Dexamethasone survey

longlegs

Dexamethasone survey

Post by longlegs » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:07 am

After noticing some trends personally, and hearing about another similar case, I'm currently investigating the occurrence of side-effects during dexamethasone treatment. If you have had any rats on this and could take the time to fill in these questions, I'd be very grateful as I think it could prove useful for people. If you've had more than one rat on it, please fill in a separate one for each rat as it will make it clearer to read. I'm interested in hearing both from people who have noticed side-effects AND those who haven't, as it's important to get a balanced view. Thank you in advance for your time, I really appreciate it :)

Notes about filling out the survey;
- even if you only have an approximate weight, please put this down (marking as 'approx') as it will help determine roughly how strong the dose was for the rat
- when stating the dose, please be sure to write if it was in oral form or another, such as ear drops, and remember both strength and amount is needed to work out dose (e.g. 1/10th of a tablet means nothing without knowing it's a 1mg tablet)
- when describing the effects on the condition, side effects and other health problems, please be as descriptive as possible, even if apparently unrelated to the dex
- if you can fill in all the sections, that's fantastic, but even if you can only fill in a few that could still be helpful to notice basic trends :) 

Sex:
Neutered?:
Age at start of treatment:
Weight at start of treatment:
Prescribed for:
Was it a one-off dose (e.g. injection) or a course?:
Dose:
Previous/co-existing health problems:
Other medications given at the same time:
Effect on the health condition:
Side effects/other changes/new health problems developed during treatment:
Was the dose changed/stopped at any point? Is so, please include details and state what effect this had on the condition and any side effects:
Any other information:
Katie and the Kahini Rats xxx
:hearts: Many gone but never forgotten :hearts:

longlegs

Re: Dexamethasone survey

Post by longlegs » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:22 am

Just to add, if you can't or don't want to fill in the survey but want to post general thoughts or wish to discuss it, there is a topic here about it.
Katie and the Kahini Rats xxx
:hearts: Many gone but never forgotten :hearts:

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Onyx
Sex: Buck
Neutered?: No
Age at start of treatment: 26 months
Weight at start of treatment: approx 700g
Prescribed for: Most likely frontal lobe tumour, symptoms; behavioural changes, rapid weight loss and disinterest in food, erratic and occasionally distressed movements, lack of paw/eye coordination, generally not right (have vids of this if interested)
Was it a one-off dose (e.g. injection) or a course?: one off
Dose: ? – appropriate for his weight
Previous/co-existing health problems: Minor HLD from 24 months, run of strange abscesses that hit all the group at 12 months
Effect on the health condition: Significant improvement slowly declining with time, improved appetite, slowed weight loss, more normal behaviours, no distressed behaviour, better mobility. Over 3 weeks this faded until he passed away one morning whilst being fed.
Side effects/other changes/new health problems developed during treatment: none, but given the erratic nature of his condition and the length of time he lived after his injection it’s not the best example
Was the dose changed/stopped at any point? Is so, please include details and state what effect this had on the condition and any side effects: one of dose so N/A
Any other information: There is a fair chance that he had a weak heart as his 3 brothers went quickly in there sleep, one was attributed to being most likely to be heart failure, the others were similar, none confirmed by autopsy though.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Blossomgirl

Post by Blossomgirl » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:44 am

I havan't filled this in the way it's listed in the starting post. I have the entire story saved on my pc, and it's easier to just copy/paste, like this ( :lol: ):

I live in the Netherlands, so brand names for drugs may differ.

Bryan

Black Hooded Rat
Male
DOB: 26-03-2009
Parentage: no pedigree.
Mother's history unkown. She is still alive, and healthy. Never yet been to the vet.
Father's history known, up to 6 generations. No major recurring health problems in the line. Father still alive, and healthy. Never yet been to the vet.

The owner of Bryan's parents decided to breed one litter, with a view to possibly starting to breed. She later decided against becoming a breeder. All kittens were reserved. One of the people had reserved 4 boys, but changed their mind at the last minute, resulting in the 4 boys staying with the breeder. We adopted 2 of them when they were 5 months old. The other boys still live with her, and so does one of their sisters (one she'd always intended to keep). None have shown any health problems yet.

