PDSA's new policy.

Jessalina

Re: PDSA's new policy.

Post by Jessalina » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:05 pm

You might get away with it I suppose, as long as you don't mention the 'oodle' word... :-?
No, there are a lot of holes in it, but I'm guessing they will receive a lot of opposition, they might have a change of heart.
Careful now

Athena

Post by Athena » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:06 pm

im guessing thats why they have asked people to contact them in writing about it, thinking many people wont be bothered unless directly effected! seems like a sneaky way to have less on their books to me
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:27 pm

Jessalina wrote:I can see where they are coming from with this, after all it's a bit of a joke for someone on a low income to spend a grand on, say, a pug puppy, and then expect subsidised vet treatment, but I hope they will make exceptions for rescued purebreds, of which there are many.
Unless they bought that dog many years ago, or its a rescue as there is no mention of them asking for papers etc. On our letter it said recognized breeds, it was one question my parents asked in their letter.
Jessalina wrote:If the dogs are already registered then I believe they will still be treated,
For a limited period until their registration is up, I believe it's something like 6 months for ours.
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:15 pm

I don't use the PDSA, and even when I was on low income I didn't qualify because I live with my parents, but I think that the new policy is ridiculous. How does your breed of dog reflect your income at all? I get that, as mentioned, it would be stupid for someone on a low income to spent a gross amount on a dog that they can't afford, but not all pedigree dogs cost more than it would cost to buy a mixed breed dog, and circumstances change, and a dog could have been a gift (I'm not into animals as presents, but, for example, in my case, my dog was a gift on the understanding that I'd pay for everything else and that I was fully respsonsible, meaning that I've accumulated savings and put it aside specifically to make sure my dog wouldn't suffer if I lost my job (and that he always had good food and vet treatment when I was on ESA).

Surely this supports dodgy breeders? People buying puppies off of places like Gumtree because at least they'll be able to use the PDSA? My dog is a labrador. He was bought for me for my birthday. Admittedly, I specifically put him first and so he never goes without and I take care of his vet bills and I now work full time, but if I couldn't work in the future (I have 'limited capacity' for work, it's recognised that my job is very specific to my needs) and was able to use the PDSA but for having a pedigree dog? Yet someone who bought themselves a dog off of some randomer who decided to let their dogs mate 'just 'cause', and buys themselves expensive gadgets with their income/benefits would get subsidised vet fees? Yeah, that's logical. :-?
Benjamin [Autistic & Proud]
The rat lads:Diego, Tristan, Noah, Isaac, Ace, Spooky.
Rat lads at the bridge: Bebop, Rocksteady, Charlie, Fudge, Icarus, Tobias, Bacchus, Zeke, Hugo.

Jessalina

Post by Jessalina » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:59 pm

RetroLemons wrote:
Jessalina wrote:I can see where they are coming from with this, after all it's a bit of a joke for someone on a low income to spend a grand on, say, a pug puppy, and then expect subsidised vet treatment, but I hope they will make exceptions for rescued purebreds, of which there are many.
Unless they bought that dog many years ago, or its a rescue as there is no mention of them asking for papers etc. On our letter it said recognized breeds, it was one question my parents asked in their letter.
Yes, and like I said I don't think it's entirely fair, but clearly they're feeling the pinch and they have to have a limit, somehow. Whether this is the right way of going about it I'm not so sure. They will only register three animals per person/household anyway, which would be a shame for someone with multiple pets who might lose their job and suddenly require the help of the PDSA, but a charity can only do so much.
RetroLemons wrote:
Jessalina wrote:If the dogs are already registered then I believe they will still be treated,
For a limited period until their registration is up, I believe it's something like 6 months for ours.
That is pretty harsh :(
Pirate wrote: if I couldn't work in the future (I have 'limited capacity' for work, it's recognised that my job is very specific to my needs) and was able to use the PDSA but for having a pedigree dog? Yet someone who bought themselves a dog off of some randomer who decided to let their dogs mate 'just 'cause', and buys themselves expensive gadgets with their income/benefits would get subsidised vet fees? Yeah, that's logical. :-?
You would still be able register one pedigree animal, but no more.
Careful now

shaycos

Post by shaycos » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:54 pm

My last vet offered PDSA to clients and had posters up, saying requirements, Oddly enough the posters (that have been up for years) say you can have only one pet covered. I know they do this in practise too as someone came in with two kittens and they said that they could apply for PDSA for one then pay for the other. Wonder if this is something they have been slowly integrating for a while and only recently let long term members know.

