Summary of Rat Life Span Data

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:08 pm

Vawny wrote:I am a little bewildered that a rat passed away because of self harm. What do you mean specifically...?

I'm wondering if it was possibly chewing out stitches or something like that....?
Mummy to Courcelles, Lilac, Feather, Midnight & Cocoa

Vawny

Post by Vawny » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:53 pm

Just confused me a little, as self harm in humans is kinda specific. I mean, how do you know the mental state of the rat at the time to be able to determine it was self harm...?! I'm nit picking, sorry. Whatever it was, it is still very sad and I'm sorry if my curiousity has upset anyone. xx
... and here endeth the tail...

Gigi

Post by Gigi » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:46 am

Vermin wrote:Basically all I want to say is your data is very interesting but needs further development before anyone can take any serious conclusions from it. You may realise this but I just wanted to point this out to people who may not know and may be put off from buying rats from good pet shops based on this data.

i dont see how the data would put anyone off from buying pet shop rats, according to her study, pet shop rats live just as long as breeder rats....

Katrina16

Post by Katrina16 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:11 am

Wow, so they have quite a short lifespan really then?

Or it might just seem short to me because I'm used to guinea pigs. They live for about 4 to 6 years!
Slave to: 1 dog and 11 guinea pigs!

*I miss my ratties!*

beetroot

Post by beetroot » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:30 pm

anything that puts people off getting rats from pet shops is a good thing.

Punchkick

Post by Punchkick » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:31 pm

thats not necessarily true! i got 3 of my girls from a petshop, and they are so lively, friendly and loving! when i introduced them to my other girls, it took under a week! they all get on so well! i think it just depends on the pet shop and it makes me quite sad that wee ratties wouldnt have a good home because people refused to take them from a pet store!! you just have to know what to look for!

felflowne

Post by felflowne » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:20 am

I felt guilty because my Ryoki and Naota are both pet shop boys, and I didn't know about the alternatives when I bought them :( but I wouldn't've swapped them for the world :smileyrat:

It's a difficult one to solve, because if we buy them the shop does well and gets more in from whatever sources, and if we don't, the ratties don't get a home. Dilemma! :(

I'll have to keep an eye out if you run a survey like this again so's I can submit some data :)
Auron :smileyrat: Toshiro :smileyrat: Dangermouse :smileyrat: !Xabbu :smileyrat: Sousuke :smileyrat: Hayashida :smileyrat: And my late guys :rainbow: Ryoki, Livio, Naota, Ichigo, Mole, Vash, Dirty Frank, Marv.

Ratsputin

Post by Ratsputin » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:43 pm

One question: what age was the oldest? We've just collected a rat from the RSPCA and the person there told us they had a rat that lived to be 8 years old.

strawberry zebra

Post by strawberry zebra » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:43 am

^^ 8 years old?!?!

A woman I was talking to at the vet said that she has had 2 rats - 1 lived only a year but the other lived for 5 years!

jupack

Re: Summary of Rat Life Span Data

Post by jupack » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:52 pm

I did read once that the oldest recorded rat was one named Rodney who died aged 7 years and 4 months. This was some time ago so maybe that record has now been overtaken.
The cutie-pie in the avatar is Dido.

Oriax

Post by Oriax » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:13 pm

I heard that lab-rats live for a long time, 6 years has been recorded (once rehomed to a pet home).

Its odd that the majority of pet shop rats live a bit longer than breeder rats, although I guess its due to how many more generations pet shop rats are at, whilst breeder rats have been bred more carefully. No doubt breeder rats are healthier though. And the 'other sources' section aren't all necessarily pet shops rats either :-?
Chloe x

:olddoe: Lynx :baby: Awaiting my newbies!
:rainbow: RIP Cairo

andybhoy

Post by andybhoy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:45 pm

To be honest, I don't feel the sample sizes are large enough for a truly accurate picture. The indepth analysis was of 56 breeder rats. This sample size, spread across several breeders, just isn't large enough to (imo) draw strong conclusions over. (I see that Sillytilly acknowledged that).

It's unlikely of course that we'd ever get a large enough sample from the membership, but I wouldn't feel that anything less than 750 pet shop rats, and 750 breeder rats (spread across scores of breeders) would be truly indicative.

googoodoll

Post by googoodoll » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:21 pm

My first rat lived to nearly five years. He was the sweetest most gentle rat I've ever had and I don't think any other rat will ever surpass him. The strange thing was he was the runt of the litter and I think there must have been either complications when he was in the womb or when he was given birth to because he was slightly deformed, he walked kind of funny and he was always very skinny no matter how much we fed him, so I couldn't understand how he lived that long. Good genes I guess.

We used to always get our rats from Wyevale garden centre, I didn't know any better but my Mum should have. They always lived past two years, except for a couple, like Billy who had a lump in his throat that was operated on, and it turned out the root of it went all the way down to his nether regions. He was ok a couple of days after that but he died suddenly one day.

The rest of the rats we've had have unfortunately come from a pet shop, and they struggle to reach the two year mark. They are a lot sicklier than the ones from the garden centre. I stupidly only found out recently that you shouldn't buy from pet shops, and this lot were meant to be from a rescue. I had a Critter 2 set up and everything, for THREE rats, according to the cage calculator, then my Mum comes home from work with FOUR from the pet shop. I am so incredibly frustrated by her 'want it now' point of view. Her question was 'how do you know that the ones in rescue haven't come from a pet shop?' I tried to explain to her but she often struggles to understand simple concepts. /rant over
Mum to: Sebastian, Sidney, Jacob and Jared.

R.I.P. to all who have come before, about 40 now, particularly Eddie, the most recent, who died of a stroke in my arms, and Ollie, my first ever rat who lived to the grand old age of four and a half.

riot-grrrl

Post by riot-grrrl » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:02 am

i was really shocked to read that a rat died of self harm, thats awfully sad, would anyone mind telling me what happened? That must have been a really upsetting time, hugs for the rattie parents
xxx
Owned by Thor, Loki, Bramble and Jody (Possum)
Have fun over the bridge Dylan, Bear, Blue xxx

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:06 am

Just wondering if anyone has a copy of the excel spreadhseet of this data, i would love to have a proper mess around with it.

If so can you pm me and i'll chuck across my email address
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June