How much have you spent....Vet Survey.

ratty lover0099

How much have you spent....Vet Survey.

Post by ratty lover0099 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:22 pm

Have just been looking through my ratty folder, putting in the print out for todays visit (RIP Gem :cry: ) I colour code all the print outs I get, and am quite particular with having them in order etc :oops:

Anyway, thought I'd post up my totals of every years vet visits. I think this shows, that whatever many people think, rats are not cheap animals to keep. (Although, might I add, they're definately worth it. :hearts: )

Anyway, here's mine (I've kept rats since 1998, but only started keeping records from July 2004).....

2004 - £219.22
2005 - £411.91
2006 - £688.01
2007 - £44.11
2008 - £433.17 (And we are only 6 months through this year)

(I've never kept more than 9 rats at a time)
Karen.
Currently rat-less :(
:rainbow:Splodge, Hodgheg, Tia, Spot, Orchid, Domino, Rico, Lily, Fern, Dotty, Savannah, Ebony, Eclipse, Vixen, Gem, Sapphire, Aura, Bracken, Willow, Eira, Addison, Echo, Wispa, Gilbert, Albert and Herbert.

Jaynie99

Re: How much have you spent....Vet Survey.

Post by Jaynie99 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:29 pm

2007 was a good year for you!

2007 - 1 of my 1st pair of rats was suddenly very ill but I was eligible for PDSA treatment (which I paid a £10 donation every time for)...but after their rubbish care of my rattie I went to Goddards & paid around £25 for the consult, an injection & some medication.
Then the day I got Dolly home she wouldn't stop sneezing (another reason not buy from a pet shop :roll: ) So that needed a consult & course of Baytril.

2008 - Flake had a lump removal op - £60 + the original consult.... then a consult & PTS :(
Dolly had another resp inf - another consult & baytril fee.
Lucky - consult to discuss lump removal op...& then to have her ear glued on a week later!

I think I may start adding up my vets bills properly, will be interesting to add up an average.
:dumbogirly: Bridget, Skipper, Fizzle, Itcy (Fatso) Bitcy (Notso) Nooby & Crunch :dumbogirly:
:rainbow: Dizzy, Pixie, Flake, Lucky, Dolly, Emili, Remi, Ellen, Leela, Rainy & Ruby :rainbow:
:love: Wherever I lay my Rat, that's my home :love:

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:37 pm

I've never kept set receipts of what I've spent as one year started to, and got depressed!

This year however I've only been in three times.. Once for a chesty rat. Once for 2 pts's :( and Once for a neuter. Grand total £45.. My rats are very well behaved!
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

RattiesRule

Post by RattiesRule » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:30 pm

I don't normally keep track of vets costs but I did last year out of curiosty.
So
2007 - £821.40

After that I decided this year I'd rather not know :lol:
http://www.rathealth.co.uk ~ The no-nonsense resource for rat health issues!
http://www.elephants.com ~ More than 2700 acres of true sanctuary for captive elephants watch the video here

aimlessdesire

Post by aimlessdesire » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:57 pm

aquajen9 wrote:I've never kept set receipts of what I've spent as one year started to, and got depressed!

Ditto, I know that I've spent in excess of £600 on ops since September last year and that's without including consultation fees and meds.
Caledonian Rattery breeding for Russian Blue Point Siamese, Black Eyed Siamese, Black and Russian Blue.

fudge7000

Post by fudge7000 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:02 am

erm... i've only got 2 rats and i think ive spent about £80 (one lump removal) per year for the last 2 years, both on the same ratty, but he;'s wroth every penny!!

becky123

Post by becky123 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:14 pm

Ooo well this year:

2 x neuters total - £96
1 x emergency op and lump sent off for analysis - £200 :o
1 x baytril course - £15
2 x steriod courses - total £30
1 x abcess sorting out - £12
Almost had to go for a lump op the other day but hours before visit it scabbed and burst (ie abcess not lump :D )

Total £353 not too bad I suppose :)

Last year I think I only went twice for Baytril with the same 3 rats but only got charged for one consultation both times so around £40 altogether with 2 consults and Baytril for 3 rats.

helzy

Post by helzy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:50 pm

£15 for a consulation and baytril for an ear infection since i had my boys. i feel quite lucky. :o
mummy to Merlin, Timbre, Artemis, Kitt, Little Ivory & Tulah. :hearts: R.I.P Cairo, Indie & Briar. :rainbow:

Oriax

Post by Oriax » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:56 pm

I don't keep records but I can work it out (more or less)

2008 - around £120
- Lynx needed an operation to remove 2 tumours. She was under the anesthetic for an hour and a half, and then needed stiches (disovable), and that costed about £120.
- She also had a few check-ups since then, but they've all been free.

2007 - around £74 - £89
- The rats needed various visits for resperitory infections and baytril doses, which costed roughly £13 each (X 3)
- They got mites, and had 1 out of 3 treatments, costing between £20-£30 (can't remember)
- Cairo had a visit because of her eye, which costed about £15-£20

Cairo and Lynx have been my only rats, Lynx being my only rat this year.
Chloe x

:olddoe: Lynx :baby: Awaiting my newbies!
:rainbow: RIP Cairo

daffee

Post by daffee » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:34 pm

My records aren't complete but I know that this year, 2008, we have so far spent £850 at the vets, but that has included emergency treatment, 4 nasty abscesses, one culture analysis and a neuter plus numerous consults, ABs courses and check ups so for the number of rats we have I don't think it's all that bad. Of course there's still 1 month to go and we are bound to go back as seem to be there almost every week the last few months :roll:

From what I can tell we only spent a little over £400 in 2007. 2006 my records aren't great but I estimate it was around £750 as our vet then was very pricey and we had 4 surgeries and a lot of consults. 2005 seems to be around £200 but we didn't have as many rats back then.
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

touie2

Post by touie2 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:36 pm

well this year I have spent loads but that includes 4 neuters and 3 rattly rats!

I think around £250 and it's only February :o
Louis :oldbuck: Apollo :olddumbobuck: Zeus :oldbuck:
:rainbow: Polo, Rolo, Rocky, Rambo, Remy, Scrumpy, Hiro, Res, Stig, Ando

sazixd

Post by sazixd » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:52 pm

too much my bill is currently sitting at 280 :o :o
:love: marley :love: harry :love: patch :love:
.........:love: fudge :love: mouse :love:
:rainbow: R.I.P all my angels :rainbow:
........xRat and Cat ladyx........

Stace87

Post by Stace87 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:46 am

This year I'm currently up to approx £190.

I've included Spike's 2nd op that he will be having soon - lump removal. The whole £190 is on Spike actually: fortnightly teeth trims, castration due to testicular tumour and the lump mentioned above. Max (RIP) never cost anything in vet bills. I would have had his tumour removed if it wouldn't have meant he'd lose a leg.

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:44 am

Weeell, thousands over the 16 years of keeping FR. For the last few years we've paid the vet a monthly sum by standing order, currently £50, and we never get way in credit and often in debit. I'd say we've spend about £500/year on average.
Mummy to Courcelles, Lilac, Feather, Midnight & Cocoa

hayleystar

Post by hayleystar » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:52 am

Lat year's bill was around £3000, this years is much better, only about £1200 so far