Joey, I will never kiss you again :(

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
Anthony

Joey, I will never kiss you again :(

Post by Anthony » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:02 am

I was just sitting here, minding my own business, when the biggest moth I have ever seen flew into my living room and started flying around like a maniac and kept trying to fly into my head. I am running around the room, scared trying to blow the moth in the right direction. Suddenly, the moth flew into the rat cage and it didn't even stop moving. Suddenly, the alpha, Joey, literally jumped from one side of the cage to the other and ATE THE MOTH :( It took about 1 minute for him to eat it all because it was so big. I was so repulsed, I had to wake my OH up (as well as probably the rest of my flat... I was screaming) :(! I am so disgusted.

Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew. Not to mention that poor moth!

What else have they been eating whilst I haven't been looking? IT WAS HUGE. :(! :(! :(!

Joey, I will never ever ever let you come anywhere near my face again :sickrat: :sickrat: :sickrat: :sickrat: :sickrat: :sickrat:
Ollie :dumbo:, Oskar :dumbo:, Riley :smileyrat:, Joey :smileyrat:, Rupert :smileyrat: Eska :teen: , Erik :teen: and The baby :dumboteen:, Miles :baby:, Axel :baby:

RIP Louis, Minnie & Ginger <3

hlcasey

Re: Joey, I will never kiss you again :(

Post by hlcasey » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:09 am

hehe our Miya (RIP) used to frequently run around with bits of moth hanging out of her mouth, or spider legs xxx
I <3 my ratties

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:24 am

It's perfectly normal behaviour really - they are natural predators for insects and even small animals. Small scuttly protien doesn't stand much of a chance if it'sdumb enough to go near a rat.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:03 am

Yum yum!
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Jird

Post by Jird » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:51 pm

Spiders are apparently a very tasty treat too - Tumnus hopped onto my (bare) legs to crunch one up during free range the other week, then ambled off again leaving the legs behind :sickrat: I still kiss him though, he's irresistible even with wiggly little leggies dangling from his chops :hearts:
Emily and the boys - Jamie, Bailey, Finn and Tumnus
Love you Bond, Liam, George, Blaze. See you at the bridge little guys.

Giz

Post by Giz » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:14 pm

As much as I agree it's gross, there's parts of the world I wouldn't be surprised if people ate those too.. They eat many insects in parts of South East Asia after all..
What really grossed me out was catching one of our first girls eating a "ratty raisin" as my OH calls it.. I found out later that this is not uncommon, and has it's benefits, but I didn't know that at the time! At that stage I was just thinking you filthy little madam!!
Currently owned by; MooMoo, Monster, Badger and Dewey
And gone but not forgotten; Pixie, Hammo, Lakitu, Kamek, Hiro, Merry, Legolas, ChimChim, Koopa, Pippin, Wonky, Faerie, Mih-Ko, BooBoo, Sniffe, Chim Chim and Peepee :hearts:

emily97

Post by emily97 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:18 pm

Yuk Yuk. :sickrat: Well I guess he liked it anyway.
Emily and my four lovely girlies Topsy :girly: , Heidi :dumbogirly: , Sophie :baby: and Vanity :baby:

herro

Post by herro » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:15 pm

ahaha! reminds me of my kitties; they eat flies. i still let them kiss me :oops: but now i'm tempted to see what the rats 'll go after! reallly tempted to buy them both a little baggie of crickets now, hah.

i totally thought this topic was going to be about "ratty raisins," too. :sickrat:

yuuki_forever

Post by yuuki_forever » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:03 pm

My Merrick used to do this. Amazing moth hunter, really slim and agile. Maybe why I fell for ratties in the first place (my berkie boys loooved spiders). I have a special hatred for moths, a huge one tried to fly in my mouth once in a packed bus station. Scream, stamp! Weird looks :o
Rukia, Misaki and Mai

Forever in my heart; Rose, Buffy, Willow, Lucius, Malachi, Morrigan, Merrick, Yuuki and Shirou

Tofu Monkey

Post by Tofu Monkey » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:38 pm

My little Shenzi seems to have a taste for the other rats droppings. Earlier I had my girls freeranging, when suddenly Shenzi came running at me with a massive, freshly made poo in her mouth. It must have fallen in one of their water bowls because it was also very wet and dissolving all over her paws/mouth very quickly. She then decided to sit on my chest and start munching away at this little brown parcel. I had to clean her up and then feed her something that would stop her breath smelling of poo :lol:
My beautiful family: Robot Timberwolf, Vegan Straightedge, Bree Van Der Rat, Wasabi Ninja, Mouse Kateer Mcstare, Charlie Peaceful, Courfeyrac Karimloo, Cleveland Chaos, Ixnay Dafoe, Shenzi Kiumbe.
R.I.P my angels :halo: Tofu Monkey, Zombie Apocalypse

smellll

Post by smellll » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:50 am

About a year ago a wasp flew in to my room and into the rat cage... I was really scared it would sting one of them so was wheeling the cage around the room like a lunatic trying to get it out but while I was doing this one of my siamese girls (can't remember who) ATE IT!!! I was so worried but she was absolutely fine :o

My Ruby is particularly skilled in catching creepy crawlies too
- Mel :)
:hearts: Scarlett, Sheena, Siouxsie, Small, Luna, Ruby & Daisy

Missing Peppa & Diego x

petrify

Post by petrify » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:54 pm

Bea used to eat spiders...She would "hunt" them in my room...was quite interesting to watch really! And flies when she could catch them. She was quite the spirited hunter! Kept my room spider free for me. I only realised she did it when she was free ranging and there was a squeak like a fighting squeak from under my bed. Afterward, she walked out with what looked like a spider leg in her mouth :sickrat: I feel sorry for the creepies!!

I dont think she ever ate a moth, though I could be wrong and in my absence she snaffled something. :roll:
Rayne & Myst Sleeping:Tempest, Ghost, Whisper, Casper, Lara, Flick, Hopeful, Little Bit, Phoenix, Lady-bum, Embie, Tommy, Fernie, Bea, Aurora, Hazel & Willow, Freya, Missy. Goos Harold & Humphrey

SophieLovesRats

Post by SophieLovesRats » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:18 pm

My doggy does this too ^_^

Gross isn't it :oops: