Please oppose these rabbit breeding farms

Athena

Please oppose these rabbit breeding farms

Post by Athena » Fri May 20, 2011 8:29 pm

These are to be a few miles from me, I cant beleive it :(

Two rabbit farms are being proposed for sites in Nottinghamshire (Granby and East Bridgford), which would each hold around 1,100 rabbits to be reared and killed for meat and fur. Please contact the relevant council, Rushcliffe Borough Council, to oppose both planning applications.

The Case Officer is Jeff Hall, who can be contacted on 0115 914 8228.

Development Control
Rushcliffe Borough Council
Civic Centre
Pavilion Road
West Bridgford
Nottingham
NG2 5FE
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

Rattitude!
Location: London...ish, England, UK, British Isles, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System

Re: Please oppose these rabbit breeding farms

Post by Rattitude! » Fri May 20, 2011 9:14 pm

I read about this :cry: . Unbelievable. What are they being bred for, do you know? Meat, or fur? I didn't think that either was very popular...

You can sign a petition against it here . Click the link on the right.

There's also a page about objecting the proposal.
Four gorgeous girls that make my life complete:
Cookie and Cream ~ Netherland Dwarf Rabbits
Lucky and Priscilla ~ Rhode Island Red X Light Sussex Hybrid chickens.
Rats soon? Hopefully!

Athena

Post by Athena » Fri May 20, 2011 9:33 pm

Meat and fur :( its so unnecessary :(
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

jane89

Post by jane89 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:39 pm

signed. i thought the uk was finally starting to move away from the cruelty of intensive farming, that this is even being proposed is a massive step back :(
proud mum to the three amigos: sasha, eddie and patsy. and in memory of maybelle: you may be gone but your chew marks on my bed still remain. rip little one

i may not be a rat expert, but please feel free to PM me for ferret advice!

racingrat

Post by racingrat » Sat May 21, 2011 8:58 am

I never thought his would happen in the UK. Breeding farms to rear animals for FUR and meat? I was`nt aware that rabbit meat was all that popular anyway and fur farming is always a no go area. I`m appauled that something like this should be granted permission in this country. :angry:

People who eat rabbit usually kill it in the wild from over-populated warrens, which has gone on for centuries anyway, but for a purpose built rearing facility to be permitted it just wrong. Some bright spark has had the idea that they could make money from this type of thing and that`s what it`s all about. Money.
Of all the people I have known-he was the most...human. (In Loving Memory of Winston)

katebux

Post by katebux » Sat May 21, 2011 9:44 am

Looks like the planning application has been withdrawn, and a plan for a free-range farm is being put forward. This is much better. :P I don't eat meat myself but lots of people do, and I don't see why farming for meat and fur is any different to raising cows for meat and leather tbh?
Kate and the rats <3 )~
Dante :dumbo: Gabriel :dumbo: Ezio :smileyrat: Nico :smileyrat: and new babies Othello :baby: and Mercutio :baby:
:rainbow: Flopsy, Mopsy, Barbie, Phil, Lil,Tiffany, Bianca, Pixie, Daphne and Fiona

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sat May 21, 2011 10:15 am

racingrat wrote: I was`nt aware that rabbit meat was all that popular anyway and fur farming is always a no go area. I`m appauled that something like this should be granted permission in this country. :angry:
Rabbit is fairly popular to order in restaurants or have for a treat as people think that it's game and therefore naturally free range. Most people don't realise that most of the rabbit found at the butchers is actually farmed not shot. Farmed rabbit tends to be New Zealand whites which provide more meat than traditional wild rabbits as they are much bigger so maybe that's an explanation why this method is favoured. People seem to be unaware of this though as I have had conversations with a few people about it who just assumed it would be wild rabbits shot for being "vermin". Many are unaware of the conditions that these rabbits are kept in as it doesn't seem to be regulated in the same way as normal farming as the breeder tends to breed for both meat and supplying pet shops so keeping an eye on what they are upto doesn't seem to be getting done from what I can tell from being knowing a fair bit about large scale rabbit rescues which have happened over the last few years.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Mcfluff

Post by Mcfluff » Sat May 21, 2011 12:10 pm

While I don't agree with the intensive farming of any animal, for any purpose - and I don't eat meat nor buy leather/fur products - the welfare standards of a British rabbit farm are probably 1000 times higher than those in places like China, where a lot of rabbit sold in this country comes from.
Jacqui, Mum to Bella, Phoebe and Mr "Fred" Croup
and sadly missing Jeera, Dhana, Kizzy, Tasha, Nico, Amber, Saffy, Opal, Ruby, Trinny and Ziggy

Street Spirit

Post by Street Spirit » Sat May 21, 2011 2:48 pm

That's very true. Rabbit was farmed quite a lot up to the 80's in the UK but cheap Chinese imports put an end to it. When I first left home (in 1979), it was the only meat I could afford as at the time it was cheaper even than chicken. If you are going to eat the meat then why not use the fur?

Having said that, there is a lot of wild rabbit about and it tastes better.

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sat May 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Mcfluff wrote:While I don't agree with the intensive farming of any animal, for any purpose - and I don't eat meat nor buy leather/fur products - the welfare standards of a British rabbit farm are probably 1000 times higher than those in places like China, where a lot of rabbit sold in this country comes from.
Same and I would have thought welfare in these farms is also of a netter standard than in the BYB's that I have referred to in my post. I still disagree is is necessary though as racinrat pointed out rabbit is not a popular meat and as Street Spirit points out there is plenty of wild rabbit available so why breed?
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Wed May 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Unbelievable...
Signed.
Doug, witless provider to :
Boys: Brannigan, Kiff.
Girls: Yuffie, Rinoa, Peaches.
:rainbow: 12 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Johnny-5 :rainbow:
Glue Trap Awareness