how much per kilo?

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
stormsmuggler

how much per kilo?

Post by stormsmuggler » Wed May 20, 2009 3:26 pm

A colleague and neighbour has become very interested in getting rats after visiting to see my boys and with the help of NickyE, I have found two lovely old rescuses and cage, which I will be picking up on Sunday. Lucy is a responsible pet owner having a couple of rabbits and a dog and has shown great enthusiasum by asking hundreds of questions, asking me to check her shopping list etc. she unfortunately doesn`t have the internet so cannot join the forum and our local pet shops are somewhat limited in food supplies, reggie and rupert rat are about it as far as rat foods go.
Needless to say with 15 boys I order online and add various things to make up the shunamite diet, and split larger bags of straights etc with ritzy, usually changing the mix a little every fortnight for variety. Lucy has asked if she could buy my mix from me as and when she needs it as she won`t be needing such huge quantities with only two ratties. I`ve never worked out what it costs and was wondering if anyone can give me a rough idea of what to charge her per kilo. Thanks in advance.
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all

BasilTheRat

Re: how much per kilo?

Post by BasilTheRat » Wed May 20, 2009 4:12 pm

At a guess I would say £1 per kilo would be a fair price!

(edit) perhaps £1.50 a kilo thinking about it. Depends on how many ingredients you put in the mix... Wouldn't want to charge anyone more than £1.50 a kilo personally.
Andy and the ratties: Seven, Kes, Luna, Ada, Orion, Bandit
:rainbow: Janeway, Shandy, Deanna, Izzy, Kira
And the youngest of the family is moving with authority,
Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside...

Marianimal

Post by Marianimal » Thu May 21, 2009 4:26 pm

I was just trying to find this thread - I sell my mix to my sister (who is very lazy and do NOT get me started on poorly informed owners...) and I'm just about to sit down and work out how much it all costs me to get - including petrol - so I'll let you know what I come up with!
FP Girls, Oldies, Pink Wrinklies and Wrinkle Men II.
Sleep tight everyone else.

Marianimal

Post by Marianimal » Thu May 21, 2009 5:20 pm

Worked it out! I have mine in a 30 litre bin and it costs me £29.49 (including fuel) to fill it, roughly, well I can't remember how much Banana Brunch I put in it! :lol: So 0.983 pence a litre! - A jugful in other words!

A jugful is 400g, so 12kg in the bin and £2.45 per kilo rounding it up. Sounds like quite a lot! :/

Hope that makes some sense and is at all useful! XD
FP Girls, Oldies, Pink Wrinklies and Wrinkle Men II.
Sleep tight everyone else.

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Thu May 21, 2009 8:00 pm

hiya, it depends on wheather you want to just ask a nominal price like say £1.50-£2.50 that she would pat in the shop for a kilo. or you could work out the cost of everything you put in your mix, the total weight of the final mix and divide it per kilo.

for example;

7kg of p@h nuggets= £7.50
500g cereal A = £2.50
500g cereal b= £1.50
500g pasta = £1.00
500g mixed nuts seeds= £2.00

makes a total of

9kg of food and total cost of £14

divide the total cost by the total kg to get the price per kg

9kg of food costing £14 = £1.50 per kg

if you vary your mix regulary your cost will prob fluctuate so you may want to work out an average and charge that every time. wheather you include other costs such as petrol prices or packageing is another thing to consider. you may wish to be nice and only ask a nominal amount of money but over time you could be operating at a loss. for example if you ask £1.50 for a mix that costs you £2.50 to make and a kg lasts your friend 1wk over the life span of the animal you would loose approximately £143 useing the average life span of the rat to be 2 and 3/4 years.
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Thu May 21, 2009 9:54 pm

Thanks for all the great imput everyone. At the end of the day I`m more concerned that these boys get a healthy diet in their old age than making any profit, rather than some boring pet shop crud. Looking at the price of basic rat mix in local shop I think £1.75 per kilo would be about right. I`ve never sat down and worked out what my lot cost to feed and with having so many beasties some foods have dual use ie garlic powder for horse and rats, bird seed for cockateil and rats, rabbit food and fresh greens for rabbits and rats, dog biscuits kibble and choc drops for dogs and rats, contents of shopping basket for humans and rats. :roll: The rats seem to do pretty well really.
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Thu May 21, 2009 9:57 pm

stormsmuggler wrote:I think £1.75 per kilo would be about right.

That sounds like a fair price!

(edit) Contradicted myself a little bit there, but only by 25p :wink:
Andy and the ratties: Seven, Kes, Luna, Ada, Orion, Bandit
:rainbow: Janeway, Shandy, Deanna, Izzy, Kira
And the youngest of the family is moving with authority,
Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside...

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Thu May 21, 2009 10:18 pm

i wasnt suggesting you try and make a profit out of your friend. but with todays financial climate i was suggesting to help you keep watch on your pennies and not give your money away feeding other people animals when you could spend it looking after your own. but at the end of the day its your money and the amount you ask should be something you feel comfortable with. if £1.75 sound good to you, then thats the right price :D its a very reasonable price for 1kg of food regardless of whats in it. take care best wishes to your friend and their new ratties
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

caz07

Post by caz07 » Sat May 23, 2009 11:21 am

i use to give my ex free food for his rats and provide food and bedding if they were at mine and silly thing was he has a lot more money than me maybe i should have charged him.

i would work out how much of each iteam you add to your mix ie base mix dog kibble ect then work out how much that weight of each iteam cost then work out how many killos is there in all and how much that cost in total.

the divide cost by the amount of kilo's there are and you should work out how much each kilo cost.

I presonaly could no longer afford to give mix away so i would charge at cost.

or another thing i might do is ask them to buy some of the iteams for the mix and you both share them.

Just my thoughts
Owned By My girls Holly,Roxy and (miss Rat) and Barney,Boris and Huxley
Never forgetting my Ginger (28/12/08), Cookie,Chess (02/05/09) Rata-Chewy(18/8/09) Domino,Whiskas,Basil. Ratimus, Paws, Queenie,Noel
Rest in peace my babies you are sadly missed