Fat rat

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
Ratty_Rhian

Fat rat

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:39 pm

My alpha female is putting on weight rapidly. She was about 350g when we got her and is now almost 500g. We feed the Shumanite along with fresh low fat fresh food daily.

Also in the group are 3 other females. 1 of which has lost about 75g since being here as she is now much more active and doesn't sleep and eat all day as she did and another adult female is just about 300g. I also have a castrated male in the group who isn't putting on weight either. How can I get Mel to lose weight? Before you ask, there is no way she could be pregnant as our male has been done a good few months.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

ratties1

Re: Fat rat

Post by ratties1 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:27 am

hi,
ive just been trying to find out the correct weight for rats and have just weighed mine.i have a male who comes in at 680g and two females.one who i thought was really small is 369g and her cagemate is 454g.i dont think my smallest is as small now as there is all different guides but am going by females can weigh 200-500g and the males 400-700g.midnight she is really active specially compared to her cagemate beamer.am not sure for the losing weight bit.i always thought my bigger female was a bit over weight but she comes in under the guide lines so am not sure.its a bit confusing really!!! :)
My girlies Shadow and Pip. :D xx
R.I.P Beamer, Splinter, Midnight , Silver (gone to soon, r.i.p gorgeous girl) xx

New boys Seymour and Sebastion xx

yoshimi

Post by yoshimi » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:23 am

weight means nothing in rats, you can have a perfectly healthy female at 250g or 550g, very much like humans, what is healthy for a petite 5'4" is not healthy for an athletic 5'10".

you need to look more at whether they are fat, bingo wings seem to be the first real sign. weighing is useful, but only over time, so for instace I know that one of my girls was a consistant 325, now she is 275 so we have started feeding her up. another was a consistant 450g and now hal ballooned to 520 so we are looking to reduce her calorie intake. but orther girls in my group are 275g and healthy, and similarly some are 550g and not fat.

To the OP, there are a number of things you can try, such as scatter feeding, and making them all work a little harder for their food, this tends to mean that the more active rats get more food. You will probably need to provide less food overall though as you are currently putting enough in the cage for most to eat their fill and the larger rat to eat more then she needs. You can also put the food and all of the smaller rats in the cage before the large girl goes in, which gives the others chance to eat what they need before "large" gets to the food.

lso look at the calorific content of your mix, is there white pasta in there which is higher calorie, do they get lots of treats etc.

FInally, increasing excercise, by getting them out to play on the stairs or introducing a wheel can work, but encouraging a fat rat to participate can be like pushing jelly up a hill as they tend to only go as far as it takes them to find a corner to go to sleep in :lol:
The Goodwin Girls: Freya, Hnoss, Saga, Sagatoo, Dita, Strike Bullet & Hel :girly: RIP Champs, most recent to the bridge
Sarah Carling on Twitter, Sarah Carling on Linkedin, Sarah Carling on Facebook

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:20 am

yoshimi wrote:weight means nothing in rats, you can have a perfectly healthy female at 250g or 550g, very much like humans, what is healthy for a petite 5'4" is not healthy for an athletic 5'10".

you need to look more at whether they are fat, bingo wings seem to be the first real sign. weighing is useful, but only over time, so for instace I know that one of my girls was a consistant 325, now she is 275 so we have started feeding her up. another was a consistant 450g and now hal ballooned to 520 so we are looking to reduce her calorie intake. but orther girls in my group are 275g and healthy, and similarly some are 550g and not fat.

To the OP, there are a number of things you can try, such as scatter feeding, and making them all work a little harder for their food, this tends to mean that the more active rats get more food. You will probably need to provide less food overall though as you are currently putting enough in the cage for most to eat their fill and the larger rat to eat more then she needs. You can also put the food and all of the smaller rats in the cage before the large girl goes in, which gives the others chance to eat what they need before "large" gets to the food.

lso look at the calorific content of your mix, is there white pasta in there which is higher calorie, do they get lots of treats etc.

FInally, increasing excercise, by getting them out to play on the stairs or introducing a wheel can work, but encouraging a fat rat to participate can be like pushing jelly up a hill as they tend to only go as far as it takes them to find a corner to go to sleep in :lol:
Thanks. Think I'll go with keeping Mel out when the food arrives and scatter feeding. They did have a wheel but were not interested in the slightest and during free range time she just sits not doing much. She used to be really active when there were just 2 of them but started to get more inactive as the group got bigger.

She doesn't have bingo wings, she's just looking really round, kinda like a guy is his 50's who has an office job. She doesn't have flab, just a round tummy which sort of look like she's pregnant but she can't possibly be. They get no treats whatsoever and i think their food is not really that calorific. Mel also doesn't appear to be first at the food bowl as it's usually my lightest little girl.

I also make sure that they have at least 3 hours every day when they have no food at all I do have white pasta in the mix but it accounts for less than 1/10 by volume of the total mix. If they were all fat then I would be less baffled but I'm happy with the weight of the rest of them. I don't use a ball but could that work? I find them a little cruel but if it's going to stop her getting obese then I'm willing to try.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

yoshimi

Post by yoshimi » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:09 pm

I think you'd find that even if you put her in a ball, she would roll it up into a corner and go to sleep in the bottom :D
The Goodwin Girls: Freya, Hnoss, Saga, Sagatoo, Dita, Strike Bullet & Hel :girly: RIP Champs, most recent to the bridge
Sarah Carling on Twitter, Sarah Carling on Linkedin, Sarah Carling on Facebook

not_ginger

Post by not_ginger » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:48 am

yoshimi wrote:I think you'd find that even if you put her in a ball, she would roll it up into a corner and go to sleep in the bottom :D
Yep, that's exactly what mine did! Roll the ball into (inexplicably) the bathroom and fall asleep!
*Angela*
And Ronan :smileyrat: ,Riddle :smileyrat: ,Ralph :dumbo: ,Roland :dumbo: ,Boots :teen: ,Bloo :teen: ,tilty Roobarb :teen: and the new babies Baldrick :baby: and runty Gaspode :dumbobaby:
R.I.P rainbow rats :rainbow: Missing Rooney already :(