Live insects?

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
mort182

Re: Live insects?

Post by mort182 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:23 pm

Roxplusrats wrote:My mum keeps live meal worms to feed to her garden birds and she'll sometimes bring over a few for my ratties: they absolutely love them! All except my oldest boy, Muffin, that is, who picked one up then promptly dropped it and ran away when it wriggled, now he won't touch a mealworm at all, even when the others four are all tucking in. He's a squeamish rat!

I nearly choked on my cup of tea reading this :lol: :lol:
Caz - EC member
My girlies :girly: Poppy, Holly and Petal
Never forgetting :halo: Jessie, Gemma, Ellie, Molly, Willow, Charlie, Daisy, Betty and Jay

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:35 pm

I feed my lot mealworms every so often. It can't be a regular thing as I've heared too much protein is bad.

Rats do eat the head of first so the bugs don't suffer too much.

But as pointed out not all rats like them.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

Vicki Pickle

Post by Vicki Pickle » Wed May 20, 2009 4:24 pm

I got a free sample of live mealworms from my lovely local pet shop today. The girls went mad for them. :)

I'm not sure how long they're supposed to be kept though. I don't want to feed my girls too many at once - for fear of the bugs getting loose *shudder*, or getting an upset tummy from new food. I also don't want loads of dead bugs or worse, escapees...

Does anyone know if mealworms go on to develop later into something winged or do they just remain as wormy things until they die? So showing my ignorance ... :oops:

Also, the rustling noise they make when climbing over each others bodies is starting to gross me out. Think I'll stick with dried (and definitely NOT wriggly) in the future and give the remaining live ones to the birds.
A cage full of aging ladies: Gentle alpha Sally Cinnamon, chubster black berkie dumbo Zillah, roan alpha wannabe Bobbie and dear tilty runty Princess Wobble Buttons.

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:31 pm

They turn into black beatles. Which are sooo much worse than the mealworms and very creepy.

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Thu May 21, 2009 8:15 pm

back in the day when i kept my rats in the aviary, when i let them out to play they would scale the walls and get in every nook and cranny to get at the woodlice. takeing off the head first then nomming them down one after the other faster than i eat cake. but urgh it used to make me feel so sick. i could never purposely feed mine live insects because a, i have a bonafide phobia of insects and b, for much the same reson as i could never feed a snake a live mouse (no i dont keep snakes its just an example) but if they go out and wrangle their own live food good for them. just dont let me see of hear the crunching and defo dont come any where neer me for a good 24 hr till i stop feeling sick urgh
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

Vicki Pickle

Post by Vicki Pickle » Fri May 22, 2009 6:46 pm

Rhi01 wrote:They turn into black beatles. Which are sooo much worse than the mealworms and very creepy.

Yuk, yuk, yuk. I made the mistake of googling the life cycle of a mealworm and you'll be glad to know I couldn't cope with them in the house, so the local wild bird population had a feast yesterday morning.

The girls had about a dozen each over the course of 24 hours which they absolutely loved, but I had nightmares about black beetles that night so I chucked 'em out first thing. I must've looked a sight in my PJs, flinging a bag of mealworms across the garden at 7:30am!

From now on I'll buy the dried and definately DEAD ones.
A cage full of aging ladies: Gentle alpha Sally Cinnamon, chubster black berkie dumbo Zillah, roan alpha wannabe Bobbie and dear tilty runty Princess Wobble Buttons.

mupsy

Post by mupsy » Fri May 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Has anyone tried a locust yet? I feed them to my bearded dragon.. and the cats go crazy for them.. (although they arnt ever allowed to eat them.. just play with them)
I know my girl harry will snap your fingers off for them really long legged spiders.. im wondering if she would hunt down a locust or run away...
Essex Guinea Pig Rat and Rabbit Rescue.
Based in essex, aiming to rehabilitate and rehome all small furries in need.

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Sat May 23, 2009 10:39 pm

Vicki Pickle wrote:
Rhi01 wrote:They turn into black beatles. Which are sooo much worse than the mealworms and very creepy.

Yuk, yuk, yuk. I made the mistake of googling the life cycle of a mealworm and you'll be glad to know I couldn't cope with them in the house, so the local wild bird population had a feast yesterday morning.

The girls had about a dozen each over the course of 24 hours which they absolutely loved, but I had nightmares about black beetles that night so I chucked 'em out first thing. I must've looked a sight in my PJs, flinging a bag of mealworms across the garden at 7:30am!

From now on I'll buy the dried and definately DEAD ones.

Yes but now when they turn into beetles they will be looking for somewhere warm and safe to live/lay eggs in... can you think of somewhere? I can...your house :lol: !!