Summary of Rat Life Span Data

flash-gordonette

Re: Summary of Rat Life Span Data

Post by flash-gordonette » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:14 am

googoodoll wrote:We used to always get our rats from Wyevale garden centre
Even though this thread is reeeally old, just wanted to chip in and say that Wyevale Garden Centres (Now the Garden Cnetre Company!) no longer sell animals and haven't done for at least 5(?) years.

The CEO that took over when I still worked there was against pet-shop animals and so put a ban on the stores selling them.

Hurrah! :D

(Just wish I'd understood the significance of this at the time :roll: )
Michelle- aka Mommy to: Ivory Coast :dumbo: Jeremy Ruffles :smileyrat: Rodney Hood :dumbo: Willy Whiskers and :dumbo: Barry Role :smileyrat:

:hearts: Mr Gregory Bread :dumbohalo: Billy Bear :dumbohalo: :hearts:

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:57 am

If anybody is interested, I have a document of my rats' lifespans, over 30 rats. I did work out the average, which was more or less exactly 2, with many dying quite a lot under two, and one living to three (the nearest next was two-and-a-half). I didn't put reasons on the sheet however, I can probably remember most of the reasons.
Mummy to Courcelles, Lilac, Feather, Midnight & Cocoa

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:26 pm

Well done for putting this together. I would prefer the listings to be with the percentages working from high to low or low to high just to make for easier reading. :)
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

izimcflizz

Post by izimcflizz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:27 pm

Squirrel wrote:If anybody is interested, I have a document of my rats' lifespans, over 30 rats. I did work out the average, which was more or less exactly 2, with many dying quite a lot under two, and one living to three (the nearest next was two-and-a-half). I didn't put reasons on the sheet however, I can probably remember most of the reasons.
Thats pretty much what I have had here, with exception to the two sisters who had to be pts at 8 and 11 months due to a serious brain problem. My only breeder girl lived about the same as my rescues and less than the two petshop girls we started out with. My 4 breeder rats are currently <12 months old so I dont want to think about how long I have left.

I'm no statittistionn (person who does clever things with numbers :lol: ) but I from what I can remember from the a levels there are many more ways to analyse than mean which show skews and stuff but to be honest they would all be past my ability to do anymore or even understand them. My mean age for 30 rats is 26 months (although it will increase with the 3 I currently have that are 25 months old now) but as they are mostly rescues its only an educated guess anyway :D

But thanks for the data, whatever the sample size it just reminds me how unfair the rats have it and how short a time we get with them, I'm off for a furry cuddle
Gogglebox mischief JD Lucy Dali Emma Russell Gandalf Merlin Queenie Sparrow Nova
:rainbow: Theo Puddle-Duck Boomer Adam Bella Hetty Pepper Little-Dorrit Ginger Horus Maia Boo Cleo Kirra Freya Faith River Treacle Honey Star Geordie Pudding Willow