Is there a market for fleece cage liners? (e.g. an Explorer)

RattyRenton

Is there a market for fleece cage liners? (e.g. an Explorer)

Post by RattyRenton » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi

Quick query, testing the waters as it were!

I made fleece liners for my Explorer by cutting quick thick foam to the size of the base of each half of the cage and sewing fleece over it, in a sort of quilted fashion. Would anyone possibly be interesting in buying any from me? I could make them to order. I'm not sure how much each would cost, I'd need to tot it up. I find they're much better than putting just fleece down on its own as it gets all scrunched up by the ratties running about on it. Here's an example, it looks too big for the cage but has since shrunk to fit perfectly (sorry for bad quality pic):

They do get chewed by the little darlings, mine all need patch jobs, so would like some feedback on whether you'd be interested and think they would be worth it. I think they'd be about £10 each, maybe a wee bit more. I'm going to the fabric shop soon so will get some more accurate prices.

Thankyou! :D

Note: title altered to make the objective of the topic clearer.
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

RetroLemons

Re: Selling fleece liners for the Explorer (or other cage)

Post by RetroLemons » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Is it padded? It looks like it, if it is what do you use in the middle? :D
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

RattyRenton

Re: Selling fleece liners for the Explorer (or other cage)

Post by RattyRenton » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:52 pm

Yeah it's padded. It's that foam that you can cut to the size you want, about 1.5 inches thick, although that reduces a bit after being in the washing machine. Still plenty thick. I quilt them to stop the foam going skewiff in the machine. I could use thick wadding as well, got loads of that somewhere.

That's another point, they are washing machinable. I can fit 2 in the machine at once, folded, with various hammocks shoved into the spaces in between.

They're akin to a floor cushion.
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

charlie4591

Re: Is there a market for fleece cage liners? (e.g. an Explorer)

Post by charlie4591 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:24 pm

i'd defintiely be interested in something like this i think its a great idea :) if you do get round to putting this idea into action give me a pm plz :) x
:love: Owned by my 8 beautiful girlies, Isis, Artemis, Venus, Athena, Freya, Parvati, Sonea and Trinity :love: 3 beautiful baby boys, Akkarin, Ceryni and Neo :love:

jax46uk

Post by jax46uk » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:03 pm

I currently use vetbed cut to size on the top shelf of my SRS but would also be interested in something like this if it had the corner missing accordingly!
Jackie
x x x

Rattie mum to Roxy, Sam, Roscoe, Smudge, Cookie, Dolly and Coco

Missing Ruby-blue, my big fat rat. Play well baby girl

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:47 pm

Yes, because i was thinking only yesterday that i would like such an item! :lol:

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:31 pm

I don't fancy a cage liner but i would love some sort of SRS shelf pad, i use substrate in the base but the shelves are too shallow for it, and my attempts are rubbish. It would need some means of securing to the shelf, like some ties underneath but it would be great. You could also do other shelf pads, it would help with bumble foot and keep the smell down with rats who use shelves as loo's
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

RattyRenton

Post by RattyRenton » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:22 pm

I'd definitely make them with ties on, after my boys constantly going underneath them. And for summer I wouldn't make them out of fleece, they'd be a more lightweight fabric. People could tell me what colours they'd be interested in and I could make them to order (thinking Christmassy printed fabric!), though with fabric I'm at the mercy of what Abakhan Fabrics have in. Yeah easy to make them with a gap for the ladder between cages.
I used foam cut to size for my last ones but I think I'll use wadding from now on, or do people think this could be dangerous to the rats if they put holes in the liners and pull the wadding out? With the foam the worst they can do is chew it to little chunks.
Heather x

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:46 pm

I've always felt safer wih foam than wadding, but that's my own personal opinion.
Like Jemma I'd be interested in SRS shelf pads. I also would have loved them for the long Marchioro shelves I used to have, and the corner shelves too.

For the main floor of the cage, unless the rat is ill (post op, some cases of HLD etc) or has very severe reactions to any bedding, loose substrate provides a valuable and necessary part of enrichment (digging, foraging for scatter fed food, making little sleepy nest circles, chewing on bits of it; mine love nibbling on the bigger bits of the hemp.) So I think most people will only want shelf liners because of scatter feeding / enrichment.
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

RattyRenton

Post by RattyRenton » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:21 pm

I put big litter trays in for them to forage in etc (they don't actually use them as litter trays, only by accident :roll: ). The Explorer bases are too shallow for substrate, as we all know. I've stopped using the cage liners for the time being, seeing how it goes (and I haven't got round to making Summer weight ones yet), the smell still seems to be the same, they're terrible for peeing absolutely everywhere.
Shelf liners would be easy enough. I just need to find thinner foam, I nearly broke my sewing machine last time I made a liner, the foam was so thick! Hence the reason I was thinking of using wadding.
I'll hunt round the net for foam.
Heather x

littlebabyribbon

Post by littlebabyribbon » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:20 pm

I make them for the smaller shelves found in critter cages. In the past i have used tabs and clips to hold them in place, but have been having ideas about some sort of elastic, but im not sure how that would be if it was exposed or chewed?