PDSA's new policy.

RetroLemons

PDSA's new policy.

Post by RetroLemons » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Is there anyone here who uses the PDSA? If you do you probably recieved a letter but they have the details on their site here.

Upon recieving the letter my parents were both upset and angry at this desicion as they have three pedigree dogs. One was purchased 11 years ago, the other given to them by family members 10 years ago and the third off of family members 3 years ago.

Peanut (3) has an ongoing condition so will have to be the one pedigree dog, leaving our two elderly dogs without help. Insurance for them is something extreme because of their age so not an option, so whilst my parents will always try for vetinary treatment they may have to make harder desicions sooner rather than later.

My parents stopped their DD to PDSA to start saving for vet bills, my Grandma (who has two rescue(!) pedigrees and always donates large sums of money) has to cut her DD for donations in half for the same reason. -So they are losing donations.

We know why they are doing it, because of breeders except this is the wrong way to go around it. In their letter they explained why it was unfair and other ways that would work like a neutering policy for treatment.

Lots of people breed mongrels and moggies but this won't effect them will it? Neither will it effect people in it for the cash as they won't care, those pedigrees will merely carry on pumping out puppies without a hope for vetinary treatment.

Anway before I go on further, if you can and want to it may be worth writing to the PDSA.
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

siberiankiss

Re: PDSA's new policy.

Post by siberiankiss » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:18 pm

Is PDSA treatment the one that will treat animals who are owned by people who are on a low income? There isn't one around here (to my knowledge) so excuse my ignorance.
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Yes it is and its a great charity, just the minority take it for granted. :(
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)

siberiankiss

Post by siberiankiss » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:22 pm

I don't really know how I feel about it, then. I suppose I'll stay right here on the fence.

I think that having such a service is important, particularly from the POV of the animals. That said, I also am a firm believer that you shouldn't have an animal if you can't afford it - and that includes the insurance payments - but I also appreciate that times are difficult and circumstances change, I certainly can't be 'high and mighty' when I can't predict the future, I might need help one day. This certainly won't crack down on breeding - it will take much, much more than this.
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:22 pm

siberiankiss wrote:Is PDSA treatment the one that will treat animals who are owned by people who are on a low income? There isn't one around here (to my knowledge) so excuse my ignorance.
They treat people in receipt of council tax benefit and or housing benefit and living in their catchment area.

Does it affect people who already have pedigrees registered? Or is it just new registrants?
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:26 pm

philosophyfox wrote:
siberiankiss wrote:Is PDSA treatment the one that will treat animals who are owned by people who are on a low income? There isn't one around here (to my knowledge) so excuse my ignorance.
They treat people in receipt of council tax benefit and or housing benefit and living in their catchment area.

Does it affect people who already have pedigrees registered? Or is it just new registrants?
Both - my parents actually said they would have agreed with it more had it only affected new registrants.
siberiankiss wrote:That said, I also am a firm believer that you shouldn't have an animal if you can't afford it - and that includes the insurance payments - but I also appreciate that times are difficult and circumstances change,
I would normally agree but like you said looking 5-10 years a head is impossible in terms of finance.

hedgeweasel

Post by hedgeweasel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:31 pm

The site does say this though, would this not cover your families dogs?

"Special provision will be made for existing second or third pedigree pets that are reliant on continuous treatment"

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:32 pm

No, only one dog needs continuous treatement (Which is why she will stay on) the other two are just old and nearing the time where something major might actually happen :(

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:45 pm

I can sort of see their reasoning, if you look at the growing amount of people with pedigrees, and people breeding loads and advertising them in newspapers. Although it won't cut down on people breeding, it might make people rethink the decision to get another pedigree dog. Perhaps their reasoning is that if you can afford a pedigree dog you can afford the vets? (I am not saying this applies to your parents btw, or to many people who have breeds because they like the 'predictableness' of that breed, or because they have it before financial troubles starts.

I do think it could have been thought out so as to accommodate people such as your parents. It might be worth speaking to them for the full details and to see how it will affect the other two dogs.
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

indigoj

Post by indigoj » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Utterly ridiculous. Does a mongrel not cost the same to treat as a pedigree? Is it less likely to have an accident? Ok, some inbred pedigrees have significant lifelong health issues but not all. What about rescued pedigrees like Greyhounds for example?

I agree, people should only have pets they can afford but in the current economic climate many people are in situations they would not have imagined possible a few years back :( The only ones that will suffer here are the pets.
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture

Athena

Post by Athena » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:25 pm

do they think pedigrees cost more to maintain/ in vets fees? they might cost more to buy but thats it. Also how do you prove if a dog is or isnt predigree? and by pedigree do they mean KC registered or just full breed?
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

Jessalina

Post by Jessalina » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:46 pm

I can see where they are coming from with this, after all it's a bit of a joke for someone on a low income to spend a grand on, say, a pug puppy, and then expect subsidised vet treatment, but I hope they will make exceptions for rescued purebreds, of which there are many.
Careful now

Athena

Post by Athena » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:51 pm

Jessalina wrote:I can see where they are coming from with this, after all it's a bit of a joke for someone on a low income to spend a grand on, say, a pug puppy, and then expect subsidised vet treatment, but I hope they will make exceptions for rescued purebreds, of which there are many.
but pedigrees dont necessarily cost more to buy! and what if they have had the dog for 10yrrs before their circumstances changed? You know these fashionable mongrels like cockapoos cost more than some pedigree dogs!
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance

Jessalina

Post by Jessalina » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:54 pm

If the dogs are already registered then I believe they will still be treated, but it could cause problems for those who are only now eligible due to sudden financial difficulty. It's not entirely fair, I know, but they are a charity and I guess something had to give :(
And I do hope they will be excluding expensive designer crossbreeds as well, in the name of fairness, as they can cost as much as a purebred. Not all mutts are the expensive designer version however, mine isn't. Then again I am not eligible for PDSA treatment despite being on a v. low income.
Last edited by Jessalina on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Careful now

Athena

Post by Athena » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:55 pm

but then how do you prove it either way? what if your labrador was 'caught' by a poodle etc etc this is what makes it all so unfair. I honestly think they will have to reconsider they will be losing a lot of support!