Survey about respiratory disease

Jird

Survey about respiratory disease

Post by Jird » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:24 pm

If you could spare 2 minutes to fill out my survey about ratty respiratory disease I would be massively grateful. It's for my dissertation project; I'm looking at environmental factors that affect the development of respiratory disease in rats.

The link is HERE.

It's very straightforward - just a list of multiple choice questions about how you keep your rats and what you've seen in the way of respiratory disease.

It's also totally anonymous, unless you think you might randomly want to withdraw your answers at a later date (I can't think of a reason anyone would want to do this, but my uni's ethics board insists you have the option :P) in which case you could submit your name with your answers if you fancied so your data can be identified and duly deleted.

Thank you muchly! :D
Emily and the boys - Jamie, Bailey, Finn and Tumnus
Love you Bond, Liam, George, Blaze. See you at the bridge little guys.

MIMousery

Re: Survey about respiratory disease

Post by MIMousery » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:26 pm

Will fill it out in a second :D May I ask what it is that you study?

ETA Survey done :D

Jird

Post by Jird » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:33 pm

Yay, thank you very much :D I'm studying Animal Science with an emphasis on Behaviour and Welfare. It's a bit of a mouthful I know :oops: I envy people who can just answer 'Geography' or similar sometimes...

MIMousery

Post by MIMousery » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:40 pm

Ah awesome :D I'm studying biomedical research with applied genetics and a minor in languages, but I would love to do a degree in animal behaviour and conservation with a minor in another language once I have done this degree.... Maybe I can start collecting them....

Naomi1984

Post by Naomi1984 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Hiya

No probs filling it out but im not sure i will be any use? Is it just for rats that have died or existing rats with resp illnesses?
Love Naomi and The Gang xxx
:hearts: Sadie, Scarlett, Judi, Daisy and Thomas :hearts:

Jird

Post by Jird » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:55 pm

MIMousery wrote:Ah awesome :D I'm studying biomedical research with applied genetics and a minor in languages, but I would love to do a degree in animal behaviour and conservation with a minor in another language once I have done this degree.... Maybe I can start collecting them....
Brilliant, your course is even more of a mouthful than mine! :P And I think degrees would make quite a good collection, much more sophisticated than decorative plates or My Little Ponies and they'd take up much less space...
Naomi1984 wrote:No probs filling it out but im not sure i will be any use? Is it just for rats that have died or existing rats with resp illnesses?
Sorry, I should've made it a bit clearer :oops: It's for rats that have died, depressingly. As I need to know the total lifespan of the rats, and of course a living rat (hopefully :o) hasn't reached the end of their lifespan yet!

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:57 pm

Well done for stopping procrastinating enough to post :D I will fill it in during a later self-procrastination point...
Jird wrote:I envy people who can just answer 'Geography' or similar sometimes...
No, because that's too broad, and people always ask for specifics. Can't win :roll:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Jird

Post by Jird » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:04 pm

Oh no, you see making this post was a procrastination technique itself - I'm hard at work avoiding the nutrition essay due in on Thursday :rollred:

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:41 pm

I've completed one in relation to Monkey, the youngest rat I've ever lost. She and her family were dumped in a hamster cage inside a box (11 of them) beside a river in February 09. Whether that was what triggered her problems I don't know, but her sister also developed problems, not at such a young age, and I lost her at 20 months.

Might it be useful to have a comments box on the form for additional info?
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:36 pm

I've not had a rat that young that has died yet. Most of mine have been fairly old when I adopted them so couldn't fill in the questionnaire. Will be interesting to see the results though.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

annc

Post by annc » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:06 pm

A space for free comments would be useful - Ratara died of an acute respiratory illness following an operation to remove an eye because of an abscess. The vet felt that there were various possibilities:
1. Possible aspiration pneumonia following syringe feeding at home
2. Abscess tracking down to lungs and causing pneumonia.
3. an acute bacterial or viral pneumonia of unknown origin - possibly picked up at vet's.
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

Marianimal

Post by Marianimal » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:52 pm

I've filled in several for you (:
FP Girls, Oldies, Pink Wrinklies and Wrinkle Men II.
Sleep tight everyone else.

Jird

Post by Jird » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:50 pm

Massive thanks to everyone who has responded :girly: It's a huge help, I really wouldn't be able to do my dissertation without you!

About the comment box, it is a good idea. I had one in my pilot questionnaire, no idea why I took it out of the final version :roll: I'm not entirely sure if I'm technically allowed to add one in without resubmitting the whole thing for ethical approval all over again, but I figure since I had one in my pilot and that was approved it should be okay. I'll ask my advisor about it at our next meeting...

Anyway, I've added one in :) If it turns out to not be allowed, I'll just pretend I didn't! Sorry to everyone who's already submitted a response that would have benefited from being able to add additional comments :oops: If you'd like to PM any additional details that I can add to your response then please feel free, but don't worry about it if not.

Jird

Post by Jird » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Aaaaand... the survey is closed. Thank you again to everyone who filled this out :D I didn't get a whole lot in the way of conclusions unfortunately - I should've been less procrastinatey and advertised the survey more. But in case anyone is curious, the results I did get indicated that rats from good breeders develop much less severe respiratory disease than those from pet shops/rescues/backyard breeders, and that rats are in better shape when they're handled regularly by their owners and have lots of ratty companionship. Groundbreaking, eh :oops: :lol: