Girlies: Lola,Eden,Jinx,Rogue + Rave
Trouble,Harley,Quinn,Taz,Ninja,Dylan,Gonzo,Felix,Asbo,Percy,Wade + Atari
RIP Siouxie,Lily, Muse and Joker and the Rest at Rainbow Bridge
Member of the Explorer Club :)

Ainita

Post by Ainita » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:08 pm

Female: Faith
Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!):I don't know... I think Faith is 5 month old
Source: In Expoterraria, from a shop and breeder from Holland
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe: she has some fuzz on her bum and a little on her face
Eye colour: black
Health issues:
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree): When Faith arrived at home, had dry skin.

I need to practice my english, sorry
If you want I can show you any pic from Faith

ratoonratz

Post by ratoonratz » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:48 pm

Really appreciate all your contributions! Thankyou and please keep them comming :)

I would love to see pictures if you have them aswell, thanks Ainita - everyone loves a pic of ratty loveliness :hearts:

mupsy

Post by mupsy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:59 pm

Mogwai

Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!): august 09

Source: Horrible grotty little pet shop
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe: None at all.. maybe feet are a little hairy
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc: completely messed up
Health issues: none at all
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree): Behaviour is awful, she acts like a wild rat even with handling.. but doesnt bite
Essex Guinea Pig Rat and Rabbit Rescue.
Based in essex, aiming to rehabilitate and rehome all small furries in need.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:07 pm

I only have one hairless left right now, I'll fill it in for him!

Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!): december 2007
Source: rescue from RSPCA, dumped on a doorstep with his brothers.
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe: when he was a baby, he was quite fuzzy. Now, he has a tiny bit of light hair on his forelegs and has tightly curled whiskers, but is otherwise completely bald
Eye colour: very dark ruby
Health issues: Lenny had a lump removed when he was about 2. It was thought to be a fibrocarcinoma, and has yet to re-occur. He also had his tail amputated, twice, but this was because he caught it in something and degloved it, not because of a genetic/inherited condition.
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree): most of the hairless I've owned have had some degree of eye problems, like weepy eyes or chronic infections. Only one never had eye issues. Some of my hairless seem to have had immune system problems, in that that couldn't heal from things other rats would be able to. This isn't all hairless, but most of the ones I've owned had issues with operations and absecesses and healing afterwards. Other than that, not noticed a trend in any health issues. My rats all live outside in a shed, and the hairless seemed not to have any issues with cold either.
Cause of death (if applicable and if known): Lenny is still going, he'll be 3 in december, making him the oldest rat I've ever owned, and I've owned over 60!
My past hairless died of the following:
Carl - Lenny's brother. had chronic skin problems from a very young age, which never responded to any treatment and seemed to get worse. He was generally a very poorly rat and wasn't robust at all. He died at home, after just suddenly becoming weak and cold. Unknown cause, other than just generally being a weak lad :(

All my hairless have been rescues.

Frasier - also lenny's brother. Had an abscess, run of the mill I thought, but died a few days after noticing it. Suspect due to poor immune system, which seems to be a re-occuring thing in the hairless I've owned.

Giblet - had to have an eye removed due to constant ulceration, and died less than a weak after the op after seeming unable to heal. Again, related to poor immune system I think. He got infection very quickly, despite antibiotics and clean environment, and it was too much for him. He was always very tiny and never got to a decent size, so possible heart problems.

Ace - Giblet's brother. Chronic respiratory from a young age, worsened, thought at one point to be heart related, tried on heart meds, continued to worsen, put to sleep.

Most of my hairless haven't had long pife spans. None, other than Lenny, reached their second birthday. Some didn't reach their first. Except Lenny, who has been through 3 ops and come through each with flying colours, and is soon to be 3 years old. He's an ambassador for hairless rats and how they can have long life spans!

Marianimal

Post by Marianimal » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:25 pm

Male/Female: Piggy - Male
Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!): Approx. Dec. 2008
Date of death (if applicable!): N/A
Source: Rescue.
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe: Bum fluff on face, chest and front legs, very sparse hair on body.
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc: Curly.
Eye colour: Ruby
Health issues: Piggy most likely has brain damage of some kind (poss. hydrocephalus); he has pin prick pupils, fine motor skills impairment - he'll just fall over when grooming and runs into things. His hearing is also poor and he finds it hard interacting with other rats. He's also prone to "daydreaming".
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree): Get scratched easier, but they do heal very quickly.
Cause of death (if applicable and if known): N/A

- I think Piggy is a one-of-a-kind rat. He's prone to bad moods where he will try and bite me. I wouldn't trust him with any other rats simply because he doesn't understand how to behave. He's also really large - 600g! He's the biggest rat I have.