Bryan has been a sneezy boy since we got him (28-08-2009). We at first assumed it was 'new home' sneezes. After 2 or 3 months he began having sneeze fits. He would be unable to stop sneezing for minutes at a time, sometimes even for as long as half an hour. He had no other symptoms at any point. He ate and drank well, was full of energy, had no prophyrin staining and no chest noises. Just that snuffly, sneezy nose. It was often noticable during free-range time, but also happened when he was in the cage. It became particularly bad after we added 2 new rats to the cage (5 week old rescue boys – born in the rescue. Joined our family on 24-11-2009). One week later, on 30-11-2009, I took all 4 rats to the vet to be checked over.

The vet could not hear any chest noises, or find any other indications of illness in Bryan. He checked Bryan, and all the other rats, and said they were all healthy. He prescribed Doxoral Aquadrops (doxycycline) for Bryan, to try and get rid of the sneezes, before it became a chest problem. Dosage was 0.2ml twice a day, for 3 weeks. Bryan weighed 405g at the time.

After 3 weeks I phoned the vet. The sneezes had lessened, but not gone. He was no longer having sneeze fits. We stopped giving him doxy, and I was to phone the vet if it deteriorated again. Just a week later he had a major sneeze fit on a Saturday morning, and my husband and I took him in to the vet on the same day. He now weighed 450g, and was prescribed doxycycline again, on a dose of 0,25ml twice a day, for 6 weeks.

6 weeks later, he was still sneezing, although a little less. We returned to the vet on 11-02-1010. The vet was now fairly sure that we must be dealing with an allergy. She gave him a shot of Dexamethasone and prescribed dexamethason eye drops (ratiopharm 1mg/ml), 2 drops to be given in the nose, mouth or eyes (as long as it was a mucous membrane) twice a day. We gave it in the nose. At this point Bryan weighed 475g. He still had no symptoms other than the sneezing and suffly nose. No porphyrin, no lung sounds, plenty of energy, good appetite, etc.

On the 13th of February I thought he didn't look quite right, so I put him on a scale. He weighed 455g. He'd lost 20g in 2 days. I continued to weigh him daily, while trying frantically to discover what could be causing such dramatic weight loss. He continued to lose weight, but was eating and drinking well. His energy levels were also good. He was no longer sneezing.
His weight was as follows:
13-02-2010: 455g
14-02-2010: 445g
15-02-2010: 435g
16-02-2010: 422g

At this point I came across someone on Fancy Rats Community who had had this kind of dramatic weight loss in 3 of her rats who were on dexamethasone. I immediately stopped giving it, and contacted my vet (again – we'd ben in telephone contact over the days that Bryan was losing weight so dramatically). He agreed that it was possible, although he'd never seen a rat react to Dexamethasone in this way before. Bryan was losing weight in spite of eating well. In fact, I was feeding him loads of extra things, like baby porridge and Royal Canin's Convalesence Support, and he was still losing weight. He had no appetite loss at all, and still no symptoms other than weight loss. By this stage he was beginning to get lethargic,but that was only logical considering the drop in his weight.

On 17-02-2010 he weighed 410g. His spine was clearly visible under his fur, his ribs could be felt when you picked him up, and his tail was 'square'. He was still eating very well! This was the second day since stopping the Dexamethasone. The next morning he weighed 418g – he'd gained weight! We didn't give him the Dex again, and on 19-02-2010 he weighed 430g. On 28-02-2010 he weighed 66g, and on 09-03-2010 he was back up to (and past!) his old weight, weighing in at 480g.

His sneezes returned within a few days of stopping the Dex. He is now on a homeopathic remedy for allergy treatment (Puur Natuur), and hopefully within a week or 2 we'll know whether that has any effect.
Proudly owned by Bryan (Habana), Victor (Matfield), Percy (Montgomery), John (Smit), Ricky (January) and Ruan (Pienaar) - our gorgeous rugby boys.
Foster mummy to Toby.
Loved and sorely missed: Os (du Randt) and Friemel