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:27 am

Jessalina wrote:
RetroLemons wrote:
Yes, and like I said I don't think it's entirely fair, but clearly they're feeling the pinch and they have to have a limit, somehow. Whether this is the right way of going about it I'm not so sure. They will only register three animals per person/household anyway, which would be a shame for someone with multiple pets who might lose their job and suddenly require the help of the PDSA, but a charity can only do so much.
This is true, unfortunately though they are going to be losing a lot of donations of people who now have to put that away in a vet fund :( It just seems like there are other options! Someone told me it is because their donors dislike seeing people with pedigrees meaning they spent loads of money on them which isn't always true, or could have been years ago. Another reason was the breeding side, but a neutering policy for clients would sort that problem!
shaycos wrote:My last vet offered PDSA to clients and had posters up, saying requirements, Oddly enough the posters (that have been up for years) say you can have only one pet covered. I know they do this in practise too as someone came in with two kittens and they said that they could apply for PDSA for one then pay for the other. Wonder if this is something they have been slowly integrating for a while and only recently let long term members know.
What were the kittens do you know? As that doesn't make much sense if they weren't pedigree's as the PDSA still lets you register three pets. :-?
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)

laa

Post by laa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:06 am

RetroLemons wrote:Is there anyone here who uses the PDSA? If you do you probably recieved a letter but they have the details on their site here.

Upon recieving the letter my parents were both upset and angry at this desicion as they have three pedigree dogs. One was purchased 11 years ago, the other given to them by family members 10 years ago and the third off of family members 3 years ago.

Peanut (3) has an ongoing condition so will have to be the one pedigree dog, leaving our two elderly dogs without help. Insurance for them is something extreme because of their age so not an option, so whilst my parents will always try for vetinary treatment they may have to make harder desicions sooner rather than later.

My parents stopped their DD to PDSA to start saving for vet bills, my Grandma (who has two rescue(!) pedigrees and always donates large sums of money) has to cut her DD for donations in half for the same reason. -So they are losing donations.

We know why they are doing it, because of breeders except this is the wrong way to go around it. In their letter they explained why it was unfair and other ways that would work like a neutering policy for treatment.

Lots of people breed mongrels and moggies but this won't effect them will it? Neither will it effect people in it for the cash as they won't care, those pedigrees will merely carry on pumping out puppies without a hope for vetinary treatment.

Anway before I go on further, if you can and want to it may be worth writing to the PDSA.
i haven't read through the whole thread, and i don't know enough about the pdsas reasons for putting this in place...

however good news for you, if your pets are already registered they can remain registered and continue to be treated under the old rules, but you will have to contact them to sort it out, i believe.
:hearts: Monster, Monkey, Jareth & Ludo :hearts:
:rainbow: Loki, Shake, Dahl, 'Olly', Vac, Bishop, Shakespeare, Burton, Gomaz, Harley, Greebo, Cobway, Ichabod, Marmite, Moran, Iago, Carlos, Oliver, George, Squishee, Sable, Bailey :rainbow:

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:26 am

That is good news, and not what out letter said! My parents have already contacted them via the letter so should get a response, its a shame that the PDSA people the other day didn't explain this when they where in it. Hang on I'll get the quote off the letter as it explains what I am saying better!
Because you have been registered recently, we are prepared to offer an extended period before this policy will apply to you. If your current registration has not yet expired you will have the remainder of that registration and one further full registration period before the ruling applies to you. If however you are currently unregistered but re-register within the next 6 months then we will allow treatment for your second of third pedigree pet but only for the duration of that registration and only provided they are already recorded as owned by you.
This is delt with by my parents but I know they said they only had something like 6 or 9 months before our older dogs couldn't be registered, so now I am utterly confused as to how they stand. :-?

laa

Post by laa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:44 pm

oh...that seriously sucks! i thought it was for the remainder of the dogs life!! otherwise, well...whats the point?

by the way...really random thread move :-|
:hearts: Monster, Monkey, Jareth & Ludo :hearts:
:rainbow: Loki, Shake, Dahl, 'Olly', Vac, Bishop, Shakespeare, Burton, Gomaz, Harley, Greebo, Cobway, Ichabod, Marmite, Moran, Iago, Carlos, Oliver, George, Squishee, Sable, Bailey :rainbow:

shaycos

Post by shaycos » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:35 am

The kittens were just everday domestics. May just have been the practice i was in but the poster offering PDSA defo said you could register one pet. However the poster was handwritten, on paper with pdsa logo, so may have been written by someone at the vets. Odd if the policy states differnet.
Sadly this vets has had a few problems with certain clients so maybe case of them trying to discourage people, or at least make them a little more aware before registering with them which is sad if its not there for pets and owners who really need it.