Male/Female: Noodles - Male
Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!): Approx. Dec. 2008
Date of death (if applicable!): N/A
Source: Rescue.
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe: Bum fluff on face and a few hairs on body.
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc: Curly.
Eye colour: Black.
Health issues: Possible undescended testicles - he doesn't have "balls", more of a smooth bump!
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree): Shows scratches and scars more.
Cause of death (if applicable and if known): N/A

Noodles is a total sweetheart. He's very very active and healthy. Currently weighs 480g.
FP Girls, Oldies, Pink Wrinklies and Wrinkle Men II.
Sleep tight everyone else.

velvet_nothing

Post by velvet_nothing » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:02 pm

Oggy:
Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!): December 2006
Date of death (if applicable!): June 2009
Source: RSPCA rescue rat
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe: Bum-fluff on face
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc: Tight curls
Eye colour: Black
Health issues: Very healthy and robust in the main, but developed a nasty abscess on his neck which I think spread to/infected one of his teeth. The abscess took a long time to heal and atfer it had healed the first time, reappeared just above where it had been originally, so I think some infection had remained inside.
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree): None, really.
Cause of death (if applicable and if known): Oggy developed a lump on his face, just under his left ear at about 28 months. I treated it as an abscess, but worried it may have been a tumour. It didn't come to head like an abscess and I found pus coming from his ear one day, so I decided to try to have it removed. It turned out it *was* an abscess, possibly linked to the previous one and suspected tooth infection, but sadly he didn't come around well from the anaesthetic and died the next morning. Very sad, as for a 30-month-old rat he was otherwise doing very well.

Eggnog:
Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!): December 2006
Date of death (if applicable!): November 2008
Source: RSPCA rescue rat
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe: Bum-fluff on face
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc: Tight curls
Health issues: As a youngster, another rat bit him badly in the testicles and he had to have one sewn up :oops: The procedure went fine and he recovered normally. When he was about 19 months old he developed a strange lump, probably a cyst, on his side. It didn't seem to bother him at all and it was agreed with vets to just keep an eye on it. It got a little red ocassionally, but didn't grow or seem to cause him any pain.
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree): None, really.
Cause of death (if applicable and if known): At about 23 months I found a lump growing pretty much on his shoulder blade. Within days of this he lost huge amounts of weight and became generally very ill. He didn't respond to antibiotics (and maybe steroids, I can't remember), and about a week after I found the lump I had to have him PTS as he was really unwell and struggling with breathing at times in the last day :(

Both boys were (probably) siblings of the first 3 rats in Ziggy's post if that's any help - they were from the same rescue.

Ratty_Kat

Post by Ratty_Kat » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:43 pm

Not much I can offer as I only had my Nanna for 6 months or so :cry:

Male/Female: Female
Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!): Rescued and was told she was over a year old.
Date of death (if applicable!):a month or so ago (unsure exactly without checking)
Source: Pet Shop rescue
Do they have any excess hair on face/body?- Very sparse fuzz on body with a few odd longish hairs on back. Denser fuzz on nose and around eyes.
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc: Tight curls - and very few whiskers - this may have been due to care and not genetics.
Eye colour: Red
Health issues: Almost completely blind.
Any disadvantages you have noticed: Severe scarring from pet shop and easily wounded (scratches, bites), quick to bite when i first had her (left me with a few scars of my own but fine in the end :wink: ). She was never completely trusting - I think that this was probably due to her background, but who knows?
Cause of death (if applicable and if known): Severe weight loss almost overnight and died very suddenly. Unknown cause :cry:

Hope this helps :love:
HKM Pan, HKM Willow, HKM Inka, HKM Suki & HKM Poppy
Gone But Not Forgotten: :halo: : Angel, Holly, Rosie, Pippa, Hazel, Heather, Emmy, Saffy, Remy, Badger, Nanna, Bailey, Bambi, Oscar, Clover, Lily, Rose, Nimh, Skye, Pasta, Daisy & Molly

petrify

Post by petrify » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:16 pm

LITTLE GUY
Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!): 28th April, 2008, at roughly 7:30am :)
Date of death (if applicable!): n/a
Source: erm, his mums tum :) who was from a BYB (not that I knew then....)
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe: A little on his head. He'd be a black hooded if he had fur, but he has enogh fuzz to distinguish this.
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc: Curly, but kinda messy
Health issues: Had an abcess once
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree): He's TOO cuddly! Genuinely think that he likes skin on sin contact as suposed to fur on fur contact--not really a disadvantage. Just makes him realy clingy, like a baby...
He lives with fur boys (his brothers) but when they play fight, im not sure they realise that they scratch him, But he heals up super quick... :o genuinely never knew he could heal so fast until he had an abcess on his boy gland things, healed in about 3 days!!
Cause of death (if applicable and if known): n/a

LARA
Male/Female: Female
Date of birth (roughly if you don't know!): 28th April, 2008, at roughly 7:30am :)
Date of death (if applicable!): n/a
Source: same as above
Do they have any excess hair on face/body? if so describe: Nope
Describe whiskers (eg - tight curls/wavy etc: Curly
Eye colour: Ruby
Health issues: None
Any disadvantages you have noticed (this is really down to opinion to a certain degree): None
Cause of death (if applicable and if known): n/a
Rayne & Myst Sleeping:Tempest, Ghost, Whisper, Casper, Lara, Flick, Hopeful, Little Bit, Phoenix, Lady-bum, Embie, Tommy, Fernie, Bea, Aurora, Hazel & Willow, Freya, Missy. Goos Harold & Humphrey